A Change in Earth's Gravity?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Medicine*Woman, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: For lack of a better place to post this, I have some hypothetical questions on Earth's gravity:

What if there was a time on Earth where gravity was not as strong as it is now? Say like during the time the pyramids were being built? Those megaton chunks of rock would have been lighter, and therefore would have been easier to levitate the solid rocks into place.

What if less gravitational pull allowed there to be flying machines hovering above the ground or soaring into outer space?

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but it's a thought that has preoccupied me. Could there have been a time on Earth when there was less gravitational pull? What would humans have looked like due to changes in gravity? Would we need more hair or less hair in that kind of environment?

Could the change in the Earth's axis have anything to do with a change in gravity?

Was the movement of the Earth's axis a very slow process or was it sudden?

Thanks for your answers and explanations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The Earth is slowing down, and gaining mass, but nothing dramatic that humans could notice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Gravity on the Earth's surface hasn't significantly changed since soon after the Earth's formation 4.5 billion years ago. If it had changed to the extent you suggest then massive mountain ranges would have been observed to have collapsed within historical memory, for example.

Hair depends primarily on temperature, not gravity.

But, we would probably would have expected human beings to be taller if there was less gravity, with less solid muscular builds. And if that was true, then ancient art should reflect that. But all the evidence points to humans being taller now, on average, than they have ever been in the past, mostly due to better health.

No. The Earth's axis does move. It wobbles about a bit, and every 26000 years it traces out a circle on the sky, so that, for example, the star Polaris will not be at the North Celestial Pole in a few thousands years.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Interesting! The zodiac makes a complete cycle in about the same amount of time--from A to Z, the Alpha to the Omega and repeats itself all over again.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's the same effect, Medicine*Woman. It's called precession of the equinoxes.

It is what people are talking about when they speak of the "age of Aquarius", for example. It is also the reason why a lot of astrology is 2000 years out of date, because it originated when we were in the "age of Pisces".

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Just a note: Building the Great Wall of China was equivalent to building 25 Great Pyramids.

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: No doubt. There are also pyramids that were built in Asia (don't remember the specific areas), just as there are in Mexico and other places. I don't know if all these worldly pyramids are aligned specifically, but they're out there. I'll guess that they are aligned with some constellation or another, but I haven't gotten that far.

11. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Maybe people could actually levitate shit, Magic shit would be going down,

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Maybe it wasn't magick shit then. Maybe it was scientific, but we forgot how to do it.

Why was it so important for the Egyptians to build the pyramids of Giza in alignment with Orien's belt?

13. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

There are some folks that claim the orion-giza connection, but i did not know that the scientific community at large recognized a significant importance to this.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

There is no change. That totally defies physics of all kinds. Anyways with enough whips and people you can do pretty much anything.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W:I did not mean to imply that the scientific community at larged recognized this connection. In fact, I have never brought this up to the scientific community. I'm just not knowledgeable enough.

16. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Because there is no historical record explaining the alignment, all there is the observation of the alignment. There seem to be many theories.

The basic explanation is that it (the alignment) is based on Egyptians worship of various God's and the importance of celestial bodies in their belief system.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You've been reading Hancock?

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: No, actually. Should I? Good question, though.

19. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

There is no such thing as gravity.

"I have long held an opinion, almost amounting to conviction, in common I believe with many other lovers of natural knowledge, that the various forms under which the forces of matter are made manifest have one common origin; or, in other words, are so directly related and mutually dependent, that they are convertible, as it were, one into another, and possess equivalents of power in their action. In modern times the proofs of their convertibility have been accumulated to a very considerable extent, and a commencement made of the determination of their equivalent forces." -- Michael Faraday, physicist, 1845

"The long and constant persuasion that all the forces of nature are mutually dependent, having one common origin, or rather being different manifestations of one fundamental power, has often made me think on the possibility of establishing, by experiment, a connection between gravity and electricity …no terms could exaggerate the value of the relation they would establish.'' -- Michael Faraday, physicist, 1865

"What we call mass would seem to be nothing but an appearance, and all inertia to be of electromagnetic origin." -- Henri Poincaré, physicist, 1908

"An atom differs from the solar system by the fact that it is not gravitation that makes the electrons go round the nucleus, but electricity." -- Bertrand Russell, physicist/philosopher, 1924

"Gravitation is an electromagnetic phenomenon." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1946

"The ingredients of the air—oxygen, nitrogen, argon and other gases—though not in a compound but in a mixture, are found in equal proportions at various levels of the atmosphere despite great differences in specific weights...Why, then, do not the atmospheric gases separate and stay apart in accordance with the specific gravities?" -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1946

"Ozone, though heavier than oxygen, is absent in the lower layers of the atmosphere, is present in the upper layers...Nowhere is it asked why ozone does not descend of its own weight or at least why it is not mixed by the wind with other gases." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1946

"Water, though eight hundred times heavier than air, is held in droplets, by the millions of tons, miles above the ground. Clouds and mist are composed of droplets which defy gravitation." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1946

Velikovsky, I., Cosmos Without Gravitation, 1946

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

True. The Earth sucks.

This makes OIM the largest gravitational attraction on sciforums.

21. munchkin Registered Member

I was thinking about the very same hypothetical question regarding the earth's gravity today! and I looked it up on the internet and someone else has wondered the same thing. None the answers posted really explore the hypothesis. Is there a scientist out there who has read or researched this topic and who can shed some light on the subject?

22. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

munchkin, Earth gains mass over time due to micrometeorites impacts (1 mil kg/year), Earth looses spin as well and turns slower over time due to transfer of its momentum to the moon, Earth oblateness changes as more mass moves towards the equatorial, the changing spin of Earth itself is also causing a decrease in frame dragging effect and the associated gravity

link (mass change +): http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/faq/tags/asteroid
    link (spin change -): http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae695.cfm
    link (oblateness change): http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2011GL047879.shtml
    link (frame dragging change): http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/04may_epic/

Additionally you got other events that cause the Earth gravitational field to change constantly:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

these other gravity effects are: varying crust of Earth thickness, irregular density of mantle of Earth, the Core temperature variations, Earth magnetic field interaction with gravitational field, tidal changes due to moon recession from Earth by 3 cm/year, tide effects from moon, ice sheet melting distribution.

, all thanks to Higgs Boson.

23. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

There are only two ways Earth's gravity could change:

1: If the density changes. This would mean that the size changed, but not the mass. It would also mean that the composition of elements should change, which is impossible.

2: If the mass changes. As noted, the mass is increasing ever so slightly over time due to accretion of cosmic material, however, within a historic time-span the change is negligible, and there are no other ways it could change.

So, no.

Hans