Taking Things Literally

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cellar_Door, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Fundamentalist -------->> Someone who lives a 'normal life' except for a vague belief in God.

At what point does someone lose the right to call themselves religious?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When they fail to see that their religion or others are really what they say they are. When someone understands that religions are only a way to control people. When a person realizes that their prayers never are answered.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Where did you get that description?

When they become athiest.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Actually, fundamentalists tend to be extreme in one fashion or another. Southern Baptists Fundamentalist Christians, for example, prosletyze about the literal exactness of the Bible. Pointing things out to them about the fact they do not follow the ancient laws from numbers and deuteronomy seldom stops them. They have taken an idea, added some concrete, and called it good. Evangelism may or may not be their thing. Some Evangelists I know are Atheists, however, I don't think this makes them Fundamentalist atheists.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The moment they veer off their doctrines that demand worship and obedience to their god, of course.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

At no point do they lose that right. Anyone can call themselves religious whenever they want to.

10. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Adstar -
    Which one?

Enmos -
    And at which point will that claim become untrue? Or rather, at what point does it become correct?

Is a Christian someone who:

wears a cross around their neck.
    isn't scared of death because they believe they will go to heaven.
    claims the Bible is a far-fetched metaphor for God and has never read it all the way through.

Or do these sentences describe people who are not Christians? How much picking and choosing is allowed?

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is untrue if they really do not believe in a god. But that is impossible to establish.

12. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Then they are Theist, but a Christian?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

All we have to go on is what they say they believe in. There is no way to check, I guess.

14. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

If they believe in God, they are a Theist.
    Surely a Christian follows the teachings of Christ? If so, how can teachings be selected to suit the reader?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't understand want you mean.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I think that most religions are meant as metaphors, problems arise when people take them literally.

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again. If you believe Jesus is the son of God and believe him to be your personal savior, your a Christian. And according to the Bible the guy who kind of believes in Jesus Christ, but accepts that he is the the son of God has an equal chance of getting to heaven as a die-hard "I believe every single thing the Bible says" fundamentalist.

18. swarm Registered Senior Member

What about xtians who don't believe that?

Which particular bible is the one that counts?

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why does Christianity offer exactly the same options as a light switch?

So what? I can murder thousands, millions of innocent people, make the same statement as the one above on my deathbed, and *poof* I'm in heaven. Seems anyone can get in to heaven no matter what they did, and they can completely ignore the word of god and his command to obey him with no consequences whatsoever.

:bugeye:

20. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Q-You do your homework, right? Just out of curiosity, where is the commandment,"Thou shalt obey the Bible literally"? I know about most of the commands, but that one isn't familiar.

21. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Well if not then all the other commandments seem to lose their purpose.

"Oh, I like the bit about not murdering but I don't see what's wrong with coveting my neighbour's wife."

22. swarm Registered Senior Member

But its ok to covet your neighbour's husband, children and goats.

23. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Common sense and thoughtfulness help when regarding any kind of literature. Should Darwinists believe that Darwin was correct about all of his speculations?

I will waste my breath again, but please take note, I don't know if I will feel like explaining this too many more times. God did not write the Bible. God inspired the writers of the Bible to do so. Two men, inspired by the same flower, may write totally different descriptions of the flower. Men interpreted God's inspiration. Men are imperfect. Thus, the Bible is probably imperfect. Were the ten commandments of exodus and deuteronomy valid? As valid as Hammurabi's laws, I'd say. Were there Giants in those days? Maybe, I wasn't there. Absolute decision of factuality about a collection of writings will probably be incorrect. If you have a tub of bathwater, with a baby in it, do you throw out the entire container?