Which one is more scientific: Allopathy or Homeopathy?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Dr. Nancy Malik, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

In allopathy, new medicines (sources are mostly chemical/synthetic) are constantly being created, tested in test-tubes, sick persons, or animals (rats), and going in and out of market every few years once their side effects (typical examples are of steroids, antibiotics, hormones) become obvious to the general public. How many allopathic drugs of yesterday can be found on the chemists' shelves today? They all had their day, and their alluring names have faded into oblivion (because they are declared ineffective or dangerous), only to be replaced by newer drugs.

Homeopathic medicines (prepared from many natural substances such as herbs and minerals) used in the times of Dr. S. Hahnemann (200 yrs back) are used even today because of their efficacy. They have been tried and tested on healthy human beings. They are known, trusted, and reliable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Allopathy (modern medicine).
    Homeopathy is largely crackpottery.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The goals are different, homeopathy is used for treatment, while allopathy is generally palliative.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm I don't really agree, although I admit that it's has become something of a culture to suppress.

What about the virtually infinitely diluted solutions Homeopathy works with ?
    And their claims that water molecules that have been in contact with the active substance remember it somehow ?

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

The question was not about goals but about which was the more scientific. As homeopathy is not science based, the answer is obvious.

9. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Steriods, antibiotics and hormones are off the market? That's news to me.

No, not 'news', that's not the word... ah, wrong, yes. Wrong was the word I was looking for. As in: No, that's wrong. Or: You're wrong about that. Or: Well, that's just plain wrong.
    Even if that wasn't weaselly vague ("Drugs of yesterday"? Which ones?), it'd still be wrong. Cortisone, penicillin and aspirin, are examples of a very old drugs that are still very much in use, very effective, and very much not homeopathic.

Now, let's grant you that your statement does carry a minute grain of truth - sometimes drugs are pulled off the market when further studies reveal stuff that the clinical trials did not find. This is obviously more scientific than what happens in homeopathy, where, if something doesn't work, well, it's certainly not the sheer idiocy of homeopathy that's at fault, there must be something else wrong, like, are you sure you believed hard enough, or, try this other glass of water for your meningitis...

So, you attack a specific practice that makes actual medicine more scientific than homeopathy. Shoot yourself in the foot much?
    And yet completely worthless, as they consist of nothing but water, and dangerous, as they can lure trusting fools and innocent ignorants away from the medicine that could actually help them. Oh, and no, that's wrong.

Your perfomance rates as: Wrong! Thanks for playing, come again!

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

Homeopathy is mumbo-jumbo but , as with many forms of ritual magic, it works for some people.

I find it interesting that water appears to lose its "memory " for all previous contacts as soon as the homeopath adds his potions and dilutes it . There is no logical explanation for this, despite which some people believe it.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, the placebo-effect is undeniable. But this is true for modern medicine as well.

Exactly.. lol

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No shit...

My mum once tried homeopathy for my autistic brother when he was a lil kid. Went off it after this woman kept telling her he had mercury poisoning because he had a habit of pulling a face where he would flick his eyes to the extreme left. (he went past that phase, and pulled different faces instead after a while).

13. Myles Registered Senior Member

14. Myles Registered Senior Member

I believe the placebo affect works for about one in three people whatever medicine they are given. The success rate is much higher with man-made drugs despite problems associated with side effects in some cases.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

I would say homeopathy. I actually created an essay on it, a few years back when it gained quite a lot of interest from physicists. Peace :m:

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

nither is truly scientific but moden med is moving towards it. EBM is a HUGE movement within the heath culture and it just gets closer to all practices being surported by clinical resurch. This can be shown by the change in the clincial practice guidlines 2 years ago for CPR. Before that the guidlines were for a compressions to breath ratio of 15:2. However a world wide study found that 30 compressions to a breath has a better survial rate because the the drop in pressure with CPR compared to SA node pacing is so much greater that the circulation of blood is more important than getting more O2 into the lungs.

Homeopathy on the other hand has no clincal resurch to back it up, as i will prove in the formal debate starting this sunday

There for even though nither is purly based on the scientific method, med goes a HELL of a lot further than homeopathy

Oh and sam 2 things

Firstly med isnt about palitive care ONLY, management is a last resort when a cure isnt avilable. Secondly would you like in on the debate proving that homeopathy isnt puedoscience?

17. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Fail.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

Say something constructive for once. I dare you Hercules.

19. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

It's wrong to supress the disease further depper in to the body. It will come bak afte some time, this time with greater intensity.

By ultra dilution, you get rid of side (bad) effects of medicine, and you did not torure your body to undergo high material/crude doses of drugs

20. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

According to a 1970 edition of Webster’s New World dictionary, the word comes from the Latin sciens, present participle of scire, to know. The dictionary says: 1. originally, knowledge. 2. systematized knowledge derived from observation, study and experimentation. 3. a branch of knowledge, especially one concerned with establishing and systematizing facts, principles and methods. 4. a). the systematized knowledge of nature. b). any branch of this.

Homeopathy, for example, is a science because all knowledge pertaining to homeopathic medicines is derived from observation, study and experimentation

21. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

People are moving away from antibiotics, striods and harmones because of severe sie effects. They prefer if they are not a part of their perscription.

Homeopathic medicies used 200 years ago are still being used. How many allopathic drugs used 200 years back are being used today?

It's not just water. It is a energy carrying the imprints of medicine

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

The fact that med gets BETTER as it goes on PROVES its more scientific than homeopathics

23. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

Homeopathy is an evedince based medicine. The proof of its efficacy manifests in millions of people world wide who have been benefitted and cured by homeopathy.

Homeopathy is supported by worldwide clinical research.

Allopathy has no cure for many disease. In allopathy, if the disease can not be diagnosed, there can be no treatment.