Biden v. Palin: St. Louis Ribbing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Oct 2, 2008.

?

So who won? (Wait 'til [i]after[/i] the debate to vote, please.)

Poll closed Nov 2, 2008.
  1. Biden

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Palin

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Neither

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Other (?!)

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Let's start this off with a prediction. David Horsey suggests,

In the aftermath of the first presidential debate, commentators noted that all Barack Obama had to do in order to be successful was hold his ground in the foreign policy arena, which is considered McCain's stomping ground. And the general verdict was that the Democratic nominee did that at the very least.

Governor Palin faces a similar standard, albeit according to a slightly lower bar. In the first place, this is a vice-presidential debate. To the other, of course, she is Sarah Palin. If, as Horsey suggests, Palin is able to fill the two minutes for her general responses without any catastrophes, it may well be that her performance will be scored as a resounding success. For his part, Senator Biden must simply keep himself in check and make sure he does not come off as thrashing Palin too hard. American sympathies are a curious thing; as the sad tale of the Bush administration reminds, if you conduct yourself believably according to a standard of unbelievable stupidity, the People will rally around you.

Horsey also asserts that, "Probably the only way the event could have a big impact would be if Palin wanders off script and starts babbling nonsense as she did with Couric". I disagree. The McCain/Palin ticket is suffering in the public arena right now, experiencing declines in trust and prestige ranging from the discouraging to downright harrowing. Indeed, a poor performance by Palin could spin the campaign into freefall, but an adequate showing—here defined as the failure to thoroughly embarrass herself—could do much to stabilize waning confidence among swing voters and conservative faithful alike.

And this is the most likely scenario. Indeed, I agree with Horsey when he asks, "She can't be that bad, can she?

I mean, really, if she is that stupid and incompetent, it only makes us wonder all the more how she ended up as the nominee.

Notes:

Horsey, David. "Prediction: Palin will do well". Drawing Power. October 1, 2008. http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/davidhorsey/archives/150269.asp

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Expectations of Palin are so low that if she doesn't say "Well, duh, I don't know" in answer to a question, she will perform better than expected.

Many unremarkable people achieve high office, and my observation is that what they lack in intelligence and knowledge, they make up for in native cunning and an intuitive grasp of what is best to do.

They sometimes do a better job.
    Sometimes.

The other, horrible possibility, is that she is actually intelligent and covering it under the "just a silly woman" subterfuge.
    They do that you know, then they whack you.

I am really looking forward to this encounter.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

Those of us who will not be watching this exercise in futility will be the winners.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's why I don't need to wait until after the debate to vote.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

As a non-American, I am just an interested bystander.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm hesitant about this "debate". The moderator has written a book about Obama already and said she will be relesing it next year when Obama is elected. How can there be non bias from her? This is but another "rigged" television set up for Obama.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Rehearsal

Many thanks to those of you who made that special effort to vote early. I knew I should have made the poll public.

At any rate, 23/6 reminds,

Just click the damn link. There's a great slideshow there.

Notes:

Powers, Bob. "Debate Training - Biden learns what makes girls cry (WITH HOT PICS!)". 23/6. October 1, 2008. http://www.236.com/news/2008/10/01/debate_training_biden_learns_w_1_9211.php

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Is it a biased book?

Anyway, I am so looking forward to this debate. I don't care how prepared Palin is, you can't hide stupid.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Who knows, it' not out yet. But clearly someone planning to release a book on Obama on inauguration day would benefit if the person being inaugurated was Obama. That's called a conflict of interest.
    As am I.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Stupid is as stupid does.

Get the popcorn in. Turn the lights down.
    Let's wait and see.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I really don't know since it hasn't been released as yet but it would seem she has put a positive spin about him from what I hear. Still, she should excue herself if she has financial gains to be made from her book about him.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And the spin starts already. Is she going to give poor little Sarah a hard time?

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No, but the questions will be different to her than to Biden.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Unless she asks both candidates the same question, I would think she might be biased.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would hope so. What's the point of asking Biden if rape victims should be imprisoned if they get an abortion?

18. superstring01 Moderator

I can reset the votes to zero, if you like, but I do believe it would prevent said individuals from voting again.

You like?

Gwen Ifill is obviously a liberal, but being as such doesn't necessarily make her incapable of being an unbiased moderator. I consider her PBS shows to be one of the bellweather's of news & politics (NewsHour & Washington Week) and one of the few solid sources available on TV. Let's be real: she'll be on TV and it would obviously work heavily to the Republican's benefit if she did anything favoring the Democrats on national TV. In fact, I'm betting that's why they allowed her, so that anything she does -- intentional or not -- can be spun as bias, after the fact.

It's a pretty brilliant tactical move and plays far more to the Republican benefit than it does the Democrat, IMHO.

~String

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And oddly enough, having the likes of Gibson or Brokaw moderating the Pres debates doesn't cut the other way, and balance.

Bullshit doesn't balance unless reality does.

Which brings up the benefit of corrupting and employing the media to spread the meme of "liberal media bias", in the first place. Poisoning the oasis doesn't affect the camels and horses equally, muddied water is not as bad for carp as trout.

20. superstring01 Moderator

I wasn't defending it.

~String

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This grizzled veteran v pretty faced newcomer fight was played out before in 2004. Cheney v Edwards. It had mixed results.

Among committed voters, grizzled won.
    Among uncommitted voters, pretty won.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/05/debate.main/index.html

There is a slight difference this time, in that male viewers were not fantasising that Edwards would take off his glasses, shake out his tied up hair, spray under his ears with a little scent etc

Or were they?

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think Sarah will win: there is just not much more that she could do to fall below the bench mark she has set for her self, I also think Joe's head will explode if Sarah does what she did in that now infamous interview, this will mean sarah would win by default, and this would also make for great ratings being the first time an american politician's head has exploded on TV in ooooh 21 years, 9 months and 8 days.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Hysterical!

~String