have you ever eaten Moreton Bay bugs?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Asguard, Dec 11, 2008.

?

have you eaten or at least seen them for sale?

1. yes

40.0%
  2. no

60.0%
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreton_Bay_bug

im wondering specifically how far across the world we export these?
    everything i have read on them suggests they are only found in australia so its an experiment to see how wide spread our seafood is sold

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

That's a good question. I've haven't seen them in North or South America, Europe nor China.

It would be interesting to see how good they taste. You would have to export these to really fancy / specialty restaurants to start out. I can't see someone choose a Moreton Bay Bug burger over the Glazed Buttered Lobster enough to make someone throw it on a menu, all the while it sits in the kitchen rotting.

How many eastern foods can you think of that are popular in the west by the way? Are there any recent examples of an introduction followed by it sweeping the nation?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

ah, so thats what a bug is. Looks delicious. Unfortunately, haven eaten one yet. Australia, here I come!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The tails look the same as most other lobsters around the world so exporting them could be done easily. The thing is not to overfish them or you won't many left to export in a few years.

8. John99 Banned Banned

It's a slipper lobster.

9. Bricoleur Registered Member

I've eaten them many times, even live close to Moreton Bay iteself, and unless they are fresh, I think they are an over rated seafood. Not overly flavorsome, and the flesh can be a bit dry and bland. I think large prawns, like tigers, are a better deal, even after freezing. I would prefer a plate of yabbies anyday, but again don't eat them at restaurants if they aren't fresh.
    I come from a farm where we used to have several dams stocked with them, and catching a hundred good sized ones was an acceptable haul. Radio back home so someone can fire up the woodfired pot, so there's no mucking about. Peeling hot yabbies over a cold beer with dad and my brother-PRICELeSS!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course nothing compares to lobster or crayfish...