Gay blood ban 'discrimination'

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Asguard, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my partner was quite insulted by the question when she went in to give blood recently, there is a gay guy at her work who couldnt give blood even though he and his partner have been in an exclusive relationship for longer than PB and i have been. It will be interesting to see what happens with this case

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's only a safety measure to ensure no contamination

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

My understanding is that this precaution actually does not do much to enhance the safety of the blood supply. It may have, back when it took months to run an AIDS test, now it's only here because of people's resistance to change. In fact, the new tests are supposed to be so effective, that the net effect of the ban is a loss to society, because we need as much blood as we can cajole people into donating.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I dont know the specifics of the OP but i can tell you this with certainty. When the AIDS virus first appeared in U.S there were liberal groups that blocked testing for the virus because it discriminated to test AT RISK PEOPLE.

Blocking the testing of a communicable disease of the ones it, at the time, was specifically targeting. We could have gotten a handle on it but 100s of thousands\millkions of people died because people feelings might get hurt. Of course there was the prospect of lawsuits as motivation.

Even fought the closing of bath houses which were just places to have high risk sex and of cvourse an incubator for the virus.

And the rest is history. Of course you cannot blame gay people for this because i would guess that most of the people fighting the testing were not even gay.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why was she insulted?
    Has there been in increase in AIDS in Australia?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

she was insulted because the guy who was blocked from giving blood was her friend and there was no more risk of him being HIV positive than there was her. It is a clear case of discrimination because the test stupidly doesnt ask about risky HEDROSEXUAL bahavor but assumes all samesex sex is risky.

As for wether the rates of infection have increased i dont know. That question isnt new it was there when i went to give blood 5 years ago (i actually cant give blood because my blood pressure is to low)

I will try to find the infection rates for you

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If you put gay blood into people does it turn them gay?

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yes, yes it does. Its all part of the gay agenda.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'm simply asking.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't know what scares me more, that gay blood or black blood. Have you ever considered that. I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in an accident and need blood, refuse it. With you're luck, you'd get gay black blood, and then what would you do?! Again, REFUSE any and all blood transfusions.
    please.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why?

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, wouldn't you rather be dead than gay?

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes but what do black people have to do with anything? Are you racist?:shrug:

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Well, if gay people have gay blood, don't you think each race has its own blood? Wouldn't that make sense? And if gay people have gay blood, wouldn't men have male blood, and women have female blood?

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No.......

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

but....but, that makes sense, so why woudl tehy think that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you're gay, they can't take your blood, but if your a crack whore, they can. :bugeye: WTHell!? Now I'm upset.

Is your blood donation program gvmt run?

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thanks orleander

nice to see some people have a brain in there head

i must say thank you to norsefire too, you gave me all sorts of examples for my proposal to fix section 5 of the site rules

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What do you mean?

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm dont know but it doesnt matter either way, the antidiscrimination act doesnt just cover goverment here, it covers EVERYONE (except private schools in NSW and the ACT). As i said it will be interesting to see what comes out of the case

on your crack case though have you taken IV drugs or have you got a tat in the last 12 months are also questions on the test which exclude you from giving blood. In the case of tat's after 12 months your fine however and in the case of drug adicts they do have a tendancy to share neddles. It was the fact that they dont even ask about hedrosexual sexual behavor or even homosexual sexual behavor for that matter. They just assume hedrosexual means one partner and homosexual means lots of partners with no condoms

edit to add, this post was aimed at orleanders post 16

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then I guess you answered your own completely-lacking-a-shred-of-common-sense question haven't you.