The OTHER roots of belief

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Simon Anders, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

How well do you think you know the reasons you believe what you do?
    You may think, when considering other people, that they have their beliefs to soothe themselves, to justify their actions, because Daddy said it so it must be true....etc. IOW 'those people' belief what they believe because it makes them feel better or keeps them from feeling worse. Is it possible that you also believe things for similar reasons?
    Do you try to get to these OTHER roots of your beliefs?
    Do you think it is important for you to do this or only other people?
    What methods do you use?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I beleve in myself so I try to understand who I am everyday a little better. Perhaps the moment of my death I will understand fully of who I am but until then I just keep trying to learn more daily.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I believe what makes sense to me, I accept it need not make sense to everyone else.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

What methods do you use to try to understand yourself better?
    Have you ever discovered that you believed something for reasons other than the one's you previously thought?
    Feel free to be specific with the belief and what happened once you realized the roots were not what you had thought.

8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Have you ever realized, later, that something 'made sense' to you for reasons other than you thought. For example: it had seemed like you were rationally convinced by evidence and argument and experience. In fact it turned out that you had been selectively noticing things and potential problems with the arguments for emotional reasons. (there are other possible examples)

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"What methods do you use to try to understand yourself better?"

Listening to what others tell me about what they think about me. Educating myself through reading and schooling. Trying not to make the same mistakes more than once. Those are a few examples.

"Have you ever discovered that you believed something for reasons other than the one's you previously thought?

Yes, I was taught to believe in God but after seeking out the truth I now understand that there's no God ,per say, to me, but do understand why others still believe in him as I once did. Those people believe in what they are told to.

I was also told to believe that anyone other than my ethnic group , white, were less valued than whites which I learned in time is a very wrong belief to have and I have changed my beliefs many many years ago and see everyone as an equal. There's always smarter and less educated people everywhere but that's not due to their ethnicity.

"Feel free to be specific with the belief and what happened once you realized the roots were not what you had thought."

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure, happens all the time. One tends to have certain patterns in the way they think and sometimes, we are lucky enough to recognise it. For example, I always believed that western countries were rich because they were doing it right. I used to think poverty was self imposed because people like my parents had made their way inspite of it. That welfare was unnecessary and weakened society by catering to the lazy. I was lucky to be exposed to opportunities that showed me the shallowness of my thoughts.

11. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I make an effort (read: I write down a list of associations that come up in my mind in relation to a belief I hold, and then evaluate those associations) not to bug myself so much with why I believe this or that, but instead with whether acting on this or that belief would be good for me or not.
    Of course, this, too, comes down to why I believe this or that would be good for me or not. But once I analyze my beliefs down to this level, it gets so basic that I am left with unprovable premises and apriori positions that are to me a matter of life and death, and that I cannot justify other than with recourse to a particular religious philosophy.

I think it is important to investigate one's beliefs - for it is one's beliefs that inform one's (mental, verbal and bodily) actions, and one's actions then decide whether one will live in misery or in happiness.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No. Whatever I believe, I believe because I am convinced it is truth even if it's counterproductive.

13. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

That is actually begging the question - to believe because you are convinced it is the truth. "To believe x" means "to be convinced x is true" anyway.

You yet have to answer why you believe whatever you believe - why you are convinced it is true.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There is no single answer to that.

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Feel free to be specific.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't know what I believe.. :shrug:

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Believe in what you are and what you stand for.

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Do you ever actively seek out an evaluation or someone's opinion? (and, by the way, that certain fits what I mean) IOW, do you ever have a nagging doubt or question in your own mind about yourself or how you came to a particular belief and ask other people to give you their impression of you as a way to find out about yourself.
    I can see how this might affect your beliefs, but have you ever read something and realized that the reasons you thought you believed something were actually not the real reasons.

So you believed because you were told that this was true - by adults/parents? And then it sounds like other people told you different ideas about other races. At any point in this process did you find out that the reasons you believed something were not the reasons you thought. For example. Some white men think that black men are better lovers. Rather than facing this fear directly they have projected their anger about this onto the black men and seen them as rapists. So the white men thought their belief that black men were sexually aggressive was based on statistics or accurate street theories, when in fact their belief was based on a fear of sexual inadequacy that was not being faced directly.

This is an example of what I mean. How the actual underpinnings or cause of a belief is not what the conscious mind thinks it is. And how one becomes aware of the real reasons. And then how one can get better at finding the real reasons.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

So, luck or circumstance presented you with counterexamples and this changed your belief. But that is not quite what I was getting at.

You believed Western countries were doing it right. You probably thought you had reached this conclusion rationally - look how many cars they have? and whatever somewhat thought out or not so thought out arguments and observations that seemed to support this theory.

Later you encountered the counterexamples or evidence that your belief was possible not correct and then more clearly you decided 'not correct'.

Did you, after this change, realize that your beliefs earlier might have actually not been based on rational arguments and observations? For example, guilt or shame could make one be selective in the way one takes in information and so you drew conclusions that fit these feelings.

Or...

Perhaps it would have scared you to think they did not deserve their wealth. You could, for example, have been afraid of your own anger. Or that it might seem like a lack of humility to judge others.

My interest here is not so much how we change beliefs, but rather how do we find out the real reasons we have a belief.