Is it possible...?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Gryzalazar, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Gryzalazar Registered Member

Ok so I am not a fantasy obsessed freak, BUT I would like to know other peoples opinions on the concept of "magic"... There are so many legends and tales of such powers in great detail that I find it hard to believe it didn't exist at one time or another...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I think everything is possible.

The million dollar question is; what makes things real?

If you find out the answer you could perceivably do anything imaginable (with more or less effort of course).

The solution might be harmony with the world in some way. If little things you do harmonise in the correct way, big things can happen somewhere else...but I guess you would have to know something about how all the world looks like in a given moment and how the actions you do affect the world.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I would suggest that if a man appeared to you from 300 years forward in time and displayed a piece of technology and it's use it would seem to be "magic"

Think back to 1708. You approach average Joe Farmer. You say,"hello. this is a flashlight. It will project light in the darkness for a finite period of time." I suggest he would flip out of his gourd, possibly accusing you of witchcraft. Same idea.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Yep, I think so too.

But I do think that there are other less technical ways of achieving magical things. The only criteria is that no one knows how you do it. There's always a way though.

8. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Why do you think we see stone image carvings of flying saucers and various other high tech stuff in many different ancient civilizations?

Theres your magic.

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the forums, also...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess perhaps Enmos beat me to it, but he called you Dryz so that doesn't count...

10. Gryzalazar Registered Member

...Lol... Thanks!

...I think...

11. Roman Banned Banned

Voodoo is real to Haitians. You should read Serpent and the Rainbow. It's a true story about zombies.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  12. orcot Valued Senior Member

I'm using magic right know to talk to you. Tell me how do you think someone from 50 000 years ago would react to our technology?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Entymology - c.1384, "art of influencing events and producing marvels," from Old French magique, from Latin magice "sorcery, magic," from Greeek magike (presumably with tekhne "art"), feminine of magikos "magical," from magos "one of the members of the learned and priestly class," from Old ...
    www.bol.sapphiremoon.info/glossary.php

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of impossible or supernatural feats, using purely natural means. These feats are called magic tricks, effects or illusions.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic (illusion)

Magic, sometimes known as sorcery, is a conceptual system that asserts human ability to control the natural world (including events, objects, people, and physical phenomena) through mystical, paranormal or supernatural means. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic (paranormal)

In occult terminology, a mastery of occult forces and the hidden mysteries of nature. White Magic is that exercised for a beneficent, helpful purpose; Black Magic, the abuse of super-normal powers when applied to a selfish end. ...
    www.zaytsev.com/Devore/m.html

the art of entertaining an audience by performing illusions that baffle and amaze, often by giving the impression that something impossible has been achieved, almost as if the performer had magic or supernatural powers. Yet, this illusion of magic is created entirely by natural means. ...
    www.magicianschool.com/terminology.php

14. Gryzalazar Registered Member

Orcot, I am talking about the stereotypical meaning of magic with all the fireballs, dark rituals, and stuff like that...

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Humans excel at several things:

one is wishing things would be other than they actually are. (If only I could flap my arms and fly to work instead of sitting in a traffic jam... What if...?)

the other is finding (or making up) explanations for things not understood

We're all human and all have the same basic "wiring", which explains similarities between the legends (which were mixes of wish-fulfilment and incorrect explanation).

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Oli, perhaps, but we Humans can also get to work on making it so. If you want to snap your fingers to get to work, work on the technology and research of how to do so!

Who knows, in a thousand years or so, that might be the case.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

But the technology isn't possible unless all of science is wrong...

18. Gryzalazar Registered Member

Hmmmmmmm