What won't stick to Epoxy?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Diode-Man, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Hey, I'm working on a mold for an invention of mine, I require something that can be sprayed or painted that won't stick to epoxy. I tried polyurethane and the epoxy sticks to it. (or even something that can be assembled for a crude mold, where the material itself won't stick to epoxy)

Anything I can buy at the hardware store that will work as a mold release? :shrug:

(besides: "Mold Release, Parting Agent for Epoxy Resin" since I don't want to wait forever on shipping)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Saran wrap, or plastic wrap. Waxed paper. Furniture paste wax. Vaseline (petroleum jelly). Thin vaseline with naptha and it will become paintable, let the naptha evaporate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Ahh, thanks for the info

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yup, I've made lots of molds.

8. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

This is becoming quite discouraging. I've tried it with plastic wrap, Vaseline and tin foil. None of them worked... Since I'm going to be making a mold that has to last through a bunch of uses, I don't think waxed paper would do the job. The epoxy seams to break down the Vaseline so that it just absorbs into my mix.

I would try motor oil, but that would be a major pain to remove after the epoxy hardens...

The epoxy also breaks down craft hot glue. RRRrrrr!!

Any other suggestions?

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hmm. Try your skin. Start with something non-vital like your gonads, though.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

acording to wikipedia it doesnt look like there is a substance it wont stick to.

seems your best bet would be to soak your mold in vingar before using it but that might destroy the epoxy compleatly

11. kmguru Staff Member

PTFE plastic should work. I have done a lot of candle bases etc. from kits that use some type of plastic as the mold pattern. They work very well.

12. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Ahh... the space age glue is good... almost too good!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for the input everyone

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Read my PM, Diode-Man. There are things epoxy will not stick to, but it depends on several factors. Some mold materials like silicone don't require much, if any mold release for most materials (besides other silicone).

Heat is a factor. Trying to cast in thick sections is a bad practice with epoxy, for large parts, you are better off with polyurethane resins. Thick sections will generate tremendous heat, enough to melt some mold materials, and make release agenst useless. Using epoxy just to impregnate fiberglass cloth generates little heat.

There is also another factor, the texture of the material you are trying to protect. It's possible to acheive a mechnical bond, even if there is no chemical bond.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

If you have a good casting plastic that recommends a particular mold-release material, it looks like at this rate you're going to end up waiting for the mold-release whether you want to or not. Good luck with that.

15. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Have you tried silicone spray lubricant?

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Are you trying to get loose from a road sign? Be honest.

17. Facial Valued Senior Member

Greased, plastic shopping bags.

18. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

hmmm.... with all this information I cannot fail! Once my product is complete I'll post a photo on here and you people can buy it if you are into night time longboarding.... *hint*

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'm only into nighttime waterboarding, sorry.

20. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

waterboarding at night? Is that even safe dude?

Hmmm.... lights on a surfboard? I would like that, but its not safe.... is it?

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually I do most of my waterboarding in sandy places. Trust me, it's plenty safe.

Well, for me.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

What about that special type of plastic you have in... things like those dolls they used to make called ''Stretch-Armstrongs?''

In other words, i have no idea