Is it ethical for a government to pay for favorable press coverage as W has done?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by joepistole, Aug 15, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

What the fuck ?

It's unethical unless it is clearly stated, (like an ad), This article is sponsored by such and such

Yes, Otherwise the press could be bought, and any opposition run bankrupt (like the UK's independent, who launched an appeal not too long ago).

Seriously, I thought we were bad with having a media ogliopoly, but you guys, take it all the way don't you ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

I haven't read the two articles but something I've noticed US government do (not sure about others) is say that in the present circumstances rules need to be bent, such as in a time of war. Mind you I am not saying it is necessarily wrong, the public doesn't know everything and everything can not be explained. Think back to the War Ministry, or even the fact the the US president can begin a war without approval from Congress if the situation requires it.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

another good question
    heres a further one, should goverment advertising be used to push unfavorable policies
    this came up because of the work choices advertising. the Union movement, the labor party were all runing self fundeded advertising against work choices, the federal liberal goverment used goverment advertising to push it. was that a correct use of goverment funds?

9. 007 Registered Member

an even better ? r goverments ethical? lol

10. 007 Registered Member

my thougths r they just compete, win, rule and live off of the rest of us and have little to do with ethics.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

wow i love this, im currently doing my readings for just health and the speach im currently reading is about the rule of law as it aplies to the excutive and judical branches of goverment.

I wont quote the speach because its quite long but i will link it
    http://www.hcourt.gov.au/speeches/cj/cj_ruleoflaw.htm

i will note one thing which came up in another discussion about the power of the US president and imunity to procution. To quote justice GLEESON (the chief justice of the high court),

ie no imunity for anyone against procution

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Dear <insert supreme diety here>, Seriously, This shit is considered normal ? I thought you had paid pundits and adverts, Now you have to pay columnists as well ?
    Aren't columnists meant to have their own opinion ?