How can someone convert to being one of those special people?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Betrayer0fHope, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Jews and Christians are special peoples, how can one convert to being chosen or whatever?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Converting to christianity is pretty straightforward. You have to choose to believe in God, that Jesus was his son, that Jesus died as a sacrifice for your (and everyone's) sins, then simply ask for the Holy Spirit to come into your heart. Some people say you "feel" different, but I don't think that is a requirement.

A side note, aren't muslims special too? Hindus? Do you want to become a Jew or Christian? Why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Just say, "I'm Jewish" or "I'm Christian."

Of course, it helps if you know a little of their doctrines and dogma. You'll also have to at least pretend to believe in it, but as long as other members of these cults believe you believe, then you're in.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CheskiChips Banned Banned

It's tougher than that. If you're Jewish and you try to marry another Jew an investigator searches you out and digs up all the dirt they can. If they find anything that warrants discontinuing the marriage or that your conversion wasn't done properly...he has authority to stop the wedding. In which case the Jewish woman probably wouldn't want to marry you anyways.

Converting to Judaism is difficult and can take anywhere between 6 months to 10 years, really all depending on how strict the rabbi is (Stricter, the more valid your conversion is.) For example reform conversions don't count in Orthodox communities, neither do Conservative (some do) and often a couple *to be unnamed* don't give valid conversions.
    You have to learn to read Hebrew fluently, know some aramaic and be able to recognize Jewish law on many different topics.
    And that's all if you can find someone who will do it for you..

8. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Would everyone just accept me as a Jew or Muslim (I guess Christians are pretty lenient) if I suddenly claimed to be one?

9. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Not in a Jewish community.

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

MOD: Please keep in mind the topic is about conversion to the two religions mentioned and not the legitimacy of one of these religions to occupy their nation. For that discussion, please see this thread.

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

How can you go about doing that? Do you just squeeze very hard or what?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

How about atheists?

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

The same way you choose to believe that you ill not choke when you eat. You think about it enough that the thought becomes second nature.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That's called 'self-delusion.'

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

It's also called self-brainwashing. Beliefs are generally learned one way or another. You could simply begin living your life the way you imagine a christian should act, to include prayer. Before long... you find that the belief is more natural than the non-belief.

16. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

You supposedly have to be predestined by God to be a Christian in order to ever be able to choose to be a Christian now. That is what the Bible teaches anyway, so good luck. Because of this, no Christian can ever be 100% sure that they really are a "true" Christain.

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

What!? I declare you frooty, crunchy, and good with milk! /slaps SA with a large trout/ What evidence do you have of this? Chapter and verse if you please.

18. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Glad you asked! I will look it up for you when I have a few minutes.

Thanks

19. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Here are a few examples of what I was referring to:

According to the following text we were predestined for adoption before the world was ever created.

Ephesians 1:3-6
    3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him in love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

Sorry, but again, according to the following we are predestined.

Ephesians 1:11-12
    11also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.

And according to the next text, salvation is solely by God’s choice, has nothing to do with any sins committed, any good deeds done, or even man's “freewill” decision.

Romans 9:6-24
    9For this is the word of promise: "AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON."
    10And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;
    11for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, 12it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER." 13Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED." 14What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be! 15For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." 16So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." 18So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. 19You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" 20On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? 21Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

In many other passages God allegedly even hardens, blinds, and confuses people Himself to actually prevent them from ever being saved. This is even the reason given in the Bible for why Jesus spoke to the people in parables instead of speaking in a way that they could clearly understand. Only the 12 were usually given the interpretations of the parables, not all the people. So, again, "the truth" was hidden from most people deliberately so they could not understand and be saved. I can look some of those passages up for you if you wish.

Anyway, you have to come to your own conclusions on all of this.

Best Wishes!

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Drink a quart of bleach.

21. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

SA-I see what you're saying. As it was argued in another thread, God's foreknowledge makes our free will meaningless. If before the foundations of time all of the chosen were chosen, then what we do or say is meaningless, as we are all just clockwork automatons. There are better arguments against this than mine, but I will offer mine anyway. All mentions of predestination was made by Paul in letters. Paul, like any theologian, had good ideas and bad ideas. Predestination is one of his worse ideas. Why would God desire a relationship with us if we were merely colockwork automatons?

"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, But to do justly, To love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"-Micah 6:8

This verse sums up God's intentions for man eloquently. It implies that God desires a relationship with us. It seems an awkward way to go about things to create something that is going to follow a set path, then to desire a relationship with it.

22. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

spidergoat-not bleach. Drano. Drink it quick because it'll burn on the way down.

23. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

The question then might be:

If Paul is found to be teaching a false doctrine that involves a very basic component of the gospel itself, then how much can I trust him to teach "the truth" on anything else?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008