Should journalists be punished for lying to the public ?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Challenger78, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

We punish politicians for not scrutinizing their sources.
    So, if a journalist runs a false story, and doesn't bother to correct it, shouldn't they be punished ?

e.g. Judith miller.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Fox news would run out of journos pretty fast....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

yupper.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is why you should NEVER EVER take anything that the media tells you as the truth. ALWAYS be sceptically and question whatever they say for they only want to get people excited and spread lies around to stir the pot. They even start rumors themselves so remember that as well. Verify everything that you read before you make any judgments about anything.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Maybe a professional organization, like the lawyers and doctors have, could handle something like that.

As far as deliberate deception, civil damages are already enforceable - the NYT could have sued Miller, for example, rather than letting her go for the publicity and promoting her partner in those articles to head of the foreign news bureau or something like that.

Fox, the technically injured party, could sue its "journalists" rather than paying them big bucks for their skill at producing Fox's desired product - namely, an audience receptive to advertising.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

I believe they should be sentenced to a short term in prison which would by followed by a press release.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes and no

No more or less than an intelligent design advocate should be punished for pretending to be a scientist. In the end, the damage to professional and personal credibility ought to be enough. Of course, there is always a waiting cadre of similarly-guilty individuals to reinforce one's notions of validity, which leads us back to Cosmic's point above.

Critical reading. Even with what counts as journalism today, you can still get a reasonable sense of what's going on; just don't give over to any one single account.

Consider: If six people witness an event, honest descriptions will produce six variations of what has happened. Have six separate events occurred? Can any one account be trusted to represent the situation with complete accuracy?

Nonetheless, the more we know about the witnesses, the better we can understand the variations in their accounts.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

They should be, and it would put the right wing spin machine Fox News and radio out of business in a heartbeat. They also like to be deceptive, by omision. So that needs to be accounted for as well.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually one of the biggest deliberate lies put out by a media personality were the forged memos concern G W Bush in the National Guard. It was so badly done that the documents were produced on Microsoft Word. Which did not even exist in the early seventies. Despite the glaringly obvious nature of this fallacious attack Dant Rather (who should have known better) launcehd a left-wing style smear campaign.

So get off your high horse. Both parties play the same stupid tricks.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

has no one herd of defamation laws?

14. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Yes I think they should as the consequence of their falsehoods can be quite tragic....E.G. Peirs Morgan faking photos of UK soldiers torturing,urinating and beating Iraqi's,Afghans and then (IMO) so many months later london was bombed....Even though he is not entirely to blame there should be some charges of inciting terrorism, no-one is stupid enough to take the top of a pressure cooker with pressure still inside...so he knew exactly what he was doing..but hey ho no wonder he has done a runner to the US, the ch!t thing is he is now on TV what sort of example is this for the public...?

15. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I think they should be executed for it.

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

By the way, I am not joking, I really think they should be killed for it.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Peoples whole existences are based on lies.

They lie to you when your a baby, lie to you when you get older blah, blah, blah. Lie to you here, right here. Who cares if journalists lie? If you believe them or expect honesty 24\7 then you are an idiot.

Who gives a fuck?

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I agree. But if that were the case, Why is Judith Miller and the other guy (I forget his name), still on the NY Times ?

It just sickens me that they are still trusted with reporting after their reports convinced people that Iraq had WMDs.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Journalists are meant to be professional, and granted, everyone has their slants. John Pilger likes to omit things, and Fisk can mistranslate.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

true, but Dan Rather whether he forged the document or not, passed along what he knew was a lie. People might not remember, but Mr. Rather was a war correspondant and knew what Military memos looked like. They are very distinctive. this Memo was completely wrong on many levels. The simplest of which was the use of superscript font on numbers like 5th which military typewriters were not capable of. I was the first thing I noticed when I saw the report.

21. John99 Banned Banned

Come on. A child expects honesty.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its a business. Its about money. People watch stations, buy magazines and newspapers of reporters who catch their attention. I expect businesses tell the truth as often as politicians.
    And in many cases to say what they say is illegal and can be taken to court. If they keep their job and you don't like it, take your money elsewhere.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd say that lies and innuendo should be spread about the journalists that do the same with their reports about others.