Going on Safari

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband is an avid fisherman. He received a pamphlet offering guided fishing and hunting expeditions. The week in Alaska fishing sounds nice ($5250) and he deserves a vacation.

What caught my attention was the fact that an elephant hunt cost $1100 while an leopard cost $19,250. Also, a rhino is $7000, but you can't kill it.

Are leopards more endangered than elephants? Is that why?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

This is ridiculous. With the guns out there today how can anyone miss an elephant? I remember a long time ago i was with a friend and he was bragging the his uncle was such a great hunter.

I told him it is easy and he laughed and called me a fool. Being that we were in a forest at the time as luck would have it we came upon a few deer in a field. We were even driving in a car and when the deer hear us approaching they just stood there and didnt move. To me they seemed to be in shock or figured that by keeping still we would just pass by.

Very simple, if you ask me and nothing to brag about.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so is that an elephant is cheaper? Its easier to hit?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

I think the cost difference would be more that Leopards are more rare, and they are probably harder to track -- maybe it takes longer? I would say that an elephant is definitely more dangerous than a leopard.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I agree. I haven't heard of too many leopards charging a landrover.

9. John99 Banned Banned

"so is that an elephant is cheaper? Its easier to hit?"

i dont know how to charge for that. hunters being killed while in the process of hunting must be very few. we can reasonable eliminate it being more dangerous.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

If you don't hit an elephant in the right spot its not going to go down anytime soon.

11. John99 Banned Banned

I know that.

12. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

What kind of freak would want to kill an elephant or a leopard???

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thank god someone said that wsionynw. I was watching a show on african big game hunting by that BBC reporter. There was this "hunter" who said he would kill anything that he could aford, and how much more humane it was to hunt than to buy meat in a supermarket. My responce was "I want to see you eat what you kill, kill an elephant you have to eat EVERY BIT of it"

The only ethical reasons to kill an animal is a) self defence b)to put down an animal in pain (like a pet) c) food

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Actually elephant is a very good meat, it is comparable to Buffalo.

It is a dark red meat with purple overtones, and the tenderloins are humongus, and very tender and tasty.

Elephants that are hunted for sport and animal control, are butchered and distributed to the people in the area, a 6100 LB elephant yield's about 1300-1400 LBS of edible meat, and that is enough to feed a minimum of 240 villagers for a month.

Most large game that is taken in sport hunting is given to the Villagers to supplement their diets, so the meat never goes to waste.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

A friend of mine who owns a sporting goods store brought me a tenderloin and several sirloin cuts, from one of his Safari's to Africa.

Whart Hog is great to.

My favorite way of making elephant steak is over charcoal, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, marinated in beer for 24 hours.

The other way is with a ginger, sesame, soy, marinade, and again over charcoal.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes, if your sitting in a Stand over a corn pile.

Having hunted for most of my life, shooting a animal is not a peace of cake, it take skill to reliably hit a animal at unknown distances, and proper bullet placement is critical.

Go to a range if you can, and see how well you do.

Place your rifle on the shooting table, go back 100 yards, run as fast as you can to the table and then engage the target from the standing position, at a Minim range 100 yards, that will give you some idea of what shooting in a hunt is like, now add to that, depending on the game a rifle that kicks with,

.30-06 Spfd. (180 gr. bullet at 2700) 20.3 ftp at 12.8 fps.

375 H&H magnum (270gr. bullet at 2690) 36.1 ftp of recoil at 16.1 fps.

to a 458 Win. Mag. (500gr. bullet at 2100) at 62.3 ftp, of recoil at 21.1 fps.

You will be in for a treat.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hunting with guns is like shooting fish in a barrel. It is mindlessly cruel and unnecessary.

19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Have you ever done so?

Just try and shoot fish in a barrel, it isn't as easy as you think.

The best stories in camp are about the missed shots.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've done so and I've quit when I learned more about the stupidity that I was doing. Many times I had hit an animal, small critters usually, and only winged it. It probably died from the wound later on but I must have caused it considerable suffering waiting until it finally died.

That's when I picked up a camera and went out with people that enjoyed to outdoors but not the killing but the ability to get a better photograph than anyone else, sit around the camfire discussing how to improving camera techniques and other types of photographic and nature things.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, they cull elephants as it is. :shrug: Might as well make a nice profit while its done. And I'm sure the people who live around there get the meat. Its not like you can pack up tons of it and take it home.

A leopard, well, I would think its eaten in Africa as well.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

They offer bow hunting as well. Humans made it to the top of the food chain by using the best weapon they had, their brains. I sure as hell wouldn't go hunting with a rock when I didn't have to.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He would love that, thanks cosmic. I'll suggest it.
    But just to be clear, he doesn't hunt. He fishes.
    Not real clear on why people are more ok with that, but they are.