Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Problems with a site

  1. #1
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606

    Problems with a site

    When i try to view this site with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3 i don't see the header options. Instead i get a blank page at the top. In Internet Explorer it works. What could be the reason for this?

    http://www.aspbs.com/

  2. #2
    is it legit?

  3. #3
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by John99 View Post
    is it legit?
    What do you mean?

  4. #4
    tending tangentially glaucon's Avatar
    Posts
    5,501
    It's because the header is php.

    I think there's an AddOn to deal with this issue.

    Head off to Mozilla and search there.

  5. #5
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by glaucon View Post
    It's because the header is php.

    I think there's an AddOn to deal with this issue.

    Head off to Mozilla and search there.
    Do you which add-on can fix this problem? I couldn't find any.

  6. #6
    I'm using the current version of Firefox as well, however I see the header with no problem. It's possible that one instance of the site had no header for a server error and you are now seeing the cache occur each time.

    I'd suggest cleaning out your cache and then make sure you use your "Reload" button to send a "refresh" request.

    There is also the option that the sites AJAX (Javascript) could be misfunctioning if you've got tight Javascript filters on your browser. You could try adding this site to your trusted if you want to continue tight controls.

  7. #7
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    There is also the option that the sites AJAX (Javascript) could be misfunctioning if you've got tight Javascript filters on your browser. You could try adding this site to your trusted if you want to continue tight controls.
    What are tight Javascript filters? What are tight controls?

  8. #8
    To be honest since you replied, I just tested the browser with no Javascript and that is not the problem. Like I said it's more likely to be that you cached a copy of the page and keep reloading the cache.

  9. #9
    We're setting you adrift idiot Xelios's Avatar
    Posts
    2,447
    Here's what happens on my copy of FF 3.0.3:

    Broken PHP

    In Opera the site works fine.

  10. #10
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    To be honest since you replied, I just tested the browser with no Javascript and that is not the problem. Like I said it's more likely to be that you cached a copy of the page and keep reloading the cache.
    I cleared the cache but i still get the same problem:

    Broken PHP

  11. #11
    I had yet another look... To be honest It's my bad... I wasn't paying attention to the OP and wasn't putting in the right site address Oops!!!

    Anyways... The reason for the the PHP header not working correctly is actually a serverside issue. The page itself is made of two Frames. The top frame asks for top.php where as the bottom one asks for a .html page.

    The php file either hasn't been uploaded with the right CHMOD (It might lack the "Execution" rights but still have the "Read" Rights) or for some reason the web server has lost it's ability to parse PHP properly and has defaulted to just sending the file to the browser on request.

    I think the likelihood is that the page itself is just a HTML file, but has been named PHP and the webserver hasn't been configured to parse pure HTML contents without having any PHP contents to parse.

    Anyways, the only thing you can do is hope that a webmaster is informed and the problem fixed.

  12. #12
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    The php file either hasn't been uploaded with the right CHMOD (It might lack the "Execution" rights but still have the "Read" Rights) or for some reason the web server has lost it's ability to parse PHP properly and has defaulted to just sending the file to the browser on request.
    But if it's a parsing problem then why does it work with Internet Explorer?

  13. #13
    It's possible that there are two versions of the page that are pulled depending on the browser type.

    Looking further at the code it does actually have exposed PHP commands within it. It's likely also that Internet Explorer only parses the HTML that's in the page rather than concluding it a download.

Similar Threads

  1. By NGM in forum Politics
    Last Post: 10-06-08, 09:45 PM
    Replies: 42
  2. By joepistole in forum Politics
    Last Post: 09-29-08, 08:58 AM
    Replies: 0
  3. By cosmictraveler in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 09-19-08, 06:25 PM
    Replies: 3
  4. By plakhapate in forum General Science & Technology
    Last Post: 08-21-08, 01:10 AM
    Replies: 3
  5. By lixluke in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 03-21-07, 07:55 PM
    Replies: 16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •