Problems with a site

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by pluto2, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

When i try to view this site with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3 i don't see the header options. Instead i get a blank page at the top. In Internet Explorer it works. What could be the reason for this?

http://www.aspbs.com/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

is it legit?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

What do you mean?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

It's because the header is php.

I think there's an AddOn to deal with this issue.

Head off to Mozilla and search there.

8. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Do you which add-on can fix this problem? I couldn't find any.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm using the current version of Firefox as well, however I see the header with no problem. It's possible that one instance of the site had no header for a server error and you are now seeing the cache occur each time.

I'd suggest cleaning out your cache and then make sure you use your "Reload" button to send a "refresh" request.

There is also the option that the sites AJAX (Javascript) could be misfunctioning if you've got tight Javascript filters on your browser. You could try adding this site to your trusted if you want to continue tight controls.

10. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

What are tight Javascript filters? What are tight controls?

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To be honest since you replied, I just tested the browser with no Javascript and that is not the problem. Like I said it's more likely to be that you cached a copy of the page and keep reloading the cache.

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Here's what happens on my copy of FF 3.0.3:

Broken PHP

In Opera the site works fine.

13. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

I cleared the cache but i still get the same problem:

Broken PHP

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I had yet another look... To be honest It's my bad... I wasn't paying attention to the OP and wasn't putting in the right site address Oops!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyways... The reason for the the PHP header not working correctly is actually a serverside issue. The page itself is made of two Frames. The top frame asks for top.php where as the bottom one asks for a .html page.

The php file either hasn't been uploaded with the right CHMOD (It might lack the "Execution" rights but still have the "Read" Rights) or for some reason the web server has lost it's ability to parse PHP properly and has defaulted to just sending the file to the browser on request.

I think the likelihood is that the page itself is just a HTML file, but has been named PHP and the webserver hasn't been configured to parse pure HTML contents without having any PHP contents to parse.

Anyways, the only thing you can do is hope that a webmaster is informed and the problem fixed.

15. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

But if it's a parsing problem then why does it work with Internet Explorer?

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's possible that there are two versions of the page that are pulled depending on the browser type.

Looking further at the code it does actually have exposed PHP commands within it. It's likely also that Internet Explorer only parses the HTML that's in the page rather than concluding it a download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.