Which political figure do you most closely identify with politically?

Discussion in 'History' started by Norsefire, Sep 6, 2008.

?

Which political figure do you ideologically fit with?

1. Karl Marx

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Adolf Hitler

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Mike Huckabee

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Bill Clinton

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. the Papacy or other religious leaders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

i.e, which of the following political figures shares your types of politics, etc?

You may not want to choose, for instance, Hitler, simply because it would be "inappropriate", but remember, this is simply for political viewpoints, not necessarily the actual history. So choose whoever fits your ideology.

I'll try to be as broad as possible, mods feel free to add more options if you feel the need

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

8. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I voted Marx, because I didn't know we could choose our own. And to be honest, I completely forget what he stood for

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. All I remember is when I was 'round 12 all my teachers said I was like him.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

marx was a social theorist who belived that sociaty was built on worker exploitation

i belive he was also the first comunist

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

No, Asguard, they were talking about Groucho Marx, not Karl.

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It's one of the ironies of American history that when the Pilgrims first arrived at Plymouth rock they promptly set about creating a communist society. Of course, they were soon starving to death.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what are you talking about, it says KARL marx's on the poll list not whoever groucho is

13. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Groucho Marx was an American actor/comedian from the late 1800s I think

Anyway, the political figure I identify with most is probably William McKinley. Also Duncan Hunter and John McCain (more recently).

14. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Also Norsefire those choices are terrible, not a single one of them is right for me, I just picked Huckabee cause hes the closest, I cant stand Marx, Hitler or Clinton, and the Papacy is just not that great. Especially since Im not Catholic.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

if i HAD to chose one out of the list i would pick clintion, though Karl marx was quite right as a theorist it was just the implimentation which sucked

16. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

He was from the 20th century, early to mid, in fact. He and the other Marx Brithers were in films from the 1920s to almost 1960. He's the man who came up with lines like:

"A man is only as old as the woman he feels."

"If I held you any closer I would be on the other side of you."

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

"Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?"

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and fetch me a four-year-old child, because I can't make head nor tail out of it."

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."

and

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted."

Personally, I hate old comedians. Bob Hope, for example, was never funny. He never even made me smile or consider smiling. But Groucho Marx was funny. Duck Soup, at least, was a classic.

17. superstring01 Moderator

I voted "Bill Clinton" who, for the most part (when compared to the others) I can affiliate with. Fiscally conservative. Socially liberal. He was flawed, but for the most part, ran a pretty good show.

~String

18. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

As for my own political figure, not a single one of the ones above is a good fit. In fact, I can't think of any that are a good fit. I think I'd probably have to say Steven Brams (of NYU) more than any other single figure, though even he isn't, by himself, a major influence.

To pick more well known figures, I consider myself the product of David Hume, William Blackstone, John Locke, Montesquieu (though we are all the product of Montesquieu, save perhaps Norsefire), Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, Ronald Reagan, Ronald Dworkin, Martin Luther King, Jr., Bill Clinton, Dick "Dick" Nixon (mostly in a negative way), John Maynard Keynes and Friederick von Hayek.

The influence of Marx is complicated. Marx really triggered the birth of modern economics, and in that sense he was a huge influence on most everyone. Without Marx to react against, it's hard to say what would have become of Karl Menger and Leon Walras.

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You should have some leaders at least from the early (modern) republics days. Robespierre, Founding Fathers of the U.S, Perhaps even Napoleon rather than Hitler(face it Hitler was a fucking idiot - did not have a chance - completely abandoning politics for complete warfare with far too many enemies).

In recent history - I go with Thomas Jefferson. Mastercraft statesman.

20. CheskiChips Banned Banned

דוויד המלך and אהרון הכוהן גדול

21. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

What? Politically, Hitler was a genuis.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

None of those you have stated are near my thoughts. Why don't you have "none" included in your poll?:shrug:

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I tried to be broad. Marx and Hitler were the extreme left/right, and Huckabee represents the conservatives, and Bill the liberals, and the theocrats represented by the Papacy