can I unregister myself to vote.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chris4355, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

apparently if you register to vote you are more likely to get called in for jury duty.

every fucking year since I have been 18 I have been called for jury duty.

the pay for jury duty sucks too, and its a 50 minute drive from my house ><

anyone know how I can get out of this... im thinking of wearing a shirt that says "guilty"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

I have been called to Jury duty, and Defence Attorneys love to have me on the Jury, so do the Prosecuting Attorneys.

As , I have been told, they like the fact that I am absolutly impartial.

A bad reputation to have if you don't want to be on a Jury.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

No once they know your name it's too late. They can even track you through library cards and your driver's license. I guess if you move around a lot you can get out of it. I get out of mine because they still think I live at my parents' house.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Interesting.

In Australia, if you sit on a jury you're then exempt from being selected again for 3 years.

Things aren't the same where you are?

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Usually they are.
    You should look into it chris, it may be a valid reason to be excused.

9. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

I skipped it everytime... but I have a feeling one of these times I'm not going to get so lucky. ><

I'm a full time student, and I'm currently broke. I will be willing to perform my civic duty when I'm 70 and retired.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I enjoyed jury duty, and I felt a sense of pride in performing my civic duty.

11. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I've never been called. In Arizona everyone's assumed guilty. Every case results in a plea bargain here. So it seems anyways.

12. superstring01 Moderator

I'm pissed. I've registered in every state I've lived in and have voted for somebody in every election since I turned 18 and I've never been on a goddamned jury. I've always wanted to. My dad gets selected for Jury duty at least once every five years. This totally sucks.

~String

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

enjoyed it. I was on a grand jury and got to see how cops and prosecutors sometimes twist the facts to push their agenda.

also, how government agencies fail to work together (even in a little country jurisdiction).
    For instance,we had to tell the police that one guy they were searching and searching for was ALREADY IN THEIR JAIL.
    I'm not sure we had the right to do that but when the whole jury starts laughing you have to explain yourselves.

14. John99 Banned Banned

Best way is to move to another country.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many states use the drivers licences to get jury members not your voters registration.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Exactly!!! :thumbsup:
    Chris I think you are a self absorbed twit.

17. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I will not feel a sense of pride, but I will definitely enjoy my jury duty. It's for all residents, right? Not just citizens? I love watching Law & Order, my little fairy tale world tells me it's gonna be just like that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Nothing at all like that.
    In some ways, though - even better.

I was the jury foreman.
    I was the one dissenting opinion and I convinced the others to come around to my way of thinking - like you see in the movies, but it wouldn;t have been fun to watch, just fin to be in.

19. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

how much do you get compensated for per hour?

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Next to nothing.
    I think I got $11 a day, maybe?
    Basically, enough to pay for public transportation and a brown bag for lunch.

21. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Civic duty, I pay my taxes, all the money goes to shit I don't give a crap about.

If they at least paid me a decent amount of money I would consider going. I have read horror stories about people who have been forced to attend jury duty for months - aint risking it.

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

chris: "anyone know how I can get out of this... im thinking of wearing a shirt that says "guilty"...

I will be willing to perform my civic duty when I'm 70 and retired.

...Civic duty, I pay my taxes, all the money goes to shit I don't give a crap about.

If they at least paid me a decent amount of money I would consider going."

You're obviously a civic child. Grow up.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Wanting all the benefits that this society and culture has to offer and being unwilling to shoulder of the responsibilities and accountabilities requisite to have such a system is one of the biggest problems this country is facing.

Less than half the poeple vote in local elections - and just a hair over half vote in national elections.
    As far as I am concerned, in a democratic system, less than half voting is a vote for dictatorship.

People want quality roads, safe streets and a slid civic infrastructure, but do all they can to avoid paying taxes.

People want a fair trial, but most people do whatever they can to get out of jury duty.