Resolution: Everyone should only be forced to work as much as they can work

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Betrayer0fHope, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

An incredibly genius person will have a much less hard time at accounting than another person who is less smart, why do we force him to work longer hours than the genius simply for the way he was born? Btw, I put resolution in the title so people wouldn't think that's what I thought, because I don't know what i think about it yet, and want to hear your opinions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

I have a hard time believing that a person who is "incredibly genius" would work in accounting.

Anyway, I don't think this is really a legitimate concern for workers. Honestly, how many geniuses are there? Not many. So if there was one at your job that was blowing the rest of you out the water, you can be fairly certain that he or she is the only one, and the rest of you are relative equals.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The bare minimum that anyone needs to do is to give back to civilization what they have taken from it, to maintain it, plus a tiny bit extra, to advance it.

If a person finds that he cannot accomplish that by exerting what he feels to be a reasonable effort, there are several possible reasons:
    • He's a lazy S.O.B.
    • He's unqualified for the work he's trying to do.
    • He's poorly supervised.
    • He's disabled, temporarily or permanently, physically or mentally.
    • The work he's trying to do does not contribute to civilization.
    There's a remedy for each of these conditions:
    • He needs to experience some hard times and understand how life works.
    • He needs more training, education, or to choose a different line of work.
    • He needs to work somewhere else, or at least for somebody else.
    • He (presumably) deserves charity.
    • Perhaps he's an artist who indirectly contributes to civilization, and he needs to go somewhere where people value art. Or he could be a bad artist, which falls under "choose a different line of work."
    But in any case, people need to earn their keep. If not, they end up with something like communism, which only works in very small communities where everyone feels a sense of kinship and obligation to everyone else.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I realize how similar to communism this is, but if someone is simply born smarter than someone else and he's a lazy S.O.B. and the other guy works his tail off, and the other guy has to work longer hours just to do the same work, and they both get the same pay, how is that fair?

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Of course it's fair (although who in their right mind believes life is fair anyway?) because you should be paid for what you prodouce.

And, by the way, are you really live in the U.S.? It doesn't sound like it because most people here get paid for the HOURS THEY WORK - not by how much/how little they produce.

9. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

If you have a deadline for writing some program, and you finish it, there's not much else you can do. Most of the time, you technically put in the same amount of hours, but it's definitely not the same amount of effort and in some cases not the same amount of time. The whole idea is that it's not fair to make people work harder simply because the way they were born, dumb.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

But that doesn't generally happen in this country, since most jobs are hourly, not production-based.

11. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Still, the effort part applies to this.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Let's just address one part of that for now. Who with a brain actually believes life can ever be fair???

And try to follow your own thinking for just a minute, OK? If we paid the "dumb" ones the same amount as the the smarter ones, can't you see that the smarter one ARE smart enough to start acting dumb so they won't have to work as much?

I'll bet you never even saw that one coming.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Balerion Banned Banned

So you're saying that a person who isn't good at their job shouldn't have to work harder than a person who is? That's ridiculous.

I used to work at UPS as a Supervisor, and they used to give the easiest jobs to the idiots...how the eff is that fair? We'd put in the same amount of hours, but the dumbasses, the lazy funks, they didn't have to work as hard as me, just because I was good at it. That is the real injustice, not the other way around.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Exactly right.

The problem is that's he's to young to be able to think it all the way through. I have three kids (all grown now) and each one of them went through the "That's not fair! stage. But they soon figured it out.

Betrayer, if you read this, let's take a much closer look at your programming example.

Let's say I own a software company and Bill, Bob, Mary and Alice work for me as programmers. Bill, Mary and Alice can each turn out about 10,000 lines of good, workable code per day. But Bob, working as hard as he can, writes only 3,000. Should he really be paid as much as the other three? If I try that, there's a good chance that any or all three of them might quit.

15. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

No one should be forced to do anything. They should work because they want to live.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

Thanks, Read.

And man, let me tell you what...having OilIsMastery on my ignore list is AWESOME. I have no idea what he/she just said...and I feel great!

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Really? Those without the needed brainpower should get the lower-paying jobs. And in the VAST majority of cases they do.

Seriously - do you not yet realize that effort alone counts for exactly nothing to an employeer? - only RESULTS matter.

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You're quite welcome.

And yes, isn't the silence refreshing!?!?! Gotta love it!!!!

19. Balerion Banned Banned

Have you hopped on the "ignore Oil" train? Read, I'm telling you, it's wonderful!

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I think everyone should give back as much as they have taken, and receive as much as they give.

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

One of my profs tryed to make this point by grading the tests based only on getting the correct answer. This was in Geometric Optics and almost every question required half a page of calculations. Mess up one sign or decimal place, and you're screwed. So most college profs will grade based upon what you did. If they checked your work and saw that you did everything right but screwed up one step, you'd get most of the points for that problem.

But not this guy, He said, "In real life, no one gives a shit about how you did it, they care whether or not you get the correct answer." So every question was an all or nothing deal. Sometimes a test might have 4 questions, make 2 mistakes and you've got an F (yeah, he graded on a straight scale, too).

Rest assured, I was damned careful when taking those tests. I ended up with an A, and a new respect for details.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And the moral of that story is quite clear: tough going but worth it in the end.

In real life, "close" only counts in horseshoes and hand gernades - and both of them have to be REALLY close to count!

23. Balerion Banned Banned

Hand grenades don't have to be that close...