How China Beat India in Race for Success

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ghost_007, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

A really interesting article (1997).

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/aug/10/news/mn-21296

Article discusses how both countries have developed in the past 50 years, discusses literacy rates, poverty, age expectency, development of infrastructure etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not that cut and dried. Kerala and Bengal both have Marxist goverments. But while Kerala has also done well like China, Bengal hasn't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

India was doing better than China for a while, despite starting in worse shape - they had serious religious conflict, for example; borderline civil war. India actually split up.

Things started to go south for India when the multinationals and the international finance moved in. China kept them out - walled them off in Hong Kong and the like.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Sure, there's no one single answer, but the biggest culprit is Indian over-protectionism. They make you set up puppet companies that partner with native firms, they restrict investment and require a certain percentage of native corporations to be owned by Indians. When you're looking to grow, this is bad for investment.

That said, however, India ain't been doing too shabby the past two decades.

~String

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

China was far more protectionist and restricted. So was Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.

So was the US, for that matter, when it was getting started.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Good Heavens, String! Surely you can't be serious with that statement?!

I forget the exact numbers, but some 60% of Indians are living well below poverty level ....even by Indian standards, which is damned poor!
    The education levels are that of nations of the Stone Age!
    I think over 50% of the population has no potable water supply.
    Available medical care is so bad that to say that it sucks giant donkey dick is giving it a passing grade!
    And over 50% don't have electricity on anything like a normal level.

India has one of the highest incidents of human rights violations of nations of the world.
    Accepted government bribery is normal happening in India. Government corruption is so corrupt that even Indians overlook it in favor of more "horrid" corruption!

India ain't doing too shabby?? String, please rethink that a little, okay?

Baron Max

10. countezero Registered Senior Member

I believe he was speaking in relative terms.

While it's true that India is generally a poor shithole, it is much less of one these days thanks to the incredible growth there. And if you pay attention to the news, you will note it was one of the nation's singled out in an intelligence estimate of rising powers for 2025. The other two were Turkey and China.

11. superstring01 Moderator

Counte is correct. I'm speaking in relative terms. The Indian economy has grown by no less than 7% a year for the last fifteen years. That's a huge amount. It has also been able to count on about fifty billion dollars in foreign investment, annually, over that period.

This investment has fueled one of the fastest growing technology sectors, "call center" sectors, textile and bio R&D sectors in the world. India is still a shithole, but it won't be within the next century and will pass the USA somewhere around the year 2050. You may laugh, but fifty years is a blink of the eye.

There was a time when the vast majority of Europe was impoverished and equally corrupt, but it still conquered the world.

~String

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  12. superstring01 Moderator

Turkey.

[snort]

Yeah. Sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's not like any of us would be foolish enough to--say--study that language or anything.

~String

13. countezero Registered Senior Member

Bu dogru. Turkce okuyorum.

14. superstring01 Moderator

Ooh. I'm so impressed. Now, let me know when more than 60 million people speak it in more than one [second world, I'll have you] country and I'll hang a gold medal on your chest.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~String

15. countezero Registered Senior Member

The "Turkic" world extends beyond Turkey.

16. superstring01 Moderator

You're right. I forgot about the blitzkrieging armies of Azerbaijan and the bloodthirsty Uzbeks.

~String

17. countezero Registered Senior Member

Turkmenistan is an up and comer, too. . .

18. superstring01 Moderator

You just named them because you like to say, "Turk."

~String

19. countezero Registered Senior Member

No, they speak Turkmen, which is pretty close to Turkish. I'm told Turks and Turkmen can understand each other.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

21. Rick Valued Senior Member

*ahem* Excuse my ignorance, but China is a communist and oppressive regime isnt it?

I have heard stories from lots of my Chinese friends, people disappear for dissenting against govt. I don't know if its true or not. But democracy always has a slow but sure path. I know all yada yada about extremism etc. Those things have happened in all countries which are now developed, I only need to see:

1.) Strong and precise Laws
    2.) Revised constitution in India
    3.) Infrastructure investments.

China beats India? I don't care honestly, I care about whether India makes it through. I wanna see the same kind of things that i see in US. I wanna see the same kind of laws and the order, the security etc.

Rick

22. kmguru Staff Member

Only if Indians rather than providing Business Processes to American companies - start doing the same things for Indian Comapnies. My understanding is that while the knowledge is found next door, the Indian companies are in dark ages.

Productivity of a society is all about Process and Business Automation as well as Continuous Improvement in personal and professional life. Indians lie when they say they have a certificate in CMMI Level 5!

23. Rick Valued Senior Member

Its a mixed bag; There are companies that are waay bigger than India can take in. They are actually bigger by US standards ...

1.) Tata
    2.) Reliance Corp
    3.) INFOSYS

to name a few.

Rick