DTV: Worldwide?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by godblessatheism, Jan 13, 2009.

1. godblessatheism Registered Member

First does anyone know if other countries around the world are converting to purely digital television transmissions much like here in the U.S.?

Second what do you think the digital conversion will mean for both the US and possibly the world?

Doesn't it seem strange the the US government is so concerned about the visual quality of our entertainment?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually America is catching up with Europe. They have had 1080 lines of resolution for over a decade already!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

The UK is switching over in 2010 I think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Evidenly you missed the primary reasons for the government wanting to make the switch. :shrug:

8. John99 Banned Banned

yeah they must be putting cameras and microphones in the system for spying on you picking your nose on the couch.

9. godblessatheism Registered Member

evidenTly I did miss the primary reasoning behind the whole thing...please feel free to enlighten me...

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

OK. The radio spectrum is practically full. Converting to digital from analog will free up a great deal of it. Quite a bit was already desperately needed for emergency services (fire, police, EMT, etc.) and that was the only way to get it for them.

Additionally, quite a bit is also needed to expand cell phone service provision ans well as other wireless applications. The Treasury has already made several millions of dollars by pre-auctioning most of the bands that will be freed up.

The enhanced TV quality is just a byproduct of the conversion, not the driving consideration at all.