Atheist Richard Dawkins warns Harry Potter could have 'negative effect on children'

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is this another way that Dawkins is trying to evangelise atheism, by moving to a target group that he has himself claimed is more vulnerable? What do you think of this attack on fairy tales as an attempt to undermine religion?

Note: evangelism here refers to its secondary meaning, ie militant zeal for a cause, and not the primary meaning , ie zealous preaching and dissemination of the gospel, as through missionary work, although in my personal opinion, Dawkins qualifies for both

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think a lot of theists actually agree with him. Haven't you heard ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I see no "evangelism" ocurring since Dawkins is not religious and not seeking to increase a religious membership, which what evangelism is.

Moreover, the quote you provided states that he's writing a book for children that looks at "the effects of bringing children up to believe in spells and wizards."

Not a single Harry Potter fan I've ever known (and I've two families full of them) actually believes in spells and wizards.

Clearly this is trolling for an atheist/theist flame war. Thread closed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.