Superstring is out of line

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Ophiolite, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I don't start threads. I have over 5000 posts and this is the third or fourth thread I have started. I just made a post in the Politics thread (Palintology)which will doubtless be deleted, in which the arsehole superstring censure Dr Lou Natic for a perfectly proper post in which he used a single defamatory word. This is the post made by Superstring:

Mod note:dr. lou if you can't play nice leave this forum.

This was the post I made in response:

This is a wholly unacceptable post.
    This is a science forum. The principles of science should be defended on this forum. Blatant avoidance of scientific principles, ignorance of scientific findings, and intransigent stupidity are to be condemned promptly and incisively.
    This is exactly what Dr Lou has done. The single questionable content in his post is the use of the defamatory word 'arsehole'. Everything else is wholly appropriate. It is also exactly what moderators should be posting if they wish to show that they will not tolerate unscientific, illogical nonsense of the type being posted by John99 in this thread.
    Instead of supporting Dr Lou's attack on John's ignorant, stupid, grotesque nonsense you attack Dr Lou. This forces me to ask are you as stupid, ignorant and grotesque as John99? If you are not what possible justification can you have for your actions.
    I demand, though I do not expect to see, that you apoligise to Dr Lou immediately and censure John99 for his use of babble within a science forum.

(If you refuse this simple and honest act, let me just mention in passing that you will have demonstrated that you are an arsehole.)

It is pathetic that mods will act on a complaint about language or ad hominems yet will tolerate gross and continous breaches of scientific methodology, logic and good sense. I can only assume this is due to a total lack of education, or a serious personality defect. The fact that this occured in the politics sub-forum is absolutely no excuse. This forum is called sciforums, not bird brained, lets support the loonies forum.

Feel free to comment, rant, or tell us what you think of Scottish country dancing.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think Scottish country dancing would be interesting. I was also surprised that string rebuked Lou, since it is not the first time that Lou has been colourful. Maybe you should have sent him a PM first?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Ophio, I don't know the situation. My impression and experiences with String have all been good. In my experience, he has always been fair and balance..a bit skewed to the right. And we do not often agree. But it has been my experience that he is always fair.

Sometimes we may not agree with the mod. But maybe sometimes it is good just to let it go and understand they are trying to do a job. I have been cautioned by Asguard, I didn't agree. But I respected his advice at let it go. Sometimes I think that is the best path. With a few exceptions I think most moderators try to be fair and are very respectful of fellow members.

I think issues like this are best addressed with private messages. I am sure String or other mods would be happy to address this with you in that fashion.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I expect moderators to act with discretion and balance. I do not expect to see misguided, inappropriate warnings directed at an individual who is supporting what this forum should be about. The warning to Dr. Lou was made in public. My rebuke of Dr. Lou is in public also. Members are not required to act with the same sense of discretion and balance required of moderators.

This is not the first time I have been appalled by the narrowmindedness and basic stupidity of moderator decisions. I regret that it may not be the last. Of course I know it is foolish of me to think that this is really a science forum and that it will honour in word and deed the principles of science, but then I am a foolish optimistic person.

Scottish country dancing is interesting, especially since traditionally nothing is worn under the kilt.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Ophiolite:
    firstly that was his third warning in a few days, one from bells, one from james and one from string

secondly he is up to one month in the banning procidures, the next ban is a permban IF james or plazma dont decide to change this one

thirdly string brought it to me to get an impartial final decision and I was the one who banned him

so basically lay off string

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your measured, thoughful and diplomatic comments.

However, I feel strongly that this particular example was representative of a malaise that infects moderation on this forum. Only a handful of moderators, in my opinion, deserve to be in place. I'll single out Tiassa, JamesR, SkinWalker and SAM. There may be others, but I have seen repeatedly a wrongheadness about decisions and a range of inconsistencies that are distasteful.

I am a moderator on a number of forums, under other names and under this one, so I know the pressures and the effort involved. That only encourages me to speak out as I have done. I am not looking for agreement, though I would welcome it. If the majority think it is good to condemn someone for a single expletive, yet to tolerate grossly unscientific thinking then I'll let the majority stew in their own ignorance. I'd like to think if enough people voice their objections that something might change.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

As I have already commented elsewhere, I am all for a more "encourage the scientifically accurate" forum than a "be polite to the idiots" forum.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Well I am not at all surprised since you were the turkey who banned BillyT. You really need to get some sense of proportion about what a science forum is about.

I have crossed swords with Dr Lou before. I happen to think he is a ****ing twat. However, in the censured post he was right on the money. Your inability to see this is a reflection on you, not on him and it damages the forum, not - as you intended - protects it.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Which is why you got my 'vote of confidence' in my earlier post. I have to assume Asguard and superstring are kids with little life experience and a consequent inability to make balanced judegement. (This is not an attempt to insult and belittle them. Trust me, if I want to do that it will be decidedly apparent.)

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Ophiolite if you dont like how this site is run your free to PM plazma and complaine about it, if and when that gets you no where your free to leave

as for billy T he was banned for spamming, pure and symple. If you read the threads you bitch in you would see that james actually agreed with the disision

So basically if you dont like it to bad, get over yourself. So what if you have modded other forums, you think that makes you special? it doesnt.

You have two choices here and two only
    you follow the rules set out at in the anouncment in every forum or you leave, pure and symple

14. Kadark Banned Banned

If you conspire to "permaban" Dr Lou, I will be on the next flight to Australia, just to personally rape you myself.

Who decides who the "idiots" are?

Kadark

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Used to be, in subforums I moderated, I did. Unfortunately, I made it excessively clear. Which made me "the most despised member of our community, subject to a fascination analogous to Aleister Crowley, who was once described as simultaneously the most loved and most feared figure of the twentieth century."

Apparently, for some reason, we have become a representative forum and aim at representing all strata of society, rather than defend the principles of the scientific method.

Hence I perform a mostly janitorial function these days.

16. Kadark Banned Banned

That tends to happen when popular forums such as "Politics", "World Events", and "Religion" exist.

Did you expect anything else?

Kadark

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, its not difficult to demand the same sort of empirical approach in those forums.

18. Kadark Banned Banned

Yes it is. How can you demand "scientific accuracy" in fields which don't require science? Should politicians get their Bachelor in Science before running for office?

Kadark

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

If it is acceptable to you I shall complain about it instead.
    That is nicely presumptuous of you.
    And that banning was wholly inappropriate. It demonstrated a total lack of any understanding on your part of the function of a moderator or the purpose of this forum. I dare say you will enjoy a highly succesful career as a traffic warden.

:shrug:
    Do you also write in English?
    Listen you arrogant little asshole, I made the point about being a moderator to illustrate that I fully understand and appreciate the difficulties and challenges of that role. That I have a strong sympathy for moderators. I do not consider my moderator positions make me special in any way whatsoever. Your comments in this regard simply show how out of touch with reality you are.
    1. I see you are still having difficulty with the language.
    2. I see you value slavish adherence to the rules over and above value of contribution.
    3. Since you won't fuck off I suppose I shall.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You can apply scientific principles to just about anything.

21. Kadark Banned Banned

How do you feel about your unsupported viewpoints in thread, "The Selfish Gene"? Surely, a determined scientific community would delete such non-conformist opinions.

Right?

Kadark

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and that

Actually, it's the seventh, but we take your meaning.

Please refer to the current complaint protocol.

Please understand, sir, I only mention this because I'm quick to remind people I don't have any respect for, so I'm kind of obliged to mention it to people I do respect. I'm aware that posting a complaint thread seems the more expedient and effective method, but in truth, it's not particularly effective.

• • •​

A note for S.A.M.

My heavy hair upon my olive skin
    _____(Baise la lourde crinière!)
    Frames with its ebony a face like sin.
    _____My heavy hair!

You touched my lips and told me I was fair;
    _____It was your wickedness my love to win.
    (Baise la lourde crinière!)
    Your passion has destroyed my soul—what care
    _____If you desire me, and I hold you in
    My arms a little, and you love for lair
    _____My heavy hair!

It is a fatal web your fingers spin.
    _____(Baise la lourde crinière!)
    Let our love end as other loves begin,
    _____Or, slay me at The Moment, unaware,
    Or, kiss in mutual death-pang if you dare—
    Or one day I will strangle you within
    _____My heavy hair!

(Aleister Crowley, "Aceldama: A Place to Bury Strangers In")

I'm not sure that's supposed to mean anything relevant. I just think that particular outburst is awesome. I mean, how many people throw that kind of tantrum at God? Besides, I get tired of quoting the lies. To the other, I suppose, the eighty-ninth lie, also called "Unprofessional Conduct", would probably be more useful to you:

I am annoyed about the number 89.

I shall avenge myself by writing nothing in this chapter.

That, too, is wise; for since I am annoyed, I could not write even a reasonably decent lie.

It makes for an excellent contemplation when dealing with the idiots.

Something like that.

I knew it! Damn it, why didn't I go dig up my print version instead of just working with an online copy? At any rate, I have corrected—I hope—the error I overlooked. Something bothered me about the French line; I knew it was supposed to rhyme. My apologies for not spotting it the first time 'round; I don't speak French.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unsupported viewpoints? You mean distinguishing between a gene centered theory of evolution from a non-gene centered theory of evolution? I always back up my statements with supporting material.

Anyway, I have discovered from past experience that such discussions resolve nothing. It would be better to focus on Ophi's plaint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.