I wan't to learn something about quantum physics

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Betrayer0fHope, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I'm too young(freshman)for my schools to offer it. I'll be taking Acc. Physics next year, but we won't get into quantum anything until my senior year, in AP physics.
    So Where do I start to learn something about quantum physics? What concepts should I attempt to grasp first?

I've learned enough to explain to someone WHAT special relativity and general relativity is, but am nowhere near close at all in any way explaining why either of those occur, though I'm not terribly sure if anyone could.

Maybe someone could quickly outline a the course of things they were taught in school for me to follow?:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Introductory quantum physics is usually taught in a semi-historical way, starting with experiments such as the Compton effect and the Photoelectric effect, with perhaps a mention of Planck's theory of blackbody radiation (although a full understanding of Planck requires advanced understanding of thermodynamics). Then, we move on to be Broglie matter waves and Bohr's model of the hydrogen atom and his explanation of emission spectra of atoms. Finally, there's an introduction to modern quantum mechanics, with the Schrodinger wave equation.

If you're serious, the best thing to do would probably be to get hold of a commonly-used first-year university textbook, such as Halliday, Resnick and Walker, Physics (8th edition is the most recent, I think), or Randall Knight, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, or College Physics by the same author for a slightly less complicated treatment without so much calculus.

There's no reason why a bright final-year school student couldn't follow the descriptions of quantum physics in these texts, and also learn quite a lot more about classical mechanics, optics, special relativity, nuclear physics etc. - all in one package.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Thanks, James.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.