Government and size of population

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

A large population becomes a burden to a centralized government.

In part, this is why one world government wouldn't work. There's too many different cultures and too many different types of people to have one government cater to every need. It'd always result in someone being upset.

However, even in our seperate states, large populations are a hassle IMO.

What do you think is the ideal population size for a governing body?

I'd say somewhere between 100,000 and 600,000

Localized government would result in government being able to cater to the cultural, moral, and social needs of whatever specific society lives in a geographic area.

Centralized government is valuable for providing protection and economic stability, but as for social needs, it should be localized.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That should be obvious to anyone! Why do you think we ALSO have county and city governments as well - already???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually im not a fan of local goverment. They are in general incopitant, prone to bankrupcy and tend to be very curptable compared to the state and federal goverments. The independent crime and coruption comissions that the various state goverments have set up spend a portion of there time investigating the police oviously but most of the rest on local councils. Apart from one state goverment the rest have had very little if any coruption uncovered

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I had a sneaky hunch we'd here that from you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've no problem with you liking your form of government there. But over here, we like ours to be MUCH closer to the people the serve because we feel it make them more aware of, and more responsive to, local needs. These people live right next door to us.

It's also very easy to keep an eye on them to keep them as honest as possible - that's a lot harder to do the larger the government body becomes.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

it just tends to be that local councils seem to be more corupt, i dont actually know why that is but it is true. Maybe its cultual because they have less responcability, maybe its about shear numbers of indervidual councils so coruption can be be across a council without involving hundeds of people. I honestly dont know.

As for there finatial viability and there efficency that is more easerly answered, duplication. The more that has to be duplicated (for instance police admistration and infustructure rather than on the beet cops) the more it costs over all

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Once again, that may be fine for you - but it's not true here. We like our system just as it is.

So just stick to your own and stop trying to compare it something you've never once experienced (our system) in your entire life - OK?

10. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

You just can't beat City Hall!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Lordznebula5 Registered Member

Every country, state and county has their own rules. They handle all rather well although by the system exclusively and inefficiently sometimes since they avoid natures herbal cures. This sounds like a disturbing subject. Sounds as if you are against the worlds large population of are threatened by. Don't be. The larger population has not the ill that the few worlds wealthiest families and elite have towards all.
    The elite obviously don't want the population to continue. They are out for self preservation.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Asguard, get it into your head that when your facts and/or opinions differ from Read Only's, you forfeit the right to voice them.

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Hey! That's not what I meant at all. His problem in this case was the fact that he was talking about something he's NEVER experienced. That's not how it's done in his country, he likes it that way, and that's fine with me.

By comparison, it's the same as if someone who has never tasted an orange tried to tell those of us who have, what it tastes like.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

read only, the operning post wasnt talking about the US. It asked whats the ideal size for ANY goverment. Well im just as qualifided as you to comment on that statement

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, you are correct and I apologize.

My reaction was due to the fact that you and I HAVE been down this road before and you made it quite clear that you didn't understand how our system works and felt your's was much better.

I don't consider myself qualified (and really don't care, either) to comment on your system. My position is "to each his own."