Is Palin a better pick than Biden?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by allersby, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Is Palin a better choice than Biden?

1. Yes

32.1%
  2. No

60.7%
  3. No Opinion

7.1%
  1. allersby Banned Banned

Really. Was Palin a better vote-getting pick than Biden, or is McCain sacrificing experience for political clout?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think Barack made the right choice in Biden from what I have read about him. He's more concerned with governance than votes. Of course, now we have to wait and see exactly how dumb the US voters are and see if they go for style over substance. Can't imagine what it would entail having two loonies like McCain and Palin running free around the world.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. allersby Banned Banned

I think that Biden is bound to mouth off and say something stupid, just like he has at all the other big opprotunities in his political career.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

What do you mean by better? If you mean the better political move with the sole aim of getting more votes then probably Palin. If you mean better for the country then Biden by a long shot.

It's so blindingly obvious that qualifications or ability to do the job had absolutely nothing to do with McCain picking Palin. It's pandering to voters, nothing more.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I agree with Xelios.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's a baffling objection. What could he say that would match Palin's normal rhetoric ?

Suppose we were running a swan against a leopard, and people were worried about the swan stamping in some mud and getting a spot on its feathers. Spots, you see, would disqualify the candidate - they would lose votes for spots.

How to respond to that ?

10. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Oh and of course, Biden was certainly NOT chosen because he is an old, white, establishment, pro-war, experienced candidate of course.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Obama chose Biden because he himself had no experience, so he needed a bit of credibility on his ticket for the voters. They were bot obviously political picks.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Of course Biden was a political pick, but not solely.
    If it were just about votes, he would have picked Hillary and been a shoe-in.
    Regardless, Biden would be much better for this country than Palin, in my opinion.

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Except Palin was way more obvious than Biden. If Obama lacks experience then the logical choice is to pick a guy with lots of experience to act as his wing man. That's good for politics and good for the country at the same time. If McCain has lots of experience the logical choice is not to pick someone with no experience at all, that would be of no benefit to the country.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

She did bring some temporary excitement to McSame's race, but I don't think it will work in the long term.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Biden's tits are old and hairy. On the other hand...

15. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Yes, Palin was a better vote getting pick then Joe Biden. Obama should of picked Hillary. Because America has proven that's it's more appreciative of the theatrical aspect of the campaign instead of the policy positions of either candidate.

16. epiman Banned Banned

No opinion

I'd have to say this because even though Palin is a complete idiot, she brings energy and controversy to the table.

17. epiman Banned Banned

The reason Clinton didn't get picked was because of Bill. My opinion is that we should send him off to a city with pretty girls so he can be ambassador.

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I think they were both pretty "strategic" picks. The difference is that Biden is actually qualified to be president should the need arise.

19. superstring01 Moderator

I think it has. As someone closely related to a boat-load of Republicans, I can say that they went from lukewarm to simmering when she got the nom.

That said, Biden was a great choice, but I still think that Obama should have picked Clinton. Call me crazy.

~String

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But how does her pick influence the independents? I would say it alienates them.

21. superstring01 Moderator

You're right about that. She will help with those women who are hellbent on electing a woman, no matter what (and that has to be a vanishingly small number). What she does is what any good candidate does: energizes the base. Why? I don't know. I mean, it's not like she'll be making policy, but the Evangelical base (25% of all voters, and about half of all Republican voters) were asleep until he picked her. They're awake now, and that, in and of itself, has made her worth while.

Now he has to make sure she keeps quiet. All she does is tell the same speech over and over. It's really annoying.

~String

22. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

23. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I think whenever she doesn't know how to answer a question (happens a lot) she just makes up other questions in her head and answers those instead. :shrug: