Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?

  1. #1
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193

    why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?

    Why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?
    If atheist's are they way one should view/or know the world shouldn't they be considered just human organisms?

    Now, the same thing could be said about theists or agnostics but they believe that each individual has a value of everlasting worth if you will so they believe they are not just humans living from birth to the enviable death.

    Now this is not what what is right in my mind, but a thought.

    disclaimer: I am not responsible for any offenses made during this thread. For this is only a thought.

  2. #2
    Whose Worth's unknown Cellar_Door's Avatar
    Posts
    1,310
    Now, the same thing could be said about theists or agnostics but they believe that each individual has a value of everlasting worth if you will so they believe they are not just humans living from birth to the enviable death.
    Believing something does not make it so, and equally disbelief doesn't alter the truth. If we do possess immortal souls and/or have a special purpose (other than to survive and procreate) then the fact that some people are Atheists will not change the nature of all human beings.
    Unless you're going to go all existential on my ass and start quoting Descartes

  3. #3
    As a mother, I am telling you Syzygys's Avatar
    Posts
    12,643
    The thread title and the question in the OP don't match...

  4. #4
    atheist make a point to be god because they are very dogmatic or closed minded or seeking evidence or wondering what is true and not beliving anything other than what they "know" is the truth until they eventually die and are no longer able to talk or breathe and finally undersand that whatever truth that they lived and died for they are now subject to the mercy of.

  5. #5
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,272
    I think atheist are less close minded then theist. Not having a aftherlife isn't the happiest tought it's considering the evidences the most likely scenario.

  6. #6
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by orcot View Post
    I think atheist are less close minded then theist. Not having a aftherlife isn't the happiest tought it's considering the evidences the most likely scenario.
    What's makes you think that?

  7. #7
    Whose Worth's unknown Cellar_Door's Avatar
    Posts
    1,310
    An Atheist and a Theist are as closed-minded as eachother when it comes to the existence of God. Yet, a Theist will never be criticised for being so because at least he/she believes in something.
    Only that strange branch of Atheism, Agnosticism, has any real claim to so called 'open-mindedness'.

    considering the evidences the most likely scenario.
    What evidence is this? Do you care to provide it?
    To my knowledge, no evidence exists to disprove or prove the existence of God(s). However, I also have no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a band of fairies dancing around my garden as I type.

  8. #8
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellar_Door View Post
    An Atheist and a Theist are as closed-minded as eachother when it comes to the existence of God. Yet, a Theist will never be criticised for being so because at least he/she believes in something.
    Only that strange branch of Atheism, Agnosticism, has any real claim to so called 'open-mindedness'.
    Well being an atheist means you follow the rules of physics, evolution along with sufficient evidence and reasoning for anything. Theist's goal is to learn everything and become everything, everyone can accomplish anything. The one question that comes into my mind is that back in the stone age there wasn't a "known" reason that they lived for. How today there are 6+ billion people and all of them get helped into whatever there is out there besides what we can't even conceive as truth. As for agnostic's they do not take any responsibility for making a decision because it is not what is right to them. Atheist's Known everything around them and see what they believe and know that they are just human organisms trying to survive. So why be considered atheist's when your beliefs states that "your just another organism surviving", you know your right so there needist be nothing more, you are human.

    I am not some devout catholic, I'm just saying.



    What evidence is this? Do you care to provide it?
    To my knowledge, no evidence exists to disprove or prove the existence of God(s). However, I also have no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a band of fairies dancing around my garden as I type.
    There is no true evidence unless you believe in it.

  9. #9
    Whose Worth's unknown Cellar_Door's Avatar
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    Well being an atheist means you follow the rules of physics, evolution along with sufficient evidence and reasoning for anything.
    Really? Well that's odd, because when I've looked it up in the dictionary it's always just said 'someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God(s)'. Therefore, an Atheist can believe in any other aspect of the supernatural (except the existence of God(s)) and still be an Atheist. Moreover, Atheism is not Darwinism, and there were plenty of non-believers before the theory of evolution came along.

    Theist's goal is to learn everything and become everything, everyone can accomplish anything.
    The definition of a Theist is someone who believes in one or more Gods; there is no other common ground between them. Besides, have you spoken to any devout Christians or Muslims recently? They're not exactly the liberal paradise of free information and movement that you described.

    The one question that comes into my mind is that back in the stone age there wasn't a "known" reason that they lived for.
    Yes, the meaning of life is in the realm of common knowledge and acceptance nowadays.

    So why be considered atheist's when your beliefs states that "your just another organism surviving", you know your right so there needist be nothing more, you are human.
    See my first paragraph. So you think all Atheists, Darwinists and Scientists believe life is futile and we are all worthless? Please, you seem a nice person, don't ruin it will such infuriatingly ignorant statements.

  10. #10
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellar_Door View Post
    Really? Well that's odd, because when I've looked it up in the dictionary it's always just said 'someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God(s)'. Therefore, an Atheist can believe in any other aspect of the supernatural (except the existence of God(s)) and still be an Atheist. Moreover, Atheism is not Darwinism, and there were plenty of non-believers before the theory of evolution came along.



    The definition of a Theist is someone who believes in one or more Gods; there is no other common ground between them. Besides, have you spoken to any devout Christians or Muslims recently? They're not exactly the liberal paradise of free information and movement that you described.



    Yes, the meaning of life is in the realm of common knowledge and acceptance nowadays.



    See my first paragraph. So you think all Atheists, Darwinists and Scientists believe life is futile and we are all worthless? Please, you seem a nice person, don't ruin it will such infuriatingly ignorant statements.
    Well what I am saying is the difference between someone that doesn't believe in a God(s) have to know other wise, While theist's 'should' look to the other side of things, although my statements have come off quite ignorant, but I am not. My boyfriends mother is an Atheist and she has to be one of the most nicest people I know and me being I don't know, it doesn't make a difference.

  11. #11
    Whose Worth's unknown Cellar_Door's Avatar
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    Well what I am saying is the difference between someone that doesn't believe in a God(s) have to know other wise, While theist's 'should' look to the other side of things, although my statements have come off quite ignorant, but I am not. My boyfriends mother is an Atheist and she has to be one of the most nicest people I know and me being I don't know, it doesn't make a difference.

  12. #12
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    GAH! I'm sorry for my weird sentence structure. What I'm trying to say is atheists believe in something besided the common belief of theists that there is a reasoning for life. Which is the opposite of rather the chance of it all happening....Does that make sense?

  13. #13
    Whose Worth's unknown Cellar_Door's Avatar
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    GAH! I'm sorry for my weird sentence structure. What I'm trying to say is atheists believe in something besided the common belief of theists that there is a reasoning for life. Which is the opposite of rather the chance of it all happening....Does that make sense?
    Rofl Erm... sort of. However, whether you believe life has a meaning or not has nothing to do with being an Atheist. I know I've said it about three times before, but Atheism is just not believing in God. The existence of God isn't the only way life could have a meaning: some say it is self-realisation or the pursuit of enlightenment. Not every Atheist simply thinks that our sole purpose is to survive and keep surviving.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    Why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?
    They don't. Theists make a point of it.

  15. #15
    O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Steve100's Avatar
    Posts
    2,340
    I can't even make head nor tail of the OP.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve100 View Post
    I can't even make head nor tail of the OP.
    It's lala. Hence the posts are word salad. I think she might be the 3rd person to make it to my ignore list.

  17. #17
    Be kind to yourself always. cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Posts
    30,698
    I enjoy pissing theists off!

  18. #18
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve100 View Post
    I can't even make head nor tail of the OP.
    seriously? you cannot make anything out of it?

  19. #19
    time for change. laladopi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by phlogistician View Post
    It's lala. Hence the posts are word salad. I think she might be the 3rd person to make it to my ignore list.
    No! not the ignore list, you'll never be able to be mean to me again!
    I really don't think its that incoherent...

  20. #20
    F-in' *meow* baby!!!
    Posts
    8,427
    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    Why do atheist's make it a point to be atheist?
    Human beings are genetically prone to the behaviors that lead to theism, so I think that atheists are just more more noticeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    If atheist's are they way one should view/or know the world shouldn't they be considered just human organisms?
    *should* view the world? Yes, atheists and theists are biological organisms. Primates specifically.

    Quote Originally Posted by laladopi View Post
    Now, the same thing could be said about theists or agnostics but they believe that each individual has a value of everlasting worth if you will so they believe they are not just humans living from birth to the enviable death.
    As long as they keep those beliefs to themselves it doesn't matter to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. By Medicine*Woman in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 09-11-08, 06:54 PM
    Replies: 137
  2. By visceral_instinct in forum Ethics, Morality, & Justice
    Last Post: 06-15-08, 09:39 PM
    Replies: 534
  3. By quantum_wave in forum Physics & Math
    Last Post: 06-04-08, 07:12 AM
    Replies: 3
  4. By S.A.M. in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 07-18-07, 10:09 AM
    Replies: 413

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •