Guantanamo Prison .

Discussion in 'World Events' started by mike47, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike47 Banned Banned

In a world of civil and military courts , I see no need for a place like Guantanamo Bay prison . People over there are kept for years with no trials and in limbo . In Oklohoma bombing , people were tried and convicted by a judge and a jury . All around the world people should be tried by a judge and jury and either to be found guilty or innocent . Courts are there to decide legal issues and not the governments . So in a land of civil and military courts , there is absolutely no need to a place like Guantanamo Bay Prison .
    What do you think ?.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

That you need more education, like a 4 year tour of far away places.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

James R., for all his bitching, refuses to put the detainees up at his place. We don't want to put them up at ours either.

Nobody good wants to take them off our hands. Are you, and James R., saying that we should have killed them on the battlefield and spared us all the inconvenience?

'cause if you're saying we should put them us at our place, you're going to be disappointed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's designed to circumvent our law, and it should be closed as a detention camp, especially since the Supreme Court affirmed the fact that it is not beyond the jurisdiction of American law.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

100% agreement.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Citation please?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

spidergoat i found the line about the supreem court dogeing issues about its own juristiction as strange from an australian context.

Rather than the political restraining the judicial in australia its the other way around. The high court is "god" in the australian sence and there has never been (as far as i know) and i HIGHLY doubt there ever will be a case where the goverment or even the parliment says to the high court "you do not have the right to oversite this legislation".

Less than a month ago the federal court struck down a set of regulations because they felt the terms set in them were just to broud to be aceptable under the australian constitution

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As I recall, you're the one who is usually baying for blood. I have never suggested killing your Guantanamo detainees.

What I'd like to see is them being giving a fair trial. You know - like the one you'd want if you were arrested as a suspect for committing a crime.

I can only conclude from your position on this, either (a) you believe all Guantanamo detainees are automatically guilty (i.e. you've prejudged and convicted them already in your own mind), or (b) you're racist and think that some people do not deserve the same rights you want for yourself, purely on the basis of race or perhaps nationality, or (c) you so distrust the domestic American judicial system that you're afraid that these people you fear would get off scott free if you exposed them to it, or (d) you suspect that there isn't really enough evidence in many of these cases, but your hatred wants these people dealt with one way or another, regardless of their guilt or innocence.

Which is it?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

An interesting quote from the court's opinion:

“[T]he practice of arbitrary imprisonments, have been,
    in all ages, the favorite and most formidable instruments
    of tyranny. The observations of the judicious
    Blackstone . . . are well worthy of recital: ‘To bereave
    a man of life . . . or by violence to confiscate his estate,
    without accusation or trial, would be so gross and notorious
    an act of despotism as must at once convey the
    alarm of tyranny throughout the whole nation; but
    confinement of the person, by secretly hurrying him to
    jail, where his sufferings are unknown or forgotten, is
    a less public, a less striking, and therefore a more
    dangerous engine of arbitrary government.’

Alexander Hamilton The Federalist No. 84

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Now just what did they rule?

No prisoners have been released, and no order for their release has been issued.

No cases have been forwarded to any court.

So exactly, what is the scope and reach of the decision?

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing, now what has the decision rendered?

18. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The prisoners have the right of Habeas Corpus, just as if they were imprisoned on the US mainland.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

By the way, apparently a hand-picked military jury of 6 is right now deliberating on the case of Hamden, Osama bin Laden's former driver.

Hamden, as you'll recall, was the guy who originally challenged the military commissions system and had his case upheld by the Supreme Court. Then the administration legislated to legitimise the system...

The outcome will be interesting.

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And it proves what? They have been cleared, and proven not to be EC, now exactly where should we send them?

They are no longer prisoners, but were do they belong? Why won't they return to their country of origin?

That is their option, but they refuse to go, why?

Because they believe, that to return to their Moslem Countries of origin, just might not be conducive to their staying alive?

And again what is your point? With out U.S. medical attention he would be dead, and this attention came right after a fire fight, were he took part, looks like they gave him great medical attention, and he appears to be well fed and healthy.

We were no longer holding them as prisoners, as soon as they had a place to go they were gone.

Maybe you should educat your self, if they are no longer judged to be enemy combatants, they are no longer prisoners.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What about Osama bin Ladens cook? barber? gardener? pedicurist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.