Obama to drop Biden?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Sep 11, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

When I heard Biden was on Obama's short list, I crossed my fingers and hoped he'd pick him. He's a non-entity famous for never getting out of the single digits when he ran for president. An old, white blowhard that dilutes Obama's message of "change".

Now Obama and Biden seem completely incapable of dealing with McCain's pick for VP. Obama, rather than Biden, is actually attacking McCain's VP candidate! That's absurd. Then Obama puts his foot in his mouth with the whole pig/lipstick comment. His campaign seems to be imploding.

So today at a rally a man asked Biden if Hillary would have been a better pick than him and Biden said yes!
    "Make no mistake about this," Biden responded. "Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me.​
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/biden-hillary-a.html

Now, even if you feel that way, why would you admit that you were a crappy choice for VP? If he really felt that way, he shouldn't have accepted the position! There's only one reason I can think of for him to say that, to lay the groundwork for him to step aside and be replaced by Hillary. And, guess what, Obama is going to New York tommorow for a meeting with Bill Clinton!
    Could Obama be planning to give Biden the boot? If so, would it work? Obama would be admitting that the first and only presidental decision he's made was flat out wrong.

What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

2nd Meeting(though maybe the first summit true):

June 6, 2008

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af7_1212773440

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, I don't know about that Bilderberg crap. I just hope I'm wrong about Obama dumping Biden. Better yet, maybe he'll ask and Hillary will tell him to fuck off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

LOL.

but yeah, I was dissapointed too. Everyone, including the McCain camp knew that there was no doubt that the Obama-Clinton ticket would have won the presidency by a landslide. They could have stopped campaigning as soon as Obama elected Hillary, because there was just no way to beat them. But Obama goes and picks Biden and lets the momentum shift back to the GOP. It was dumb move and Obama should of just went for the kill and chose Clinton.

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Oh for pete's sake.
    How can you just say, " nope, I want a new VP running mate. this one sucks"

As if the presidetial nomination wasn't bad enough for the Dem's image, this would be the final nail.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Distilled idiocy?

What's really curious is that, over in the discussion of that very issue, you are utterly unable to support that accusation. So this latest reiteration seems to be about what we have come to expect of you: blind recitation of talking points. Do you really believe that people are so stupid that if you keep saying it over and over again? Or do you just hope that it is so?

I don't see that admission.

Did you fail to quote it?

Hmm ... reading through the ABC article, I don't see it.

I would suggest that you develop a more refined sense of human sympathy. I mean this in a specific context. When you view the words or actions of someone else, it is helpful, before making a judgment assessment, or interpretation, to consider what those words or actions represent to that person. Not everybody experiences the world through your eyes and ears, or according to your perspective. Get used to this fact.

Anyone making a remotely honest consideration of the situation sees Biden playing two points: first, the appearance of humility, which is a card I wish politicians would play more often; second, he's—what's the phrase?—"reaching out" to Hillary Clinton's primary supporters, reaffirming respect the New York Senator deserves.

Actually, according to the blog you cited, Obama and McCain are attending a memorial ceremony in New York tomorrow, and the Democratic nominee will be having lunch with the former President.

Given that, in the wake of the convention, the three Democrats have a common goal, it seems as good a time as any for the players in a spectacular primary feud to sit down and figure out where they stand with one another.

Seriously, Madanthonywayne, will you please do me the honor of answering at least one question honestly: Did you intend your topic post as some sort of satire on the state of right wing media?

Because, if so, I confess I missed it until the very end—as in, when I wrote the sentence about sitting down to figure out where they stand with one another. And then, considering the rest of my post in general, it struck me how absolutely ridiculous your proposition is not only in general, but also according to your outlandish citations of sources that simply do not support your interpretations in any way whatsoever. It's an impressive distillation of idiocy you've offered us this time out. Above and beyond your standard fare of late.

And the thing is that I missed the possibility of satire because, of late, you have sharpened your knives and dulled your wit in a manner reminiscent of former years. Thus, I would find myself considering that the majority of your time here has been spent in a certain satirical mode that, drawn out over the period of your attendance, suggests a certain, unhealthy obsession. There are, for instance, other members who, if they one day came out and said, "Gotcha! I've been playing you guys the whole time!" I would be forced to applaud while suggesting they seek psychiatric help. So, you know, just think about it please.

I'm aware that it's election season in a presidential cycle, and a portentous one at that. Nonetheless, your act is even more disheveled than usual.

10. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

For once we agree. Biden was the worst pick imaginable. Nothing would make me happier then for Joe Biden to drop out for family/medical reasons, and let Barack select Hillary as a replacement. Maybe you're on to something. Because Obama is unleashing Slick Willie Starting Sept 29th! That's interesting since Clinton hates Obama.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Your interpretations are reasonable, and probably more likely than the interpretation I gave. The OP was simply discussing a rumor I'd heard.
    This is a rumor going around the right wing media. I thought it worthy of discussion. If you consider it too outlandish to be worthy of your consideration, fine. But, from a purely horserace perspective, part of the fun of discussing politics is trying to figure out what crazy thing the politicians are going to do next. I could see this happening. I never said it was a sure thing, or even likely. Just a possibility worthy of discussion in my opinion.
    It's election season. As a result, our differences (never small) are magnified to the point we can barely understand each other.
    Now you're getting it.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's the extremity of the idea

And I heard a rumor once that George Bush was an alien who had a secret love child by Elvis.

Okay. Stop. Right there. You have described the problem perfectly.

I have given it my consideration, and the proof would seem to be that you are responding to the produce of that consideration.

Well, right. You are correct insofar as that sentence goes. But we might also, in discussing college football, wonder when Joe Paterno is going to sprout wings out of his ass and lead us all to Shangri-La.

Were there some hint of a scandal or health problem that might force Biden from the race, the proposition would not be so absurd.

And I could see ... oh ... me winning the presidency some day.

What? It could happen. Don't ask me how, because I couldn't tell you. And if I invent a story, it would necessarily be at least as fanciful a speculation as you have provided here.

Indeed. But as I noted, this is above and beyond your usual fare. I just think you're really reaching on this one, to the point of dislocation.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Weekly World News?
    Should Obama decide Biden needs to go, the health problem or scandal will, conveniently, appear.

14. otheadp Banned Banned

More and more of Obama's real colour (green) is coming out. He's very intellectual about things... like a scholar, talking about abstract ideas and making himself sound like an expert. But when it comes to action, to decisions, he is f9cking terrible. His very first decision as a would-be C-in-C turned out to be the antithesis of his entire campaign: "change in washington". Biden is the ultimate Washington insider with over 30 years history there. And not only that, he didn't even bother considering the one person that would've given him even more force than he had only a few weeks ago... the one that had 18 million votes in the Dem primaries.

Talk about bad judgement, huh...

But damn, can he swoon sweet words at ya... I couldn't believe how many people cried during his speech at the Dem convention.

15. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Whether or not he had intended the comment to be a jab at Palin, he put his foot in his mouth by saying somethnig that could easily be interpreted as such, coming so soon after Palin's "pit bull with lipstick" joke at the GOP convention. Even if he didnt mean for it to be received that way, he should have realized the consequences that the statement would have. So it was an error in oversight - either he meant to allude to Palin but didnt anticipate the backlash, or he didnt mean for it to happen and just made a stupid mistake.

16. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Can he legally say disown his VP? Is it possible to change the ticket?

17. superstring01 Moderator

It is. There's two ways:

ONE: Do it now (better) and just reconvene the delegates, then RUSH LIKE HELL to get the right paperwork filed in all the states that matter (they probably wouldn't worry about Alaska or North Dakota, not that they won't try).

TWO: Wait until after he's elected. Joe steps down. Obama appoints Hillary. Get's approved by the House (or is it Senate?). This one kind of defeats the purpose of using her to win the election though.

~String

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Actually, it was a pretty good jab

Mocking lipstick so recently after the GOP cheered Sarah Palin's remarks that can, even more easily, be construed as calling "hockey moms" bitches is a pretty good jab. While there are certain risks of misunderstanding on some people's parts, and still more risks of fueling disingenuous attacks by others, we really do, as a culture, need to come to some sort of understanding about the limits one is expected to apply to oneself in deference to the stupid and the dishonest.

This is, in the end, just more conservative mockery of the idea of political correctness. It's part of a long trend that runs way back in our culture, at least to when white people became offended at the notion that it is impolite and self-denigrating to call a black person a nigger. After all, any civilization that demands civility is simply oppressive to those who cannot be themselves without being uncivil. At least, that's how the argument seems to go.

19. superstring01 Moderator

Hey! That news paper has the eighth highest circulation in the whole, wide world!!!

~String

20. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i dont think obama can drop Biden. it will do more harm then good.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

He is not going to drop Biden. He selected Biden to help him govern. Biden has been around Washington for a long time and knows how things work. He was not selected on the same criteria McCain used for his ticket. Obama never intended that Biden would help him win the election...as has been previously pointed out, Biden have never done well in national polling. Biden is there to help govern.

On the other hand, McCain had serious problems in the polling. His ability to get elected was in serious doubt. He selected Palin not because she could help him govern, but because she could help him get elected. And I think that is fairly obvious to anyone the least bit familar with the situation.

Go ahead, Mad and the rest of you Koolaid drinkers, enjoy your wet dreams. Your time is coming to an end.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Biden is awesome, he would have been my first or second choice for president. The Republicans have wrecked America, and all they can talk about is trivialities and wedge issues. I cannot wait until these idiots and thieves are gone from our government.

23. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i wouldnt pick Biden for a million bucks.