Posession and being haunted

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Tnerb, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

Haunted by ghosts and posession. Is this a real occurance?

Please debate...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

That is to say, haunted personally haunted, perhaps not any houses, but an individual who is "posessed" or "haunted".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I do not believe it is a real occurance. I have never in my life experienced anything paranormal. I have seen some weird shit that I can understand how someone might say "that person is possessed" if they had a poor understanding of human psychology and the mind. But I think that as we have grown in our understanding, we can now attribute behaviors that were once considered possession, to some underlying issue, such as epilepsy, or schizophrenia.
    As far as hauntings go, I don't have much to say. I used to explore a lot of abandoned houses in my area that were said to be haunted, and I never experienced anything. But then, I didn't spend a night there or spend anythign more than an hour or so there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

well the paranormal stuff, are the UFO sightning considered paranormal?

8. Tnerb Banned Banned

Universal God soul, rebirth, and such things as these, hint that hauntings (posessions) can occur, even at a deep psychologicial level, beyond what is presently known as science.

Denying any experience in the first place, is anti-scientific.
    Unless we're considering science to be stupid or something. Pretend someone has an experience and they say (pretend it's you!) they are posessed by something not themselves. Psychology would say they have multiple personalities or something- but is this true?

9. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I have experienced phenomena I cannot explain, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a scientific answer. I like to keep an open mind and as science cannot explain EVERYTHING then I do believe that paranormal events can occur. I just don't know what they are. I don't like to declare anything, but I have had some very weird shit happen to me throughout my life that makes me wonder whether things such as ghosts or aliens could possibly exist. Still...like I said, I don't like to choose one side or the other.

10. draqon Banned Banned

I know you dont want to choose either side...but in your mind you chose the side, you cannot not choose a side. You either believe in paranormal or you do not, the depth of your belief that is whats different.

11. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I suppose you are right. Fine, even though I hate to admit it, especially on SF, yes I believe in the paranormal. BUT I am not a concrete believer, if that makes sense. I am very skeptical. I only go by my own personal experiences and no one elses and if someone can offer me an explanation that isn't paranormal and makes more sense then I will go with that. I don't close either door. I like to entertain both sides. In my mind, many things are possible.

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Right. You'd believe in paranormal when someone was talking to you and a sudden you feel a posession; with the depth of knowledge and self knowledge that you have already. As if they're telling you that although maybe psychology has sometahing to do with it it is more a thing which cannot be understood in your mind.

Something which no one can convince you otherwise about.

13. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

On the subject of possession...I do believe that people can be possessed by things they cannot control, but I don't necessarily believe that they are paranormal. I would lean more to the psychological aspect. Sometimes people can be overcome with emotion or trauma so powerful that it may seem demonic, in a sense, but psychological issues run very deep. Split personality disorders, schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress, bi-polar episodes...these make more sense to me.

I have a friend who suffers from psychological issues that remain undiagnosed and at times it is as if there IS a demon inside her, but I believe that science should be able to explain these issues and in time, with proper help, they could go away.

Another thing that I find interesting is what some people call 'psychic vampires'. People who supposedly can drain people dry of energy and will-power. I have seen this in action, but I don't think it is paranormal. My friend who suffers these psychological episodes is like a 'psychic vampire'. Just being in her presence is like being sapped of all my strength. I walk away feeling exhausted and drained. It doesn't matter if she is behaving 'normally' or uncontrollably irratic...it is as if she is sucking my 'soul' dry. I can only handle her in small doses and even then she makes ME behave in ways that are not normal for me. I can see, how in the past, before science was taken seriously, people would attribute such experiences to demonic activity.

Even addiction, such as alcoholism or drugs, could have been seen as demonic activity because it changes people so drastically and for the worse. It is frightening, so people jump to irrational conclusions because they feel so out of control when it comes to the situation. These, of course, are just my thoughts on the matter.

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

That's the point of this thread.

To discuss the issues which are paranormal and not scientific.
    Have you eaver heard of memories of the recently deceased or something colliding with another persons birth or being?
    Is it possible?
    Sure, science and psychology makes a lot more sense!
    But, once again is it possible?

In my opinion it is very possible, and I am not speaking with any "i know it is" experience... (sheesh! or am I).
    The best way to find out if this is so is to get an unexplainable experience, like the one I just mentioned above (memories).
    Who can deny them? Surely they aren't believable, but.......

15. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Yes I have heard of it. And if I eliminate the ideas of what I think could be scientific explanation...then YES, I believe I have experienced what you would call "memories of the recently deceased or something colliding with another persons birth or being". I don't really want to go into detail here, but if you would like to PM me, I would be happy to discuss my thoughts and experiences. I just find them to be very personal and not something I like to share with the public forum at large. Not only because of nasty comments and ridicule, but simply because, like I said, they are very personal and as I have no way of proving they are paranormal or providing a scientific explanation for them, I have no desire to argue with others over them. It becomes a pointless and circular argument.

Like I said before, I don't like to declare either side as right or wrong (scientific or paranormal) and I understand the point of your thread, but I just think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who is willing to admit they have experienced something they believe to be paranormal, even in this section of SF. It is hard to make someone understand an experience that you can't really explain. Like I said, PM me. I am happy to talk one on one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To hardcore skeptics and 'self-proclaimed' scientists, this might sound like a cop-out, but I stand by my decision. Like I also said, I am a skeptic myself and I only go off of my own experiences. I try to look at both sides of the situation equally and consider all possibilites, but I also don't feel the need to endure taunts if I consider something to be paranormal.