Eurotunnel Shuttle Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Stryder, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Here's a query for any avid trainspotters out there. I'm currently trying to work out the Average litres of fuel consumed by a laden Eurotunnel Shuttle (Cars/Buses/Truck loads).

The reason I'm querying this is because I'm trying to work out if it makes more sense(*) to have such trains "shuttling" or "piggybacking" vehicles to and from destinations 100 miles apart or if the cars would actually consume less fuel in total if they drove the distance themselves.

(* in regards to making more sense I actually mean less fuel consumption, less CO[sub]2[/sub] emissions and less road congestions. Obviously track maintenance would have to be taken into account separately and pitted against road surface refacing costs)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Iceaura,
    Thanks for finding that link.

I'd hunted around a bit previously and got a whole bunch of different lists of data. Most tend to state that trains burn more fuel if they are dealing with inclines and dealing with slowing down for bends etc.

There is always a base fuel cost just for the engine to move alone, there is obviously also the added problem that some rail tracks are actually electric not deisel which means that a hybrid train can be used. Still it would be nice to know which is cheaper, Cars/trucks moving by road over distance or Cars/Trucks getting a taxi service there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.