Is living a life of hardship worth a single moment of happiness in the end?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by chris4355, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

This has been a question I always pondered throughout my life, but I guess seeing the thread about Mew's suicide kinda sparked me to ask this question.

I did not know him, but I read his suicide note, and it kinda got to me.

So what do you guys think?

-----

For me, I would admit I have never really endured many hardships to a point where I contemplated suicide, I have had hard times here and there - but who doesn't?

As of now though, I do think that a painful life is worth living if it may mean even 5 minutes of happiness somewhere in between.

Whats the point of letting go? if you can even get a glimpse of something good before it all turns to nothing, its worth it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I don't think so.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Chris, there was a point in my life when I considered sucide. I had endured a lot of pain. My parents had died. I was orphaned. I had a very difficult relationship with my stepmother. Fortunately I came to understand that life is not all about me; that my perceptions of others was frequently wrong. The perceptions of myself were wrong. But to come to those conclusions, I had to understand life is much bigger than me. As long as I can make some small contribution to others....life is worth living. As long as I can bring a smile to someones face, life is worth living. Life is bigger than the pain we endure and bigger than the joy we receive. Life is about living, loving and giving. As long as we have an ounce of life left in us, we can and should go on living, loving and giving.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Joe-That was quite poetic. Well done.

Chris-I go back and forth on this. Part of living life is having a desire to live it. If you lack the desire to live, happiness/sadness become void. Sadness reminds us of what it is to experience happiness, and vice versa. I have trouble maintaining my desire to live. I find it very burdensome at times, but second nature at others. I must assume that either a)everyone experiences this exercise of maintaining desire to live, or b)Most people are not self-aware enough(not a put down) to recognize the existence of an active desire to live.

Also, never underestimate the power of impulse when it is combined with strong emotion. The combination of the two can be very toxic.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have a chemical imbalance that I cannot control. It makes me want to commit suicide for really no apparent reason other than I just feel the urge to off myself at times. I take medications to make my body in balance to a certain degree but still feel the urges from time to time that I cannot control. So it isn't what life throws at you it could also be what your own body is doing to you as well.

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

when i was just 14 i tried to kill myself, i woke up in my local hospital with tubes down my throat, and i am so glad i am here to see my kdis grow up, enjoy all the things i have,

so yeah a life of ahrdship is worth a single piece of happiness in the end, if you were to die, you wouldnt taste happiness,

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

YES. I fucking refuse to ever direct my anger at myself. That would be admitting defeat.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Now, MURDER is an impulse I can understand.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would rather ask the question, when the happiness of life ends, it is worth 5 minutes of pain to end your life? Perhaps so.

If your life is full of hardship, I would at least attempt to get some happiness before I thought about ending it.

13. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I love freaking out people by saying I'd kill myself if I felt like it. Nihilism scares people, it's pretty funny really.

14. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

The thing is, we're not above our basic instincts, as much as we want to be. Many of us know life is meaningless, and logically, we should kill ourselves, because it would be like falling asleep, but you wouldn't wake up. Your life would be, well, over, and you wouldn't suffer anymore. The fact that you cannot enjoy life anymore is irrelevant, because you're not missing out on it, because you are dead. But, we are bound to our basic instincts, we are self-preservationists, we normally will not end our lives.

15. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Interesting responses.

I have a question for those who answered saying they suffer from depression and chemical imbalances...

When you are depressed, can't you reason yourself out of it? There have been times in my life where I have been extremely depressed, I didn't eat for 5 days, didn't sleep etc...

But I always was able to think myself out of it just by realizing there could always be something more. I never took pills or smoked weed to get myself out. I just did some deep thinking and never came to a point where I contemplated killing myself.

But maybe other people like me who never contemplated suicide have never been in a situation as bad emotionally, we are all different so it obviously is very subjective no matter how bad or irrelevant the situation that emotionally affects someone actually is.

I do know plenty of people like joe and lucifer though who attempted it and are glad it didn't work. Which is why I do not believe in suicide because you cannot ever tell if its a right decision to do it or not without ever clearly knowing your future.

Hamtastic - I guess I never realized that there was such a thing as a lack of desire to live, never thought people actually would go through that. Desire to live to most is like the air we breath I guess.

16. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

It's pretty funny, yesterday, for the first time I thought "I'm gonna kill myselfffffff." It was just an expression, but I think that means that I considered it. Though, whenever I'm sad I just think about a special someone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

lol well, judging by your name you seem like someone who caused a lot of suicides.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Suicide is one of the few true freedoms each of us has.

19. Bluecrux Light Bearer Registered Senior Member

Nice thoughts, Joe.

Chris. I think most of the people in our present materialistic world are gonna contemplate suicide at quite many points in their life . Quite brave that you didn't .
    Almost everyone goes through good and bad times and there are some people who keep going through the bad times again and again . In this process , they just somehow train themselves ( by enlightened by articles or by being more aware of their mind , or just making them learn some techniques ) of how to quickly move away from being in a bad mood, gloom , depression or all those negative thoughts .
    It's about recogonising our bad thoughts . Being more aware of what goes in our mind . Everytime there's always a tug of war between the GOOD +ve thoughts producing and the EVIL -ve thoughts producing section of our mind and there's always a delicate balance and whenever somehow some event in our life causes our brain to disturb that balance , we shift to the happier/sad states of our mind .
    We perhaps should train ourselves to be aware of our mind, it's mechanism and explain to ourselves that the daily events in our lives are nothing more than some programming code put into our computer mind to respond and react accordingly .
    All the events that happen with us are arbitrary like maths just that they are not in numbers . And they animate us and our mind .
    Cheers,
    Daniel .