Problems with the current healthcare system in the United States.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Sep 29, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by madanthonywayne
    Limit the time frame to what? A year? I think drug patents are only about 7 years already. Compare that to the lifetime patent for writers (I think it might even be lifetime plus 50 years!). A writer doesn't have to spend millions of dollars to get his drug approved. I'd say the patent for drugs should be the same as the copyright for books.I'm not familiar with doctor training in other countries. But I really can't see how making the education easier would result in a higher level of care.
    Nothing but generalizations there. You didn't even mention allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines, eliminating government mandates as to what must be covered under an insurance plan, or tort reform.

You say you've gone over this before, perhaps you did a better job there. Do you have a link to your previous post? ”

It would be nice if patent were only for seven years or less. But that is not the case. It is apparent you have not heard of patent term extensions.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac.../term/156.html

Notice how many drugs are listed with patent term extensions.

Drug companies often tweak their patent medication in order to obtain new patents. See the story of Nexium, how it was developed and marketed. Please see the story of project Shark Fin.

http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/technical/p36.htm

Drug companies are spending more time and money managing their patents than they are developing new drugs. Drug companies, from a patient point of view, should be spending money on drug development and not on patent extensions. Patent extensions are critical to progress and commerce. After all a patent is a monopoly and directly affects the delivery of goods and services. A copywrite does not affect the economy in the same way as a patent...that is why the difference in protection periods.

Drug companies are very good at making minor alterations to the drug and getting patent extensions. Another example of this is Caduet...it combines to existing drugs that happen to be going off patent and yeilds a new patent and new protections.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17244

Not lets move on to your next point"

"But I really can't see how making the education easier would result in a higher level of care"

I didn't say make education easier. You said that. I said that medical education should be medical education. In other industrialized and non industrialized countries physicans enter medical school directly out of high school. Medical trainning is six years versus eight plus years in this country. That is two extra years of expense for no reason other than to create a barrier to entry into the profession. And in my experience with the physicians, the best come from overseas...that would be my preference each and every time.

Mad, since skinwalker in his infinate wisdom closed the last thread for reasons known only to him. I am reposting a new thread to give you a chance to respond. Below are the problems with the current healthcare system.

And for you next point:
    "You didn't even mention allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines, eliminating government mandates as to what must be covered under an insurance plan, or tort reform"

I didn't mention insurance or tort reform because they are red herrings used by the medical industry to deflect attention from the real issues in healthcare. The real isssues are barriers to entry into the healthcare professions. The real issues are that the number of physicians trainned annual is limited by the AMA at the state level and at the federal level. I have made several previous posts wtih respect to tort reform demonstrating that it really is a red herring.

Insurance is the only agency in the current system exercising cost restraint because of their bargaining power...a power that the small guy does not have.