Georgian Jounalist Shot Live on Camera

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 15, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

Wait, was that an actual sniper bullet, or merely a rubber deterrent? Either way, it seems only to have grazed her.

She's lucky.

Kadark

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Politkovskaya wasn't so lucky. She was shot in the back of the head on Tsar Putin's birthday as a present to him.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Russians? Use use rubber deterrents? Bwhahahaha!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

She thinks it is probably a light weapon and a sniper.
    I wouldn't expect a sniper to miss like that on a standing target.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

She may have been in shock.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Prediction: the shootings - fatal or not - of Georgian journalists by Russians or Russian allied militia will each receive at least twice the press coverage in the US as the sum total of the coverage of all the Iraqi journalist shootings by the US or US allied militia, Colombian journalist shootings by the US or US allied militia, or Palestinian journalist shootings by Israel or Israeli allied militia.

11. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Yeah. Even though the wound looks very small and superficial, the shock of impact undoubtedly caused trauma to the nerves around the impact area. When a bullet passes through tissue, it has a bow wave, like a boat traveling across a lake. That wave propagates outward and creates an area of transient compression that dissipates immediately afterward, called a shock channel. The shock channel is roughly aligned with the wound channel, but is always larger. Several years ago I got shot in my right tricep about 5cm above the elbow. The bullet itself tunneled its way across the outside of my arm, exiting next to the lower bicep, but its shock channel penetrated deep enough to hit my ulnar nerve (the large unprotected one that tingles when you hit your funnybone). Instead of tingling, my arm was partially paralyzed below the elbow Bob Dole style and gradually recovered its function over the next several hours, as the inflammation subsided. There wasn't any pain until function began to return either.

See also: Hydrostatic shock.

12. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

that sounds painful

13. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It is, I have been hit in the Knee, first it felt like someone hit me with a sledge hammer, then it went numb, then as the feeling returned it hurt like hell.

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

look at the bright side. you took it like a man and you got to keep your knee. there are those who lost their legs.

15. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I find it hard to believe a sniper decided to take a pot shot at a reporter and missed. Maybe the grazing was intentional? What purpose would it serve, just bullying and intimidation?

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Sad to say so do I, and also I know those who lost their lives, yes I was very lucky.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It is amazing just how effective bully and intimidation is, the Russian have a long list of victim's starting from the beginning of Communist Rule to today, Yes they now call themselves Russian Federation, but the People in Power are still the old line Communist, nothing has changed.

18. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I think with Putin there was a shift back to the old. Not good. There needs to be a tremendous amount of international pressure put on Russia now, or we will face consequences. It needs to mainly come from non-US as the last thing we need is another cold war like standoff.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yup, absolutely. Only scientists are interested in the lesser reported [sarcasm] "atrocities" [/sarcasm]

20. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

From Europe? :roflmao: what are they going to do?

They have been hiding under the U.S. protection Umbrella since 1946.

They also are dependent on oil from Russia for their economies.

Besides they have proven time and again they don't have the balls to object to anything.

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

those russians are just ass holes. they bombed another country for no reason. talk about a back step.

22. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

It hurt like a six headed bitch for about half a day more, but by then I could move it enough to do my job, so at the moment it was worth it. Also, sweet merciful crap nothing will ever top having a battlefield chest tube placed sans morphine. I'd rather shit out a barnacle-encrusted railroad spike.

Nice...can you still get MRIs?

23. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I dunno buffalo. Germany was talking today. Then again, Germany and Russia have an illustrious past with millions dead. May be the last thing we want.