Tat Tvam Asi/reflections/projections

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Simon Anders, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

There is this idea in a number of religions, but also in psychology and some philosophies
    that when we encounter another person we are (actually or often) encountering ourselves.
    You have likely heard that platitude that what we hate in others is actually something we dislike in ourselves (projection).

Do you believe this?
    Do you work with it somehow, and if so, how?

You ever notice how some people really bug you all out of proportion to what they are doing? (IOW it is not as if they are pedophiles, perhaps just the way their voice grates on you or their facial expression makes you want to strangle them)

What does this kind of experience mean to you?
    Is there anything you can learn from it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

This does not belong in parapsychology.

Tat tvam asi is a sanskrit sentence from the Upanishads. IOW Hinduism, so conceivably in Eastern religion. But the concept is not limited to Eastern religion.

I could also see it placed in psychology.

It has nothing to do with the subheadings in Parapsychology or parapsychology in general.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Maybe you're arguing with yourself, I can't figure it out.

The answer is; if you're conscious of your surroundings and behavior. If you behave in a precise thoughtful manner and are aware of your own faults. Then no, you're not projecting yourself.

If your own behavior is often misunderstood by yourself and you're left questioning your own actions in the question of "Why did I do that?"...then yes, you're probably projecting yourself.

If you can't know yourself you can't know anyone else.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Actually I think some of the people who project the most, introspect the least. IOW they never notice a problem: those guys over there are bad, period.

8. CheskiChips Banned Banned

There's definitely some degree of awareness inversion.