What language did Adam, Eve and the Serpent Speak?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: The Book of Genesis indicates that a talking snake spoke to Eve in the GoE. It is also implied that A&E spoke to each other and that god spoke to them. I'm just wondering in what language did they speak?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Parseltongue, of course. Everyone knows that. Or at least, everyone who reads Harry Potter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I guess I can understand a certain curiosity, but I can't understand what difference it makes to anyone or anything?

And if someone told you, would you believe them? As far as I can tell, M*W, you don't believe any-fuckin'-thing about religions, so why should we think that you'll believe this?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually they spoke with "forked tongue".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

It was never recorded.

What language did Stone Age man speak? Or any prehistoric humans?

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

MW-Does it really matter to you what language Adam and Eve spoke? Or is this an attempt to further your interesting ideas about sun worship? Why don't you just start a sun-worship thread and save time? Or resurrect an old one?

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: It's a question that I've had, and no one as yet has been able to answer it. If someone can answer this, I would appreciate it. Whether I would believe it or not doesn't really matter. I just want to know, because I don't know the answer. I'm not looking to debate this. I'll accept whatever answers I get. If they really know the answer to this question, there shouldn't be any discrepancies I would think.

Further, the OT may have been originally written in Hebrew, we all know that, but the Hebrew language did not develop until somewhere after 1200 BCE. The story of the GoE was to have occurred sometime around 3400 BCE, about 2200 years prior prior to Hebrew language.

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Hi ho, Kemo Sabe.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Navajo?

13. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Before Noah there wasn't speech in the strictest sense. It wasn't like telepathy though...it was as if all was already known and mutually understood. In Hebrew the same word for "Spoke to" is "Made understood to".

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Sumerian.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Support for my assertion that they spoke Sumerian comes from an old thread here:

The Torah is the section of the Tanakh that is supposed to be a history of the Jews.
    The creation story from the Torah closely parallels and is likely based on the Sumerian Creation story.
    The Sumerian civilization was one of the first in the world (as far as we know) - certainly one of the first in the Middle East.
    As far as anyone can tell, the first "man" came out of Ethiopia, migrated through Djibouti crossed the Mandab Strait into Yemen.

Early man, like all primates, likely thrived along Riparian habitats.
    Until he developed the necessary agrarian skills required to sustain large numbers of people in an environment, he would have been nomadic.
    Shell middens 125,000 years old have been found in Eritrea indicating the diet of early humans was sea food obtained by beachcombing as he followed the shore of the Red Sea south to Djibouti, where he could see land (Yemen) across the Mandab Strait.
    From there, following the water, they ended up settling in Sumer (modern day Iraq between the Tigris and Euphrates - two of the rivers in Genesis).

NIV Genesis 2:10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush. 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Asshur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

Sumer had people farming the lands at least as far back as 6600 BCE.
    The earliest records we have of Sumerian religion date back to about 4000 BCE.
    They were a polytheistic people.

When did man become man?
    When he could tell stories.

The earliest humans recognized their many vulnerabilities and were keenly aware of their own mortality.
    They did not have fur to protect them from the elements.
    They did not have razor sharp claws and fangs to fight off predators.
    They were not terribly fast runners.
    They could not see very well in the dark.
    They could not swim long distances.

Humans had two saving graces on which to depend for survival: intellect and community; aside from that, they were weak and knew it.
    Everywhere humans looked, there was something more powerful than they were.
    These more powerful things held sway over their lives, and as a result, over their collective psyche.
    People fear what is more powerful than them.
    They also respect what is more powerful than them.
    People began to anthropomorphise the forces of nature and animals and tell stories about them.
    They began to pray to what was more powerful than them.
    They began to develop Gods - God to fear - Gods to worship - Gods to respect - Gods to beg for food and rain - Gods to blame for drought and pestilence.

Man was at the mercy of the Gods for everything, including whether or not there would be food for him to eat.
    Man learning to plant and harvest crops, farm animals and use the river to irrigate fields gave him the ability to stop migrating to follow food and settle Sumer.

Settling Sumer gave man the ability to have control over his own destiny.
    He built houses.
    He planted crops.
    He irrigated fields.
    He raised animals.

There was still draught, disease and other problems to face, but man was becoming more powerful, and learned how to deal with these problems as a community.
    He was no longer at complete mercy of the whims of the Gods.

Adam and Eve was the Sumerian story of how man grasped the gauntlet of self-determination and took power from the Gods to control his own life.

Abraham was Sumerian.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Interesting, thank you for your answer.

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Makes sense.

19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Thanks, again. I'm going to reread this tomorrow when I'm more alert than I am tonight. This is really thought provoking!

20. Adstar Valued Senior Member

According to the Bible. After the tower of babel incident God dispersed the world population all over the globe and changed their languages so they could not repeat their attempt.

So i would say that the pre tower of babel language no longer exists and that was probably the language that was used in the garden of eden.

All praise The Ancient Of Days

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The people could not have survived at the height of a tower which would reach higher than we have reached today, and we have not been to heaven yet.
    Did God not realize it was impossible to build a tower to heaven?

That comment got me into serious touble in Sunday School.

22. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Whatever language the gods speak or understand. Whatever language God made up or always knew, or something.

23. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

that's funny. I wondered the same thing, but I never asked questions at school. I also thought Mary Magdalene was selling her organs, but never asked.