Students to be taught there isn't a God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by w1z4rd, Dec 15, 2008.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=696722

A brilliant idea, and one I hope that catches on world wide. This is a very positive step in the right direction. Im not into the whole is there or isnt there a God, but I do believe that all sides of the story needs to be told.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

enforcing atheism is as wrong as enforcing theism

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Luckily none of that is happening here. So your statement is OT here. Theres no "force" in the article anywhere.

Since theism currently is in the classroom... I have no problem at all that a more rational point of view gets taught as well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you believe in evolution, you should know that what dooms does not take root. Or survive. Like atheist societies.

What I would like to see is the students being given an opportunity to study all the religions and make up their own minds as to what they believe.

9. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Yes, there is such a course, it's called studies of religion.

And btw, who decided it would be a good idea to try this on primary school kids first? Wouldn't it be better to try it on high school students, at least at first?

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I disagree with the idea of educating children this way. A much better substitute would be critical thinking and human psychology with focus on natural hallucinatory experience as well as needs / motivations.

This way children can get a better grasp of what we are, why we behave the way we do, and how to separate the objective from the subjective.

11. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Probably a good idea but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to implement it.

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Before any such opportunity is given, I think children should be educated in a manner that helps them discover their identities and understand their psychological needs.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How does anyone discover an identity without any stimulus for it? The development of any ideology or affiliation is a result of influences not an impetus for them.

14. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Identity doesn't require ideology, it's merely one of many ways in which one can define oneself.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm so what is your identity?

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Seperating the church from state should include seperating atheism from state.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

"Humanists believe people are responsible for their own destiny and reject the notion of a supernatural force or God."

Best to read the article, Sam, so you know what's going on and don't have to embarrass yourself.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

You embarrass yourself with such statements. Such demonstrates what a weak grasp you have of the whole situation.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It seems that the title of this thread is incorrect. Student's aren't being taught there is no God. They are being taught that Humanists believe there is no God. I have no problem at all with comparative religious education, which would include teaching what Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and many others believe.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Lets hope the children of the "humanists" get other options to learn religion from school as well.

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Have the educator provide stimulus and ways of seeking it out beyond the classroom.

Ideology is not synonymous with identity.

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I think it's thinking in the right direction BUT this should be a set of courses that starts with easy to understand course in how to think logically and ends in the archeological evidence showing the natural evolution of religious belief for each of the beliefs. Finally, in the last years the Ss should get a chance to choose to take a more in depth look at the lack of evidence for Goddesses, Gods, Xenu and the like.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't want to be a computer. I want to be a person. I like having the imagination that sets me apart from every other creature on earth. I like all the illogical things that make life worth living.