New planets imaged at Fomalhaut, HR 8799 make history

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Tiassa, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: Bad Astronomy
    Link: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/11/13/huge-exoplanet-news-items-pictures/
    Title: "Huge Exoplanet News Items: Pictures!", by Phil Plait
    Date: November 13, 2008

Some scientists are really, really excited. Phil Plait, the author, for instance. And quite obviously:

And here's the even better part: The images come from the Hubble Telescope and the Gemini North 8m telescope. The Hubble image, of a planet currently described as Fomalhaut b, is estimated at 200 million years old, and is a mere—by astronomical standards—25 light years out. It orbits the star Fomalhaut, visible to the naked eye in Piscis Astrinus, at a distance of approximately 18 billion km; its orbital period is determined to be 872 years. Meanwhile, 130 light years away, two planets have been imaged orbiting HR 8799 at distances of 6b and 10.5b km. Plait reports that a third planet is confirmed, but not yet imaged, orbiting some 3.8b km from the star.

Plait explains:

For planetary astronomers, this is huge news. And, indeed, those planetary astronomers who have senses of dream and romance—these are not as rare as some might think—are already looking forward to the next big milestone:

What? I think it's pretty damn cool, too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

How long before we see the Holy Grail, the first image of a terrestrial planet, orbiting a star like the Sun at just the right distance for liquid water to bathe its surface? It may not be for a decade or two, but mark my words: that day will arrive. And when it does, well, we’ll just have to rewrite the history books again, won’t we?​

Wow. Imagine if our space program had something it never really had before. Someplace to go!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Will we be able to read the billboards & traffic signs on that planet?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

It is hoped that future space telescopes will not only see planets outside our solar system but see their atmospheric gases which could show life and even industry on them.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What is it you won? I see nothing you bet on in that link you provided. Here's what other inhabitants are doing now watching us!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

F1rst P0st!!1!

11. Balerion Banned Banned

Wow, seriously? How far into the future are we talking? My lifetime?

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Possibly

It all depends on funding.

Just imagine if we spent $700 billion on science instead of bailing out our economy.

As a culture, the world is not interested in science, except in the periphery.

13. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I've been wondering about those statistics. I know we could develop a "perfect" electric car if we spent maybe a day's worth of funding from the Iraq war. So how much funding does this field of science receive yearly?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then only a handful of people would get to enjoy all of that money to explore space while the rest of society suffers from a recession.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

Now, now...let's not confuse the US with "the world". The rest of the world (the Western World, at least) is plenty interested in science. Other nations even help their automakers with research and development of hybrid and other technologies. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't Europe currently kicking our asses with their hadron colliders?

The recession is here regardless. And no money put into science benefits only a few. Science benefits everyone. I even heard one of the CERN scientists asked why the hell they were bothering, and he responded, "Do you enjoy being able to call your grandmother and speak to her even though she's a thousand miles away? Imagine if you could press a button and be there."

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

No doubt.