Laptop Hackers Forums ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by pcd2k, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcd2k Registered Senior Member

I am employed in a small home-based business of Computer Reselling.
    We began dealing with Macs then SGI's and are now branching out into PC Laptops, the problems we are encountering with this technology is that many of these laptops have system admin passwords enabled on them. We have begun researching this area by going directly to the manufacturers Forum Sites only to discover that they are telling us to ring them directly and furnish our receipt numbers, but because we are buying them from Auctions of Businesses that have gone bust we are thus not able to produce the original receipts.

We are now wondering if there are hackers forum sites or some such groups of computer nerds that can help us over-ride these admin passwords or perhaps illustrate how we might be able to hack the bios chip ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

If it's NT you can remove the hard drive, boot with another OS, and replace the SAM file with one of your own. Then you can log on with the username & password from the SAM you put on it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay there are many questions here, that I guess anwers too, Just hope it helps:

If your talking about the "Systems Adminstration" in the BIOS, then ont he most part you have to open the laptop up and look for a "Discharge jumper". Some models have this, usually in the RAM bay at the bottom.

Make sure the system is unplugged and off, remove the Batterie, and then move the jumper. (If there is no jumper, there will be a jumper point that you can "Arch" with a piece of metal, like a screwdriver to discharge)

If you have the right equipment you might have a discharge cable with a discharge mat to do the job.

If there is no jumper, then the only other options are "Remove the CPU" or "remove the graphics chipset".

This can discharge the ROM memory of the BIOS resetting it to factory defaults. BUt be careful, if your selling this Laptops it's very easy to damage the screwheads.

One that worked with most older computers was to remove the "ROM Batterie", but some machines don't have them so thats why I mentioned the other method first.

In the past when I'e used these methods I've always held the "I own this machine if I mess it up", okay so I gained a few computers (that I wanted) but I've learnt about the architectures I've toyed with.

If you on about the OS system locking you out, there are many different methods of gaining access ranging from using a "Setup boot disk" to loading a linux kernel from floppy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

If you are having a literal problem with your entire laptop (like your BIOS, you can't even boot to your OS), then the best idea is what Stryder recommened, use a jumper switch to reset your ROM chip to the factory defaults.

I'm not totally sure about laptops, but jumper switches (which some people call jumper cables, but they are by no means a cable, you can tell by looking at one) on all other devices (PC motherboards, CD-ROMs, harddrives, etc....) look like very tiny rectangles. They are made of plastic and come in a variety of colors.

Basically, these are used for shortening 2 pins (which the effect of, is to tell the computer what to do, or change a setting, like make a CD-ROM a slave instead of a master drive, or reset your CMOS on a motherboard).

If you look at one (they are very small), you will likely see 2 little notches on one of the sides. This is the side you want facing you when you apply one, and not the side you want going on to the 2 wires and your computer. They can only be applied vertically (otherwise you might damage or destroy your hardware)

Actually I think the notches are there so you can sink your fingernails in them to apply the switch

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As I said, I don't know about laptops, but this would be instructions for a PC.

You'll have to change your motherboard jumper switch from the default setting, to the only other available one (usually there are only 3 pins for your BIOS reset, the jumper switch covers 2 of them, so if there is a pin visible and sticking up on the left, remove the switch and get it to cover the left and middle pin, and leave the right one open).

Make sure your PC is completely unplugged from anything (basically jerk the power supply cord out of the wall electrical socket) when you do this. Once you have changed the switches, plug your PC back in, and try to turn it on. Nothing should happen, your PC shouldn't come on, but this means your BIOS has been reset.

Then unplug it, reapply the jumper switch to normal mode, then ressume as normal.

For an OS problem, you can simply put in a boot disk, and reformat the harddrive.

I just hope I am not supplying this info to some kid trying to break into confidental data (that's what true password proggies are for, unless you are the code source writer, or a good cracker with the right software, neither of these methods will work - reseting your BIOS won't do you jack amount of good for OS based password proggies; and if you reformat your drive, you will lose the info you were trying to steal).

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Even in PCs, jumbers are rare these days. If it's an older computer, they're more likely to be there, be check anyway.

I mean oooops, I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2002
  9. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

That's very incorrect.

If you have a modern CD-ROM drive, look on the back where the IDE connection, power plug, and CD-audio input are.

There should be 6 pins (3x3), one set of 2 with a jumper on it. This is to determine whether the drive will serve as a master, slave, or cable select (the second port on an IDE cable is always master, the first is slave)

This goes for harddrives as well.

Motherboards also carry jumpers, as well as a few other devices. And I am talking about very modern parts (my 266A motherboard has a jumper setting).

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

pcd2k

If you can get a "Recovery Disc" for the laptop, place it in the CD-ROM drive and turn it on. It will re-format the hard-drive and re-install the OS and will allow you to enter your own password.

11. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

(Q) That's not going to help one bit if the password is in the BIOS.

People, please get your info correct before posting.

12. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I stand corrected.

13. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

It's ok. I'm just saying, example, a month from now, someone on another forum, who maybe hasn't studied properly, could give out advise that could fry someone's computer.

I've just gotten some conflicting info about AMD's Thoroughbred processors. I thought they were designed to be a value processor (similar to a Celeron or Duron) - now I am being told they could be made as mobile (notebook/laptop) versions of the Athlon XP.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think this is where I need to come in and ask some questions. I have a laptop I screwed up. The problem is that I started to install MS Office. Once it was ready to reboot, I changed my mind and stopped the install process. When it rebooted it locked into a cycle. It reboots, will not recognise the cr rom after prediagnostic boot. (The light comes on indicating that the CD and the disk drive was checked) The screen shows the bootup and then goes dark. It will recognise the password disk on boot up but after reading it will display and open the opening screen which askes for the password. After I give it the screen dies to a blank (even though it recognises the correct password to advance off of the password screen) It will not read the cd rom to use the restore disk. It will not answer to safe mode. Nor can I get there from multile reboots. Now, I think that I have load instructions for which there is no program and so it locks up. (My thoughts on it). How do I regain use of it?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Clarentavious

(Q) That's not going to help one bit if the password is in the BIOS.

Whenever I've had to re-format my laptops with a "Recovery Disc," an option appeared to default all settings in the BIOS. Choosing to reply in the affirmative to this option resets all settings in the BIOS to default, including the password.

16. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I'm not totally familiar with restore disks for laptops (especially from by what I like to call "garbage companies" like dell, compaq, HP, gateway, etc....), but your haddrive cannot control your BIOS settings, and has nothing to do with it.

Your BIOS is stored on firmware (flash memory/ROM chip) on your motherboard. You can swap a million harddrives through the same laptop and it is not going to change your BIOS settings (though your system may crash with the wrong settings).

You can change your BIOS settings by either entering your BIOS or using a flash writing program (like from Award).

I'm not exactly sure how these restore disks work, but reformatting your HDD is not going to change your BIOS settings.

(Q) if that works for you, then it may be a possible solution for him. But I've never seen or heard anything like this.

I think alot of people don't seem to realize, you computer can function to a certain extent without an operating system at all. Different pieces of your hardware are constantly interacting with other pieces (especially prior to post).

Your computer will go as far as just prior to booting before it will stop (by default your PC looks to boot off a floppy first, then your harddrive, then possibly another device like a CD-ROM or networking device - you can change this order in your BIOS). If your PC finds no valid software to boot off (usually starting with the most basic scripts and instructions), from any source, you will usually get an error message saying "Non-system disk, replace and strike any key when ready"

With some computers (possibly like MAC/Apple, or older PCs, I don't know), you may have very limited functionality like a mini DOS type mode (integrated in your motherboard somewhere) without any software to boot off of.

It's just like, if you have any sort of video device/adapter (whether it be integrated or a card), it will function at 320x240 in 16 colors without any drivers at all.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm looking at your problem Wet1, if that was me in your position I would take a Setup Disk for Win98 or the like, and use it to gain use of commandline and possibly the CD-ROM.
    (Use this method rather than trying to gain safe mode)

I would look to see if the system has made a backup of critical systems files. Afterall during an install process, things that get changed are the configuration files. (Things like Win.ini, Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, system.ini) The backup should be named the same but with a different extension. (like *.bak)

You'll need to look at that dates, look for the most recent, but older than your current.

The best method of dealing with this is SCANREG.exe, I believe this is executable through commandline, Scanreg checks your systems registery for errors and creates BACKUPs, in this case you should be able to load and Older Backup.

If you load the older backup, it should put your system back in order. (fingers crossed)

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

clarentavious

I'm not totally familiar with restore disks for laptops (especially from by what I like to call "garbage companies" like dell, compaq, HP, gateway, etc....), but your haddrive cannot control your BIOS settings, and has nothing to do with it

Your BIOS is stored on firmware (flash memory/ROM chip) on your motherboard. You can swap a million harddrives through the same laptop and it is not going to change your BIOS settings (though your system may crash with the wrong settings).

You can change your BIOS settings by either entering your BIOS or using a flash writing program (like from Award).

I'm not exactly sure how these restore disks work, but reformatting your HDD is not going to change your BIOS settings.

The hard drive has nothing to do with the restore disc. The restore disc works off the CD-ROM and begins to take over once the laptop is turned on. As there is an option located in the BIOS to reset all settings to default, this option also appears on the recovery disc soon after the recovery disc is initiated and before the formatting begins. It's no big deal and does work quite well.

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The trouble is that I can access none of these functions. You can hear the hd spin, the cd rom spin, the floppy cover open. No OS appears. No restore screen to work from. No dos, just a blank screen before Win98 should kick off. There is where it locks. No key responce other than when I use the password disk. It recognises the password starts to change to the next screen and then locks.

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This sounds a bit of an odd one, I don't think the problem is going to be any further than the HDD in this case.

Check your Hard drive is in properly, might have been dislodged.

As you know the harddrive covers all the boot info, if its not mounting then thats where your problem is. If it's connected properly, then your going to hae to question if the heads are sticking. (this can occur if the laptop has been left in an environment where condensation can cause it to stick).

You might be able to "knock" the harddrive to work, (this means taking it out) but there is a probability that it would invalidate any warrantees. So make sure thats your last resort before canning the drive.

21. pcd2k Registered Senior Member

Laptop Hackers Unite

Thanks for all the fish but we have discovered that the machine has a security eprom.
    Stryderunknowm mentioned loading a linux kernal from a floppy, what does this mean ?
    We have no experience with this animal.

We tried almost all of your suggestions, when we removed the rom battery and put in another thats when the security eprom warning appeared ?

Q mentioned getting a recovery disc, we wonder where we might get one ?

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm going out on a limb here but an EPROM password warning is probably a warning about the ROM being WIPED. This means you need to FLASH the ROM possibly with a new program.

For this you need to gain an idea of your Laptop type, its make, model and any other information you can dig up. (Like the Board revision etc)

You should then look at the manufacturers site for a DOWNLOADS page, you should find some FLASH firmware downloads for your Motherboard/BIOS.

(This is going on gut instinct, since I use a BH6 motherboard that has a Rom that I can FLASH.)

If you can't find what your looking for then you can message me any architecture information that you can dig up and I'll scout around for more information. (possibly the download you require)

From what I can guess your partially there.

(Just a note on the Linux Kernel mention:

The linux Kernel approach was for a system that has been password protected on the harddrive and a normal setup diskette isn't gaining you access. Linux kernels can be made to be bare minimum of loads like a few drivers, and could fit on a floppy.

Linux is basically a Opensource freely distributed operating system code that has metamorphed into many different flavour's.)

23. sharoosunidhi Registered Member

Hi,
    I am newly join in this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.