Environmental arguments and meat

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by swarm, Oct 29, 2008.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Environmental arguments can never be arguments against meat eating per se. Eating meat, i.e. preditors like us eating prey animals, is irrevokably a part of a healthy environment. Instead they are inevitably arguments against eating meat, or even organic veggies, in a manner which damages the environment.

Ultimately such arguments are arguments against over population since environmental harm is directly tied to population pressures.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

swarm mistakes what an enviromental argument is.

One environmental argument against eating meat, for example, is that eating meat produces more greenhouse gasses and thus contributes to global warming.

swarm is also wrong that eating meat is "irrevocable". It is, on the contrary, a choice made by billions of individuals every day - a choice that can be changed.

The argument that there are too many people in the world is a logically separate one from the issue of eating meat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

James, I wouldn't say billion every day. Perhaps thousands everyday, maybe even tens of thousands, but billions ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Enmos:

There are over 6 billion humans on the planet. Do you think that only tens of thousands eat meat?

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Meat eating doesn't product greenhouse gasses.

Raising significant numbers of cattle might be producing slightly more green house gasses than the ungulates they displace, however that is not significant compared to disruption of the tundra in terms of methane or combustion by products in terms of overall impact.

And whatever impact it does have could be avoided by switching to less flatulent meat sources and/or reducing demand by reducing population pressures.

Eating meat is irrevocalbly a part of the ecosystem. Any particular person can make a choice, but as a species we are a part of the food chain and the spot we occupy is top preditor and large prey animals depend on us to eat them. If we don't they over populate and savage the ecosystem, destroying their food sources and then fall prey to starvation and disease.

Abdicating our responcibility has been tried before and the results are an animal holocaust. The landscap stripped. Piles of dead animals rotting while emaciated diseased survivors desperately try to find anything at all to eat.

Nature cares not one whit about your morality.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I see.. I misunderstood that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

On the contrary, the production of livestock for consumption is a major cause of greenhouse gas emissions.

I don't know what you mean by "displace". The fact is that millions of cattle exist for meat consumption that would not otherwise exist. We breed them specifically for their meat.

Moreover, we cut down trees to create pasture for the cattle to eat. Approximately 2/3 of available farmland is devoted to raising meat instead of growing food directly for human consumption.

You'll need to explain this.

Which less flatulent meat sources? What are you suggesting?

Not at all. We could all choose to stop eating meat tomorrow, and that would be that.

I can just see the cows out there longing to be eaten, knowing their place as "prey animals" and recognising the necessity of serving your personal cravings.

Yeah, right.

Nonsense. We breed cattle solely so we can eat them. And sheep. And billions of chickens every year. We make sure we breed them at rates far in excess of what would be achievable in a natural setting.

The upshot of this is that literally billions of animals are brought into existence deliberately by human beings, for the sole purpose of killing and eating them. If we did not do that, there would not be a population explosion.

Your suggestion is ludicrous. You haven't really thought this out, have you?

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

No. The specific overpopulation of cattle, and in particular using certain feeding techniques, can produce methane. However this is not unique to cattle, all ungulates have this issue including the ones the cattle have supplanted. Are millions of cattle more or less flatulent than millions of bison? Is this a real issue because traditionally grasslands have been covered in grazing ungulates, so is there actually a net gain in methane release?

Sheep, goats and pigs however definitely are less flatulent. Switching from cows to pigs would eliminate the problem because meat eating doesn't product greenhouse gasses, cows do.

You humanocentric people amaze me. Did you really think all that nice grazing land was totally unused until we invented cattle?

As do all grazing ungulates. There are actually far more trees in the great plains than when the bison were in charge of it. Grass and grazing animals have been fighting the trees since grasses came into being. Life is way more complex than you seem to realize.

No it wouldn't. All those cows would still need predators. I suppose we could just kill them and let them rot. Is that your suggestion?

Also we are neither separate nor exempt from the ecosystem, nor is it just about us. Meat eating is an innate part of the ecosystem. Repeat it until it finally sinks in. Predation occurs from the smallest microbes to the biggest whales. Prey and predator are interdependent. Suddenly remove 6 billion top predators and you will wreck havoc.

Longing has nothing to do with it, cows being eaten by predators is how the system works. Break the system and you have real problems instead of just moral ones.

I believe I already mentioned that population pressures are the source of most of the current issues.

I've thought it out more than you have apparently. Also what exactly is it you think I'm suggesting?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

swarm:

It would seem so. Compare the number of cattle alive today to the number of bison that were ever alive at one time and I suspect that the numbers are far greater. I will attempt to confirm this if you wish to make an issue of it.

Some facts:

Source for the above: http://vegan.meetup.com/27/messages/boards/thread/4030823 and the links referenced therein.

This is disingenuous. When we add up the greenhouse effects of eating meat, we need to take into account not just the final act of consumption, but the entire process of production. Refer to the above statistics to get some idea of the total impact.

Modern farming practices have dramatically increased the productivity of the land used for grazing and for crops. The number of cattle supported on a given land area today is far greater than the number of wild cattle or bison or whatever lived there before modern humans came along.

You badly underestimate the impact humans have had and are still having on the land.

From here:

And also:

No. My suggestion is that we let most of the cattle currently alive live out the rest of their natural lives, without being allowed to breed. And, of course, we do not deliberately keep breeding more cattle.

This will reduce overall numbers without causing great pain and suffering.

Not true. Our farming and animal husbandry is totally controlled by us, in a way that no other animal controls its food. We are aware of ecological impacts of our actions.

Moreover, since we have created the current situation deliberately, we know exactly what is necessary to put things right.

It is strange that you alternately credit humans with superior intelligence some of the time, then at other times assume that humans are too stupid to appreciate the effects of their actions or to be able to change their behaviour. You need to decide whether these human top-level, smart predators of yours are actually intelligent or just another "dumb animal".

If this is your argument, then we already broke the system by systematically breeding more cows than is "natural", purely because some of us like a nice juicy steak.

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I can't believe that the "cow farts cause global warming" pseudoscience caught on at all.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MetaKron:

Do not troll. If you have evidence that cows do not in fact emit methane, for example, please post it. Otherwise, go away and leave the adults to talk.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

My comment was on topic and relevant. Why do you threaten and belittle me?

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

17. swarm Registered Senior Member

OK, "vegan meetup" is hardly an ubiased source of facts. However what exactly are you seeking to prove? I've already said cows aren't a great source of meat for the environment and acknowledged they produce methane (actually mainly from burps). That cows are a bad source doesn't mean that meating eating itself is a problem.

So what you are proposing is very efficient warehouse farming of more efficient and less polluting animals like pigs. Of course its cruel and in humane, but very environmentally friendly, particularly when the effluent is recycled. By the way I don't for a second believe your vegan numbers.

Or its not an either/or situation. The fact is we are currently top preditor and we have yet to show that we are a viable species in the long run.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Er, no. I'm proposing you stop eating meat.

Check them for yourself.

19. swarm Registered Senior Member

Ok, considered and rejected.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

James, I am not convinced everyone becoming a vegetarian will solve the problem. Where do we grow all the soy beans ? And I read somewhere that growing soy beans on a commercial scale produces at least as much greenhouse gases as keeping livestock for consumption.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Looking at the worlds population and where they live and how they live seems to indicate that the majority of them don't eat meat much if any at all. seeing that over 70 percent of the Earths population are living without electricity, clean water or other basic necessities and not much land that animals could graze on, it looks like their only means of survival is with vegetables like rice and other vegetables.

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The global warming and ozone scares mess up the works nicely which is why activists insist on using them. They are advocates of the animals who tell us that animal farts are destroying the planet? That story is hard to swallow and I won't try.

I am not even going to try to remedy cow farts. They are the result of the decay of organic matter and that organic matter was created in the first place by taking greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere, including methane. Not that I accept the greenhouse gas theory, but this is consistent with the idea that some portion of the carbon in the atmosphere should be kept out of the atmosphere.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Plants do not take methane from the atmosphere.