why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by laladopi, Dec 31, 2008.

1. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?
    If atheist's are they way one should view/or know the world shouldn't they be considered just human organisms?

Now, the same thing could be said about theists or agnostics but they believe that each individual has a value of everlasting worth if you will so they believe they are not just humans living from birth to the enviable death.

Now this is not what what is right in my mind, but a thought.

disclaimer: I am not responsible for any offenses made during this thread. For this is only a thought.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Believing something does not make it so, and equally disbelief doesn't alter the truth. If we do possess immortal souls and/or have a special purpose (other than to survive and procreate) then the fact that some people are Atheists will not change the nature of all human beings.
    Unless you're going to go all existential on my ass and start quoting Descartes

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The thread title and the question in the OP don't match...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

atheist make a point to be god because they are very dogmatic or closed minded or seeking evidence or wondering what is true and not beliving anything other than what they "know" is the truth until they eventually die and are no longer able to talk or breathe and finally undersand that whatever truth that they lived and died for they are now subject to the mercy of.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

I think atheist are less close minded then theist. Not having a aftherlife isn't the happiest tought it's considering the evidences the most likely scenario.

9. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

What's makes you think that?

10. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

An Atheist and a Theist are as closed-minded as eachother when it comes to the existence of God. Yet, a Theist will never be criticised for being so because at least he/she believes in something.
    Only that strange branch of Atheism, Agnosticism, has any real claim to so called 'open-mindedness'.

What evidence is this? Do you care to provide it?
    To my knowledge, no evidence exists to disprove or prove the existence of God(s). However, I also have no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a band of fairies dancing around my garden as I type.

11. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Well being an atheist means you follow the rules of physics, evolution along with sufficient evidence and reasoning for anything. Theist's goal is to learn everything and become everything, everyone can accomplish anything. The one question that comes into my mind is that back in the stone age there wasn't a "known" reason that they lived for. How today there are 6+ billion people and all of them get helped into whatever there is out there besides what we can't even conceive as truth. As for agnostic's they do not take any responsibility for making a decision because it is not what is right to them. Atheist's Known everything around them and see what they believe and know that they are just human organisms trying to survive. So why be considered atheist's when your beliefs states that "your just another organism surviving", you know your right so there needist be nothing more, you are human.

I am not some devout catholic, I'm just saying.

There is no true evidence unless you believe in it.

12. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Really? Well that's odd, because when I've looked it up in the dictionary it's always just said 'someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God(s)'. Therefore, an Atheist can believe in any other aspect of the supernatural (except the existence of God(s)) and still be an Atheist. Moreover, Atheism is not Darwinism, and there were plenty of non-believers before the theory of evolution came along.

The definition of a Theist is someone who believes in one or more Gods; there is no other common ground between them. Besides, have you spoken to any devout Christians or Muslims recently? They're not exactly the liberal paradise of free information and movement that you described.

Yes, the meaning of life is in the realm of common knowledge and acceptance nowadays.

See my first paragraph. So you think all Atheists, Darwinists and Scientists believe life is futile and we are all worthless? Please, you seem a nice person, don't ruin it will such infuriatingly ignorant statements.

13. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Well what I am saying is the difference between someone that doesn't believe in a God(s) have to know other wise, While theist's 'should' look to the other side of things, although my statements have come off quite ignorant, but I am not. My boyfriends mother is an Atheist and she has to be one of the most nicest people I know and me being I don't know, it doesn't make a difference.

14. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

15. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

GAH! I'm sorry for my weird sentence structure. What I'm trying to say is atheists believe in something besided the common belief of theists that there is a reasoning for life. Which is the opposite of rather the chance of it all happening....Does that make sense?

16. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Rofl

Erm... sort of. However, whether you believe life has a meaning or not has nothing to do with being an Atheist. I know I've said it about three times before, but Atheism is just not believing in God. The existence of God isn't the only way life could have a meaning: some say it is self-realisation or the pursuit of enlightenment. Not every Atheist simply thinks that our sole purpose is to survive and keep surviving.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They don't. Theists make a point of it.

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I can't even make head nor tail of the OP.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's lala. Hence the posts are word salad. I think she might be the 3rd person to make it to my ignore list.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I enjoy pissing theists off!

21. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

seriously? you cannot make anything out of it?

22. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

No! not the ignore list, you'll never be able to be mean to me again!
    I really don't think its that incoherent...

23. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Human beings are genetically prone to the behaviors that lead to theism, so I think that atheists are just more more noticeable.

*should* view the world? Yes, atheists and theists are biological organisms. Primates specifically.

As long as they keep those beliefs to themselves it doesn't matter to me.