is water more than the sum of its parts ?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by thinking, Feb 6, 2009.

1. thinking Banned Banned

what is water inotherwords ?

well we know that to PRODUCE water we need H2O

putting all H2O bonds explaination aside

is not the manifestation of the liquid we call water , more than the sum of its parts ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

From what I understand how can water ever be more than what it is made up of?:shrug:

It wouldn't be water any longer if something more was included.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thinking Banned Banned

look all bonds involved in the production of water , the manifestation of the liquid we call water , are particle based

but is the liquid we call water particle based ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It has atoms of oxygen and hydrogen that bond together to become a molecule of water.

8. thinking Banned Banned

true but thats not my point

see post #3

9. thinking Banned Banned

you see to me , the liquid we call water is a consequence of H2O , which are particles

hydrogen becomes liquid a minus 256 and oxygen becomes liquid at minus 236

and yet when combined they both become liquid as H2O at room temp.

I find that fascinating

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

This seems to be more of a question of philosophy than chemistry. If you define water only as a molecule the water as substance of many molecules are properties not found in a single molecule of water (the properties arising through the interaction of water molecules). If you define water as simple atoms of protons and oxygen than not only is water more through molecular interactions but through properties inherent of a single molecule of water. For example a molecules of water have electronic polarity which neither oxygen nor hydogen atoms have (though they are still subject to London dispersion force, which is why they manage to form liquids at all)

11. thinking Banned Banned

but is it ?

explain

" atoms of protons "

again explain

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I believe you (and others) are overlooking what's really important here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

YES, it is MUCH, MUCH more than just the sum of it's parts.

Consider a volume of free hydrogen and oxygen. Elements, yes, but that's about it. However, when combined into water they form what is called the "universal solvent" - meaning most things will form a solution when they come in contact with it. Liquid water is also the very basis of life as we know it, thanks to that.

It also has a powerful ability to shape the face of the planet - something the plain gasses alone would have little effect on.

I could easily write two or three more paragraphs (about weather, moderation of climate, etc.) but I suspect you are stsrting to get the picture by now.

13. thinking Banned Banned

YES, it is MUCH, MUCH more than just the sum of it's parts.

Consider a volume of free hydrogen and oxygen. Elements, yes, but that's about it. However, when combined into water they form what is called the "universal solvent" - meaning most things will form a solution when they come in contact with it. Liquid water is also the very basis of life as we know it, thanks to that.

It also has a powerful ability to shape the face of the planet - something the plain gasses alone would have little effect on.

write at least 5 paragraphs Read-Only

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I've gotten you off to a very good start - now it's your turn.

15. thinking Banned Banned

water is electromagnetic , Neutral in Nature , hence waters ph

water is the manifestation of the energy in the space between the proton and electron

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The universal solvent bit is actually pretty funny. The ancient alchemists spent a lot of time searching for the universal solvent, not realizing that they were drinking the closest thing to it every day! Even funnier, if they truly had found a solvent that would disolve absolutely anything........what would they have stored it in?

17. thinking Banned Banned

SO.. therefore the importance of knowledge

18. thinking Banned Banned

madanthonywayne , so now what ?

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Water is seldomn neutral in nature, but then, pure water is seldom found in nature.

Water is neutral in pH because the same molecule that gives a proton, leaves behind a Hydroxide ion, this 1 to 1 stoichiometry gives it a neutral pH.

Water is electrically neutral, yes, however an individual water molecule has an over all electric dipole - the Oxygen atom holds the electrons more closely to it then the hydrogen atoms do, giving the hydrogen atoms a slight positive charge, and the oxygen atom a slight negative charge (see electronegativity).

Water is liquid at room temperature, unlike the other Group 16 Hydrides (or the Hydrides on either side of it) because the dipole moment is strong enough, and the water can form hydrogen bonds enough that it has a substantially elevated boiling point.

Ammonia and Hydrogen Flouride also form hydrogen bonds, however, Ammonia has fewer free non bonding electrons then water, and Hydrogen Flouride has fewer hydrogens.

Water just happens to fill that niche where the Oxygen is small enough and electronegative enough that it can form a strong dipole moment and the molecule can form more than one hydrogen bond per molecule (as opposed to Ammonia and Hydrogen flouride which can only form one per molecule).

water is the manifestation of the energy in the space between the proton and electron[/QUOTE]

20. thinking Banned Banned

what strengh does the dipole moment have that permits water to become liquid at room temperature ?

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

When you ask a question like that your summoning philosophics. Whole books have been written about water, infinite discussion can be summoned from the simplest subject, which is why science is divided into section of relevances, water has importance from geography to biology (al Read-Only) to chemistry and physics. If you want to talk about water beyond what it is chemically that not relevant to this subforum.

I did. I don't think it can be simplified more without reiteration, calling something by its part does not describe its whole, steel does not describe the totality of a gun, an ant does not describe the totality of etymology, hydrogen and oxygen does not describe the totality of water.

Hydrogen is often confusing because the word means both the element and the molecule H2, thus proton or protium is a better descriptor of just the atom of hydrogen.

22. copernicus66 Banned Banned

So you're essentially asking whether the liquid water demonstrates unique properties not exhibited by individual water molecules?

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't that be a given?