help me out guys

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by codanblad, Sep 22, 2008.

?

to go to heaven, do i have to:

1. 1. believe that jesus is son of god

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. 1. + 2. make an effort to be a good person

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 1. + 3. live how the bible wants me to (to best of my ability)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. 1. + 4 live how the bible says (meeting all/most criteria, effort irrelevant)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. 5. just be a good person, your religion/beliefs are irrelevant, morality is rewarded.

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

CHRISTIANS ONLY!!!

IF YOU ARE NON-CHRISTIAN, AND BELIEVE THAT ONE OPTION FITS WITH THE OPINION OF THE MAJORITY OF CHRISTIANS YOU SPEAK WITH, PICK THAT BOX.

just trying to get a better idea of what people think. some christians told me i can be a rapist so long as i believe in jesus, and still go to heaven. i wondered what other christians might think of that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

even though i am not a christain, any normal christain would say that is a load of fuckin bullshit

Being a muslim (ok a bloomin crap one) then the same rules apply, a rapist is a rapist in other words an evil fucking prick!!! (literally)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I'm not a Christian anymore but I would like to think that if God is as loving as many believe him to be then it should be choice 5. However I went to Christian schools for all of my elementary thru jr high years and according to my teachers (from different schools) all you have to do is accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and truly believe it and mean it. That's it. Your works should reflect your belief... It's kind of unfair in some respect because you could be a devout Christian your entire life always doing the right thing and never giving into temptation and then you are rewarded by getting into heaven, but then someone else who has done nothing but wrong their whole life never even felt remorse for giving into worldly temptations...etc can repent on their death bed and still get into heaven. But yeah I believe that's all there is to it. Different sects my disagree, but that's what I was taught.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I'm not the best christian example but I think that most people would say that you have the repentance has to be real also.
    I mean if you repent on your death bed, is it because you really feel bad about your actions or because you're going to die and are suddenly afraid for your own (spiritual) well being? The second is still a selfish move, IMO.

I tend so say that if I don't make it into heaven, oh well. Even if I'm not one of the "elect", there is piece of mind in simply fighting the good fight, regardless of what happens when I die.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm non Xian but I think the formula is accept Jesus as the son of God and repent for your sins.

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Believe Jesus and follow His teachings to the best of ones ability

If a person did that then they would do all in their power to resist the urge to rape. To the extent of turning themselves into the authorities and allowing themselves to be imprisoned.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

So it's a case of do as I say, not as I do. Or do you mean, follow all that which Jesus does and says.

11. Adstar Valued Senior Member

It is a case of believe what I have said and do your best to live up to what I have said, but don't worry when you fail to live up to what I said.
    I know full well that you will fail to live up to what I said. I will forgive you the times when you fail. Not because of the times you succeeded to live up to what I said, but because you believed and accepted what I said was and is right.

12. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

why is it? can't jesus forgive anything? everyone has reasons for what they do, maybe jesus understands rapists better than you and i.

i'd hope jesus would be considering that this person has to burn in eternity for something they might have done once. what crime is big enough for that?

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zakariya04
    even though i am not a christain, any normal christain would say that is a load of fuckin bullshit

Being a muslim (ok a bloomin crap one) then the same rules apply, a rapist is a rapist in other words an evil fucking prick!!! (literally)

Why ask these questions to a mulsim that does not believe in Atomenent for ones sins through believing Jesus?

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Of course Jesus would forgive anything, one would like to think. Jesus reminds me of a hippie. He was all about Peace and Love (with the exception of free love).

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

It will depend upon which Chrisitian cult you belong to. Many have the same superstitions regarding mythical afterlife and heaven. Most Christian cults have similar superstitions regarding heaven.

If you're an adherent and you're asking to satisfy your own beliefs, it may, perhaps, be better to inquire with an official or authority figure from your own cult.

16. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

Are you sure anybody should. I don't think it would be wise, considering how he has lied and thieved, etc..
    But then again it is no wonder Christians lies so much, if thats the example they follow.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

Personally, I think the best bet is to simply be a good person. But no religion is going to make you do that. If you're a good person, you will be a good person regardless of what, if anything, you worship. Conversely, if you're not a good person, no amount of worship will change that.

But the people that don't bother me are the ones who have a personal relationship with their god and don't adhere to the stupid rules like not eating meat of Fridays or hating people simply because of the way they are. I also think the Catholic institution is as progressive a religious sect as there is in the Western world, at least as far as the Abrahamic religions go. They seem to understand, accept, and even thirst for science and scientific advancement, and they don't pretend that the Bible is literal, nor is it a history book. They see it for what it can be to a person; a good guideline for living a decent life as a decent human being.

18. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

being a christian, i think the idea of christianity and baptism is the idea of associating with how Christ lived his life and believing that he is the way to the God. Jesus' life was his message and that was for the people around him and those to come. I think the idea of christianity has been so muddied in the water for so long that people miss the fundamentals about it. It is about loving others and treating them better. It is about helping those in need. It is about faith. It is about belief. It is about life.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

It's about more than that, and you know it. Just because you reject aspects of Christianity does not mean that those ugly parts aren't real.

20. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

What else is it about? Why complicate a simple matter? The Church has overcomplicated a simple message for long enough no?

21. epiman Banned Banned

I cannot say anything seeing as I believe that no single option defines the "requirements."

22. Balerion Banned Banned

Simple message? Have you even read your Bible?

23. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Seems pretty simple to me. Maybe im an elitist...and yes, i have quite thoroughly studied the bible.