Windows 7 is almost here

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Whether you love Vista or hate it, the current Windows will soon go to that great digital graveyard in the sky. After the tepid reception Vista received, Microsoft is putting a rush on Vista's follow-up, known currently as Windows 7.

What is it? At this point Windows 7 seems to be the OS that Microsoft wanted to release as Vista, but lacked the time or resources to complete. Besides continuing refinements to the security system of the OS and to its look and feel, Windows 7 may finally bring to fruition the long-rumored database-like WinFS file system. Performance and compatibility improvements over Vista are also expected.

But the main thrust of Windows 7 is likely to be enhanced online integration and more cloud computing features -- look for Microsoft to tie its growing Windows Live services into the OS more strongly than ever. Before his retirement as Microsoft's chairman, Bill Gates suggested that a so-called pervasive desktop would be a focus of Windows 7, giving users a way to take all their data, desktop settings, bookmarks and the like from one computer to another -- presumably as long as all those computers were running Windows 7.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152638/windows_7_release_date_october_2009.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Having rushed Vista so that at its release it was frankly useless. They are now rushing Windows 7 as a replacement.
    Vista is actually now a good operating system(relatively speaking).
    Windows 7 is another 4-8 months away, not to mention it'll be a further year before it actually functions as promised(if ever).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I'm downloading the leaked beta version now.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I don't get why people are so excited about a OS or browser. It is a freaking tool and it should be the mean achieving your goal not the goal itself. We don't need a new OS in every 2 years, maybe 5...

Also quite seriously I don't see just what kind of new things W7 can have. The people switching from XP to W7 can be just fine...

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I may well be one of those who will upgrade. I've been running Win2K Pro since, well, 2000. MS will stop supporting it at some point even though it's been THE most rock-stable OS I ever had from them.

But at least I will have saved a chunk of change not falling for the upgrade-itis nonsense and will happily leap directly over Millennium, XP and Vista in one fell swoop.

But I sure will NOT be getting it until it's been out for quite a while. Probably not until Service Pack 1 is released and more than likely, Service Pack 2. Let all the eager-beavers take all the hits while the bugs are getting worked out and new drivers are made ready.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well...

Fuck.

Guess I better get a new hobby with linux and dual boot with MacOS. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with M$ professionally and privately.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I was STUCK having to get Vista for work because all the pc's I could buy voided the warrenty if I unstillaed Vista and reinstalled XP

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

At first I thought, well, seem the same. But with time I have noticed little things that don't work. To make matters worse Vista 64 bit also have more problems. The only thing I have really noticed is file transfer is extremely fast - perhaps 10x faster. But that's it, certainly not enough to justify all the things that suck.

how can it be possible that XP can run a program that Vista can not? That's what I hate - i mean come on! if it ran then, it should run now!

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

I have had windows vista ultimate edition 64 bit for i guess 1.5 yrs now. System has been stable, runs fast without any issues. I am a java developer who works on deploying webapps on a server locally ... so yea i know how intensive it can get. I dont however work with CAD and other 3D apps. I am not much a gamer either; occasionally I'd play Quake 3 Arena May be.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.