Is Jesus God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by StrawDog, Feb 6, 2009.

1. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Can some of you Christians please clarify whether in Christianity (whatever denomination), Jesus is G-d? Are these two distinctly different beings? Is there a simplistic YES or NO answer?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

He's *a* god. Christianity pretends to be monotheistic but has many deities with divine powers present in the gods of other religions. Jesus, Yahweh, Elohim, Satan, various demons, various saints, various angels, etc. They're all the gods of Christianity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I asked the same question and did not receive a straight answer. All I got was that the almighty creator's name is God.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I was always taught that Jesus was God in human form.
    That didn't make much sense..

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

especially when he starts talking to God outloud on the cross - an internal dialogue would have been more appropriate

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Maybe he was possessed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

12. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I am not a Christian, but I know quite a bit about Christian doctrines and dogmas of their rich and varied history.
    Generally, yes, Christianity views Jesus as God. The human incarnation of The Son, a component of the Holy Trinity. This is the mainstream view in Christianity, as Trinitarian theology is the most commonplace theological outlook in that religion.
    HOWEVER, there are some Christian branches (Arians and Nestorians in the Roman times, and some radical protestants in modern day) that hold to a more unitarian view of the Christian God, and see Jesus as redeemer and saviour, but not himself divine.

And to those claiming Christianity and the Trinity is "evidence" of polytheism in that religion:
    I am polytheist. I know what polytheism is. Christianity is not it. Stop claiming that they are; it is insulting to Christianity, and mildly annoying to polytheists who know theology.

13. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Thanks Hapsburg.

Do Christians agree with this? This sounds like a "YES".

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

In Xianity, God's consciousness is a collective with 3 distinct parts that can act as a whole or independently. Jesus was one of those parts.

15. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

hell no jesus aint God. you can say he's his own god, like everyone is potentially their own god, but is he God? never.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is God God ? lol

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I heard we are all God?

18. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

So to a Christian, is a simplistic answer possible. Such as: Yes, Jesus is G-d?

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It would be more accurately Jesus is 1/3 of God.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I always thought JC was more like 47%...

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

A simple answer is possible, but not completely accurate. Catholic (or, more generally, Trinitarian) theology is incredibly complex, and is difficult for many to understand.
    As such, it's difficult to have a simple answer for things with questions regarding Trinitarianism. Though, if you HAD to simplify it: yes. Most Christians view Jesus as God.

In Christianity, Elohim and Yahweh are just alternate names for God the Father; it's the same guy. Jesus is considered to be God the Son.
    Satan, demons, saints, and angels are not gods, in any way whatsoever. To call them such is a vast misunderstanding of the Christian concept of deity.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

You can say that, but then you would be completely wrong.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Hey Hey - I know I know: God works in mysterious ways and it's just too complex for the human mind to comprehend. To do so may even be blasphemy!

anyway, JC is like 47% of the trinity called God, HG is 12%, YWHA makes up about 20% and we make up the rest.