A name for everthing, a contest!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by joepistole, Nov 23, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It seems the word universe has shrunken considerably over the course of the last several decades. It used to mean everything, include everything. We now think that there is much more than a single universe and structures larger than universes.

After confirming this morning with our resident physicist that there he knows of no such word, I think we have an opportunity at Sciforums to define a word which includes everthing inside and outside the known universe.

So go forth Sciforumers and put forth your ideas and suggestion for a name that describes all things in and outside our universe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

It can only be Interuniversal and Intrauniversal. As far as i know it may be used already.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

The cosmic hot dog?

It can contain literally everything

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I vote for:

Universe

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Multiverse or qusiverse

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am kind of thinking Interuniversal and Intrauniversal is a bit long. And we are talking about more than just universes. So I am thinking mabe something as simple as the Q borrowing from Star Trek.

10. tostig Registered Senior Member

It's still "universe" except that our concept of universe must change to encompass what we previously had thought was THE "universe". Some cosmologists consider our current concept of the universe to be only one of many multiverses - a term I don't like.

11. draqon Banned Banned

I vote for: existence

to include all multiverses and beyond...

12. Harro Registered Senior Member

I often use the word Cosmos.

What’s wrong with saying multiverse or multi-universe? I find it adequate when talking about multiple universes within the same cosmology theory. It rolls of the tongue like multigasmic, instead of using the drawn out unsaxy phrase, a multiple tendency to be orgasmic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Universe still means everything. I'm going with universe.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Another vote for Universe, and a fresh motion to kick everyone in the nutsack who tries to diminish it's meaning.

15. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Weapon used to mean a rock or a stick, then it also used to mean a sword or a spear. Nowadays there is a multitude of things that can correctly be called weapons, so with respect to that the universe will always be the universe, which simply means...EVERYTHING.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Infiniverse or veriverse.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Q was a creature. The "place" of his origin was called "The Q Continuum."
    The first time I encountered the word "multiverse" in science fiction, it concerned probability and time travel. If you could alter the outcome of a random event in the past, you could change the course of history and the universe would be different. (The Butterfly Effect, although in sci fi they played pretty loosely with it.)

But there was still only one universe in existence at any moment. They found a way to record their changes and the effects they brought about, and were even able to pop in and out of various states of the universe while retaining their memories of the original state from which they started. (Fast and loose, as I said.) Nonetheless, there was only one universe in existence at any moment.

The "multiverse" was the entire set of possible universes. All but one of them were abstractions that did not exist.

18. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Why not cosmos?

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I like cosmos. That seems more descriptive.

20. draqon Banned Banned

cosmos in some languages means smaller than universe. In Russian language that is.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I like cosmos too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Universe still means everything as far I'm concerned.

23. draqon Banned Banned

but chaos is also universe...