Bridge To Terabithia - Depressing

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by darksidZz, Nov 15, 2008.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I just got this movie out of a 1 dollar rental machine at a Ralphs store. I figured why not give it a try..... what a mistake...

This movie has to be the most depressing, sick, sad film I've ever seen. It is so horribly shocking and upsetting near the end I would almost have broken out into panic if I didn't have a cat nearby.

It begins simply enough with a young loser (much like me) meeting a cute sexy, soon to be ripened female. Together they form a friendship and begin hanging out together in a weird area of the forest where they let imaginiation run wild. In all fairness they could've turned this into a sort of sexual awakening kind of film and maybe that would've been better because what happens later will kill you, literally.

What I find funny is the girl who's supposed to be weird and a loaner is exactly the kind men chase after, hot, young, nuts. The boy too has talent in drawing which we all know women love! So how they ended up being losers is beyond me, did any of their fellow classmates have any talent at all? NOO I mean give me a break Disney.

So for the 1st half we keep hoping he'll kiss her or get her pregnant and this movie would turn into a freakin monument to fun, but instead what happens? A few minor flashes of things like monsters, nothing truly spectacular. They confront bullies who for all intents and purposes try very, very hard to actually be around to bother them?! I mean the chances of them always being there every day and really caring enough to harass them? NOOO don't buy it. I was bullied a shit load in school but it was only random, they never actually came around to find me! Usually if you'd ignore them they'd just ignore you, unless you came nearer.

I love the part they begin chanting "free the pee" which is ridiculious since any actual teacher would've seen the bathroom was being monitored by the student bully, I mean please.

Also there's a rather bizarre thing in this where the teacher asks him on a date to the art gallery, they go together leaving behind the hotter younger chick, unfortunately this means her death! They kill her, kill her bad, she swings accross the rope thing and dies, plooop right to the bottom of the ravine.

I have to tell ya, that damn rope wasn't exactly hundreds of meters off the ground, hell there was a damn river bed below it! How the heck can you tell me she fell, hit her head on the rock in the river and died? The most that would've happened was she broke an arm or something cushioning the fall!

This leads me to the stories huge mistake, turning a story into a bleak, dark suicide inspiring tale. Oh and did I mention his parents are such pricks you wish they would divorce already and he'd go off to live as a bum in a homeless city. I mean jesus, he yells about his kid loosing his keys but any human would have an extra set made, is that like what 12 dollars worth of key copies?! I mean freakin god.....

So yes, his father is a mean person, and his mother dumb. But worser still.... they have him get over that girls death without even so much as seeming all that upset. I mean he has a crying spell but that's about it. I cannot say for certain but I don't think the rope would just randomly give way without her having fallen nearer the start of the swing, I mean please.

So if you wanna get this film think again, jumping off a bridge to terabithia would be preferrable to this things twists!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I forgot to mention, I was rooting for the female teacher to bang him, because I've heard so much of this on the news etc. I was so SURE they wanted to put that into the movie, I mean damn it was so obvious as she looked like they'd make a good couple!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

have you ever read the book?
    its even more sad, in the book her father is sexually abusing her and thats why she fanasises to get away from it

I have to say the movie ripped me up to

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

So that's why she was so hot in the film! I mean I wouldn't bang her or nothin since she was obviously not ready, to young, but she would sure be a looker in 4 years yikes.

Wow, can't believe that happened in the book, jesus. I mean damn, the movie didn't hint at that, they seemed ok, ugh...

I feel even more depressed now.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

God all my problems are gone, there is only the depressiveness of this film left.

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, lord.

Please, please God, let that word have been meant to be "loser".

:wallbang:

Also disturbing.

So would reading this review.

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

lmao, thanks pal!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What did you do to your cat ? :bugeye:

13. superstring01 Moderator

I hated this movie. I sat and endured it with my parents who just loved it (my step mother sobbed through the whole thing).

~String

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

string you ever read the book?
    if so was your opinion the same or different?

To be honest i would have never watched this myself but i was stuck on a bus from adelaide to melbourne and had no choice in the matter

15. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I thought it would be adventure movie, turned out to be just what I tell above :| I consider this trick by Disney :L

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what?! What book did you read?

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The movie was nothing I thought it would be. I was expecting serious fantasy adventure. They go into the woods, and find themselves in an actual fantasy land where the movie will actually take place. But no. It was just a movie about some dumb kids going into the woods to play with eachother. What really happened in those woods?

I downloaded this movie right when it came out with expectations of something better than Narnia. What do I get in return? Crap. I still have it. The move wasn't that bad, but it just wasn't a real fantasy adventure like Narnia, LOTR, Golden Compass, etc.

Then there was the whole thing about the girl being an atheist. That was pretty funny.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think a lot of people were expecting Spiderwick Chronicles. I know i was expecting something along those lines. stupid lying commercials.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what do you mean orleander?
    I havent yet made myself read the book but PB studied it for school and that is exactly what she said. If its wrong meh whatever

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

We were forced to read this book in about year 7 and I remember struggling to finish it. I didn’t like reading back then though.

Yes the movie did promote with a lot of the fantasy sequences which actually make up a very small part of the movie. It’s not Narnia.

However the movie isn’t as bad as darksidzz somewhat disturbing interpretation makes it to be. It does take an emotional turn when the girl dies. It is made worse in the manner in which she dies as it may not have happened if he wasn’t sneaking off with the teacher he had a crush on, deciding not to invite the young girl because he wanted to be alone with her. This will either make you sad or angry at the makers of the movie.

The scene with the father and the keys was not so strange. I used to see my dad like that first thing in the morning when he was late for work and couldn’t find something.

The ending was not so bleak as the friendship with his younger sister, who follows him around the whole movie, becomes stronger when she helps to fill the gap created by the loss of the girl next door.

So its not my kind of movie and I certainly wouldn’t watch it again but I didn’t think it was that bad - for younger audiences. Just don’t expect a fantasy movie and be prepared for depressing story.

21. draqon Banned Banned

in fact, it is the depressing movies which show the true colors of life, and give it meaning. Don't expect to find meaning and joy to life from the regular Hollywood SEX-BlOOD-DRUGS scenes...

22. Roman Banned Banned

Did YOU read the book?

I read it. It was boring. I just remember how he found out his only friend had drowned in a ravine the day before, so his mom made him pancakes for breakfast. He wasn't hungry, and so wasn't eating much, and his dad was giving him shit for it. Or something like that.

I read it in 4th or 5th grade, and only because we would take tests on what we read, and the computer would tell us what our reading level was. I wanted to keep my reading level as high as possible, so I ended up reading a bunch of boring novels. I read another one about this kid who had signed up with the Israelite zealots of 0 century Jerusalem in opposing Roman occupation. Also boring. Can't remember what it was called. The kid got stabbed with a spear.

Another book I read was about this girl that "killed" her brother, but really she was just playing a practical joke when he died outside and she didn't notice. Also boring.

The wheel of time series had the potential to be interesting. I had specifically asked a teacher for books with a high reading level (like 10th to 12th grade), and she recommended those. When I found out they were like 7th or 8th grade, I put them down in disgust.

That was such a stupid program.

23. Roman Banned Banned

You ever think, for all those people out there living life, a little SEX-BLOOD-DRUGS helps break the monotony?