Thread: Muslim Experience in America

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.M. View Post
    Like the Jews in Warsaw? Nope. Not yet occupied or in concentration camps.
    So...you really feel good about that statement or what?

Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Looks like more plagiarism to me.

Oh look it is! Charles Kurzman, unless you are he.

http://www.unc.edu/~kurzman/whospeaks.htm

And what does the first line say?

There you go. Islam is not a stratified monolith. So if you want an apology for terrorism, ask the terrorists. Preferably the ones you vote for.

As Kurzman says:

So there
    Much like the Catholic Church in the dark ages, the Quran is written in a language that is not readable by the mass of the adherents to Islam, so they are dependent on their Imam, and Ayatollah's, and those seem to be self appointed.

Yes SAM,
    Pearls thrown before the swine, you still can't answer, can you.

Now the Catholic Church was much the same before the reformation, and it took the Reformation to Change the Catholic Church, that began in 1517, though its roots lie further back in time. It began with Martin Luther and may be considered to have ended with the Peace of Westphalia in 1648.

So were is Islams Peace?
    Last edited by Buffalo Roam; 08-20-08 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondHearts View Post
    Apparently there is a city named Dearborn in Michigan which has almost 50% Muslim population, I have never been there but I heard it is very nice. I plan to visit Dearborn sometime in the future.
    I lived about 1 hour from Dearborn MI. It's certainly not 50% Muslim but there are a lot of Muslims there. Almost all are very Americanized and very patriotic. Many supported the wars and many still do.

Something to think about,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Roam View Post
    Much like the Catholic Church in the dark ages, the Quran is written in a language that is not readable by the mass of the adherents to Islam, so they are dependent on their Imam, and Ayatollah's, and those seem to be self appointed.

Yes SAM,
    Pearls thrown before the swine, you still can't answer, can you.

Now the Catholic Church was much the same before the reformation, and it took the Reformation to Change the Catholic Church, that began in 1517, though its roots lie further back in time. It began with Martin Luther and may be considered to have ended with the Peace of Westphalia in 1648.

So were is Islams Peace?

The Catholic church is busy poking the bums of ten year olds. That their piece of peace.

Islam is the only religion which erases this problem from humankind.
    Even in your very own post, with your very own words and you still just don't get it do you?

Registered Senior Member DiamondHearts's Avatar
    Apparently Dearborn's population is 30% [approx 30,000] Arab American in 2000 [Wikipedia: Dearborn, MI]. It doesn't state religious demographics. I would imagine the Muslim population is a higher percentage than this as it includes African Americans, South Asians, Southeast Asians, Africans, Turks, etc. Does anyone have a source for that?

As far as my belief, I believe Islam is the only religion that erases the race problem from mankind. This is the reason why I'm Muslim. I don't really care if anyone disagrees with me, I didn't ask anyone's approval for believing as I do.

The Catholic church is busy poking the bums of ten year olds. That their piece of peace.
    And I have no problem denouncing those Priest, (of the Catholic Church, who commit these act), for doing so.

Now, Do you denounce those of Islam who commit the sexual molestation of children.

Or are you going to continue the use of Loaded to avoid looking at Islam and it's record on the same subject?

SAM Loaded Question/Statement AVOIDANCE Alert!

This thread isn't about Catholics or validity of certain religions. Stay on topic.

This thread isn't about Catholics or validity of certain religions. Stay on topic.

Then WHY DID SAM BRING it up?

Now why didn't you bring this up to SAM when she posted all of these off subject and loaded questions and statement?

Oh so its alright to sodomize the kids of Iraqis because the Muslims in America have it so good?

Tell me, why does the US never ever support an elected government in Pakistan?

Why does it give so much money and arms to dictators?
    How many dead Muslims due to US? Oh wait. We don't do body counts. nuff said.
    Worldwide. You can start with Iran circa 1952.
    Can you name one person the Indian government has kidnapped in a foreign country and ourtsourced for torture?
    Let me guess, this is from the media that supports a dictator in Pakistan and ignores the one million Hindu Indian Kashmiris who have been displaced by terrorists armed and funded by Americans [aka mujahideen]. hehe

So they haven't taken a bite out of another country to open a torture prison? Have they discarded habeas corpus? Are they kidnapping foreign citizens in foreign countries and torturing them?
    When you come to India, you should eat barfi, mishti doi, gulab jamun and ras malai.

For caramel go to England.
    Heh, any "news" from these esteemed organisations on the US tossing out habeas corpus and running concentration camps? The occupation of two sovereign countries? The CIA death squads? The sodomy of ten year olds? The deaths by torture?
    You did not provide a source. Again.

1. Arbitrary suspension of habeas corpus is not a a Presidential directive

2. This was following the assassination of the Prime Minister and widespread riots in Punjab. It was a state of civil war.

There were lots of atrocities on both sides but they were resolved by diplomacy and we now have a Sikh Prime Minister. There was a HUGE uproar in the media, the Supreme court heard both sides of the issue and handed out appropriate punishments.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalistan_movement

Now tell me what the US goverment has done for its atrocities worldwide.
    I read it, and I told you the result.

Now tell me what the US government and the American people have done about US atrocities worldwide
    So its in the best interest of the United States to occupy foreign countries, kidnap foreign citizens and have torture centers.

The investigations are bogus, they have done nothing about public declarations of war atrocities, deaths in custody, sodomy of children and boiling of skulls.

Didn't the US hold Nuremberg trials for people who thought like that?

pwnd!
    Typical Moslem:

"pwnd" origins is in the word, "owned", as in a sense of dominance or superiority (akin to a master being superior to the slave),

If anyone has anything to say about Muslims in America, then please post something. Otherwise start your own thread.

We've recently watched something of a political shift in the USA, and I'm interested in a progress report on whether this is influencing our relations:

Is there any perceptible change in general acceptance of Muslims in the USA (from the perspective of Muslims here)?

Not so much among friends (where bias and ignorance are frequently overcome) and not in the most public venues (where bias and ignorance are overlooked).

I'm mostly interested in the personal-acquaintances aspect.

I expect that those of you who come and go from the USA might have the keenest sense of it- Is there any perceptible change in the trend of our general respect for Islam and Muslims in the USA?

The trend is towards more acceptance. Quickly changed by terrorist attacks greatly being publicized.

I'm most interested here in the impressions that Muslims have (begging your pardon if you have accepted Islam, CC). In any case, thanks for reminding me that it isn't obvious or important for most mere acquaintances, whether one is meeting a Muslim or not. Still, I'm interested to know if there is any change in perceptible vibe in the USA from the perspective of Muslims.
    Last edited by hypewaders; 11-30-08 at 10:26 PM.

Just mentioning. Because I saw a kid performing at a Christmas event out here, his parents standing right off stage in full Muslim garb as they announced "Kaddish r'Amen", no one thought it was strange. I found it somewhat strange that only the Jews noticed a Muslim was playing Christmas music for Christians.

That's good, a Muslim kid accepted in some Christmas cheer. In the Mideast, many Muslims used to give my (Christian) family Christmas greetings.

But only the Jews noticed a Muslim was participating? I'm curious how it seemed uniquely evident for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hypewaders View Post
    But only the Jews noticed a Muslim was participating? I'm curious how it seemed uniquely evident for them.
    Most Christians don't know semitic languages...they couldn't recognize the word "Kaddish" or "r'Amen". Even I am confused about the last name. I don't know the prefix 'r' (I assume it's translated "To be faithful") and I am almost sure his name couldn't be "Rah-men" which means "Evil from" or "From Seeing"...dependent on the spelling.

I know I'd be an unreliable USAmerican to gauge perceptions by- I really don't know what a Muslim "looks" like- some hijab (especially Asian) doesn't strike me as distinctly Muslim, unless it's particular clothes I've seen in the Mideast. When I see hijab where I live now, they're usually Amish, and doubtfully Muslim. But you never know

Again this refines my question to Muslims- knowing that it isn't by appearance that Muslims mostly announce their belief (and knowing most Muslims don't casually broadcast their religion) I'm still interested in how Muslims perceive themselves being perceived in the USA lately.

It just occurred to me how I may have gotten accustomed to, or even weirdly presumptive of "stealth" Muslims: When I grew up in Beirut, most people were careful not to broadcast their religious orientation while moving around the city (during the war).

Stealth Muslims. They could be anywhere

Maybe I should just put on an ubaya (got one in our closet!) and walk around town- do my own research. Surely that's no more wicked than the women I knew in Saudi, who would dress up like Saudi men, in order to drive into town. An ARAMCO gate guard once critiqued a friend's disguise: "Blease, take off your ear-rings, Mrs E--". Stealth Mommas in ghutras and thobes