Childhood Dreams

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Eidolan, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

Some people talk a lot about how you should follow your childhood dreams or how you should follow your dreams. What are they talking about?

This is depressing to me because I either didn't have dreams as a child, or I can't remember them. I have a pretty good memory, so I'm guessing that I just didn't have dreams. By dreams I mean aspirations for when you become an adult, not literal dreams that you have while you sleep.

Did you have dreams as a child, and have you lived out any of those dreams or are you trying to? Do you think dreams are important, or has the adult world destroyed your soul and turned you into a world-hating cynic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A feeling more than anything else - a thirst for adventures with a mythical feeling, like in folk tales, and yes, I think I'm following that feeling quite much.
    As my saying goes - Don't forget yourself, the dream is now!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The dreams I had as a child are not do-able. There is no way I was born with the talent to become a world class ballet dancer or opera singer. That doesn't stop me from dancing or singing though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It has been shown that even though we can't remember our dreams, we still have them. So even if you can't remember any dream, you were having them only you just didn't retain them.

8. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

I believe this phrase is to be taken metaphorically. If we all followed our childhood dreams, wouldn't we be living in the safest place on Earth with all the policemen and firefighters? Oh and not to mention the leaps in space exploration with the couple million astronauts or so. This just in, our first exploratory human colony is landing on Mars. (Just finished rereading "Shadow of the Giant" from the Ender Saga heh) Oh and to answer your question after going on such a tangent, I don't believe I had any real childhood dreams that I can clearly remember. This is not to say dreams are not important, I find them actually really important, at times they are the exact things that "push" us in our lives and make us think differently and outside the box.

9. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

If you interview children and you ask them, what do you want to be when you
    grow up, some will say I want to be a president, or superman, or batman, or
    ninja, or movie star. Childhood dreams know no bound. They don't know reality
    yet, so they believe in whatever they wish. Imo, the phrase hence means you
    should not be happy with mediocrity, set your dream as high as you can for
    you only live once. Ask BG14, she wants to rule the world under America.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!