Will W initiate military action against Iran before leaving office?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Aug 3, 2008.

?

Will George Jr. take military action against Iran before leaving office?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2008.
  1. He will.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. He will not.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. He will if Obama wins

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. He will if McCain wins

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

In listening to the news this morning, the Israeli minister seemed prety intent on attacking Iran to prevent them from acquiring nuclear weapons. And it seems that there is little time left to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons.

So it just occurred to me that it would be entirely likely that George Jr. would as one of his last official acts initate military action against Iran to prevent that from occuring. How likely do you think it is that W would initiate such an action before leaving office. He would not have to pick up the pieces. He could do it and just leave the next president to clean up the mess, along with the other messes. With so many messes, what is one more mess?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you find it even slightly hypocritical that teh US is signing a nuclear deal with India who is not a signatory to NPT and is ready to attack Iran, who is? When India already has nuclear weapons and Iran does not?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

I hope so. first time in my life i am actually pro for a preemptive strike. do i think it will solve the problem? god only knows, but as of right now, it is the only solution.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

if they invaded Israel instead, it would actually solve the problems in the ME.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The difference is India has not threatened Israel. The US also has a lot of money invested in India.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Israel lobby, according to Israeli activists is almost 90% in favour of attacking Iran.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it is a pretty good bet that between November 5, 2008 and January 20, 2009 Bush will attack Iran. He won't attack before November 5 because of the adverse impact on the election. It could cause the Republicans to loose. But between November 5 and his last day in office, he could be a very dangerous man.

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Without congressional authority?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

He is the comander and chief...he does not need congressional approval to attack anyone at any time per the administrations own publications.

http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/warpowers925.htm

13. world_events Registered Senior Member

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It will be fun. Iran will mine the Strait of Hormuz and attack oil tankers. Oil will go up to [minimum] 400 dollars. They are screwed anyway and they will not go down quietly. Israel's popularity will increase exponentially in the oil rich ME.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...on/2494956/Lebanon-Right-to-fight-Israel.html

Oh yes, it will be fun.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think the US Navy can handle anything Iran tries to do in the straits. But I do expect a quick, bungled strike in Iran by Bush Jr. before he leaves office.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How will the US Navy deal with mines? A missile strike on an oil tanker? If they are going to bomb Iran anyway, you can be sure the Republican Guards, who are very Hezbollah like, will make them pay.

Besides, there are 6 million Iranians in the US, it would be inviting more trouble.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, fat lot of good that did on 9/11. They have to get only one tanker and all the tankers insurances will be cancelled immediately. Even if the Straits remain open [which is highly unlikely]

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well you know SAM, the things that crashed into the World Trade Center were not missles and were not mines. They were civilian jet liners that had been hijacked.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Exactly. What makes you think they will do what is expected? For all you know, they already have a system in place.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If you are suggesting more planes might be hijacked as a result of Bush Junior attacking Iran, perhaps. I was noting that the threat of effective reprisals in the gulf via naval attacks was almost nill. If I were on the other side, I would not challenge the US Navy. So if Iran chose to recriporcate I would think they would look at other alternatives. But they have no good alternatives in reality...other than to continue to forment unrest in Iraq.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think they will particularly care about consequences once they are attacked. Don't confuse the Persians with the Iraqis.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That depends on who wins the election. If Obama wins, the US or Isreal or both will attack Iran before he takes office. If McCain wins, the Bush administration and the Israelis won't feel pressured to act so quickly.

So a vote for Obama is a vote for an attack on Iran between Novembert and January.