Scientists Say Womens Hands Have More Bacteria Than Mens

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by OilIsMastery, Nov 5, 2008.

1. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Link

Topic: Do you believe scientists?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Not only is this the worst strawman argument I have ever seen(and I do formal debating), everyone will believe scientists because it makes sense..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's because they are always cleaning around their homes more than men do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Topic: Do you believe butchers?

Topic: Do you believe coal miners?

Topic: Do you believe firemen?

Topic: Do you believe car manufacturing assembly line workers?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Acidity of the skin is the hypothesis I've read bandied about.

9. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Depends.
    Do I think men wash their hands as much as women do? No.
    Do I think men get dirtier? Yes.
    Do I think these are the only factors? No.

I would guess there are other factors. If I remember right they are talking about men's skin being more acidic. IOW less hospitable. I can believe that's possible.

10. John99 Banned Banned

So we need to kill the same bacteria that have been present since life on the planet began?

...and keep us alive???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Of course it doesn't mean that. Some bacteria are harmful, some are beneficial and others completely benign.

12. John99 Banned Banned

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

14. John99 Banned Banned

There are micro organisms that can make people sick and even kill them but tbh i never had a need to wash my hands with anti bacterial soap and i dont know why anyone would. That is what i am trying to figure out.

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I don't think the anti-bacterial soaps are a good idea, unless you are about to operate on someone or you know you have been exposed to something or on a cut.

In fact all the anti-bacterial products are just making stronger bacteria, some of which will hassle somebody.

16. distantcube Registered Member

Don't males tend to sweat more as well? Perhaps the extra salt kills the gram negatives?

17. draqon Banned Banned

yes and no

stereotyping is a dangerous, pre-Nazistic ideology

18. draqon Banned Banned

I propose an awesome reason why women have more bacteria than men: it is because Men ARE MANLY, MAN ENOUGH TO EVEN KILL BACTERIA DARING TO ENDULGE ON IT. yup.

19. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Dudes, did you actually read the article? It says that women have a higher diversity , not number. The metagenome approach does not enable absolute countings.

20. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Three pieces of data stick out:

One:

51 participants only?

Two:

And all of them from a similar background - similar age, similar occupation, possibly similar habits?

Undergrad students are an easy study group to get (they all participated to get course credits, right?), but they really are not representative of the whole human population.

Three:

And what is more - the point of the study actually seems to have been something else:

The hypothesis about whether women have more diverse hand bacteria than men seems to have been secondary to the study, the actual purpose seems to have been about methods of indentification of bacteria.

Three points to refute that "women have more diverse hand bacteria than men".

21. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I think it makes sense.
    We can't just shake it after we pee, we have to wipe, and unfortunately the sewer is too close to the playground... stupid design if you ask me.
    And we do pee a lot!

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Can't you wash your hands after you pee? Or am I missing something about the female?

Oh, wait, ....geez, I know less about the human female than I do about anything else on Earth, maybe even in the whole universe!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

23. Reiku Banned Banned

The clean frenzy syndrome is out of control. We need germs. There is a scientific reason why we need them.